Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symbian Is Over ( Symbian-Guru.com )

Options
  • 02-07-2010 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

"As of today, I will no longer be updating Symbian-Guru.com, and will be purchasing an Android-powered smartphone – my new Nexus One should arrive tomorrow. I’ve been a Nokia fanboy since 1999, and a Symbian fanboy since I got my Nokia 6620 in summer of 2004. Since then, I’ve personally owned 10+ different Symbian-powered smartphones, and have reviewed nearly every Symbian-powered smartphone that’s been released in the past 3 years or so. I’ve tried to use all of Nokia’s various products and services to the best of my ability, and I just can’t do it anymore. Thanks to Nokia's consistently piss-poor hardware choices and Symbian's lack of ability to even remotely compete in terms of features."

Full Article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I too had come to the conclusion that Nokia are going downhill very rapidly. They do actually make good hardware. My previous N95 was fantastic but the devotion to Symbian is a dead duck and meego is a weak response.

They should have followed HTCs lead and concentrated on building good hardware combined with their UI resourcing abilities.

Even Microsoft are going to get it right with wm7 as they are targeting links to xbox and gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Must admit, I've got to agree with his post. I've always been a huge fan of Nokia. Most of my phones have been Nokias. Once or twice I tried other phones: A samsung and a Sony Ericsson and something else I can't remember. I always went back to a Nokia though as I was unhappy with the other phones. I always thought the design and OS layout was best on the Nokias. I just purchased a Nokia 5800 XP last year and thought it was pretty cool. When I installed handyshell on it it seemed to be a pretty decent smartphone. Could install skype (Via Nimbuzz). Could read my email and browse the web etc. I had (and still have) no interest in the iphone.: Style over substance IMHO.

Then I started paying attention to Android..... Two weeks ago I bought the HTC Desire. And all other phones I had, including my 8 month old Nokia, seemed like toys in comparison. (So much so that I gave my nokia to my 12 yearold niece. Perfect age for that phone I think.

I enjoyed Nokia phones and think their build quality is fantastic but I think I'll stick to my Android. Roll on Froyo(Or 3.0 or whatever the Desire is getting)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

My last phone before my nexus was an omnia i8910 with symbian and by god the OS was just a shambles. Spent about 700 euro on the phone and had moved to a nexus after about 6 months. Once you get a look at a proper os like android theres just no way you can go back to a symbian without cringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Totally agree with TheIrishGrover. My story is the same, except I've never had anything but Nokias, and traded up to android from an N95-8gb. Nokia is an aging giant who's trying to keep up with the times but just can't seem to get it right anymore, at least not in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They make the best hardware out of all the phone makers out today but they just can't seem to get their software up to scratch. Symbian is rubbish as of now and MeeGo is their only hope. The only problem is that they're refusing to let symbian go but I just can't see any future for it with Android, iOS and WinP 7 all gaining so much ground. Maemo/Meego is their only hope now and they just can't seem to realise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

They make the best hardware out of all the phone makers out today but they just can't seem to get their software up to scratch. Symbian is rubbish as of now and MeeGo is their only hope. The only problem is that they're refusing to let symbian go but I just can't see any future for it with Android, iOS and WinP 7 all gaining so much ground. Maemo/Meego is their only hope now and they just can't seem to realise it.
    I think theyre starting to understand but it could just be too little too late
    Symbian is being retired for Nokia's flagship range of phones, with the 720p-shooting N8 being the last phone to see the dated OS running on its little body. From now on, it's MeeGo all the way. MeeGo, if you remember, is the offspring from Nokia's Maemo platform and Intel's Moblin, and is intended for tablets and smartphones.
    The news was announced by Nokia's spokesperson Doug Dawson, who confirmed that "going forward, N-Series devices will be based on MeeGo."
    It's hardly final curtains for Symbian, which will still be used in other low-end devices by Nokia (and Samsung and Sony Ericsson), but it's great that Nokia is finally seeing the light and realizing that people need more from their smartphones now.
    http://gizmodo.com/5571633/nokia-ditching-symbian-for-n+series-phones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I think they are going to struggle with Meego. Unless they can attract mucho developers to the platform and get their app store (do they have one?) littered with apps they are never going to be mainstream. The lesson Apple thought us is that is not just about the handset - its about the eco system and everything around the handset. Android/Google got this and have stepped up (or gone even further) and have a very competitive offering.

Nokia have a long way to go if they are to even make the #3 spot when it comes to smartphones. I know people can quote units shipped and all that and show that nokia still sell a lot of phones but those are historical numbers. Not peoples intentions in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

elderlemon wrote: »
    I think they are going to struggle with Meego. Unless they can attract mucho developers to the platform and get their app store (do they have one?) littered with apps they are never going to be mainstream. The lesson Apple thought us is that is not just about the handset - its about the eco system and everything around the handset. Android/Google got this and have stepped up (or gone even further) and have a very competitive offering.

Nokia have a long way to go if they are to even make the #3 spot when it comes to smartphones. I know people can quote units shipped and all that and show that nokia still sell a lot of phones but those are historical numbers. Not peoples intentions in the future.
    Well MeeGo is pretty much just a modified version Debian ARM Linux. Thousands of apps and thousands of developers. All they need to do is make it more userfriendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

BeciMester wrote: »
    Nokia is an aging giant who's trying to keep up with the times but just can't seem to get it right anymore, at least not in my eyes.
    Actually, y'know, that's it exactly. It's a 45 yearold dad trying to be hip and down with his kids........ embarassing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I'm jumping on this bandwagon. I've been a Nokia fan since my first bad experience using another brand (Siemens) several years ago. My current phone is an e63 and while generally impressive, it lags far behind the capabilities of the Android phones.

Annoyances:
    • The Ovi Contacts has never worked.
    • The Ovi Store has to be accessed from the phone, has limited aps, is slow and badly designed. Really bad compared to Apple's app store
    • The Skype client stops working every few weeks and has to be reinstalled
    • The stupid built-in Nokia bookmarks in the browser can't be moved or deleted
    • Nokia's push email works only intermittently. Gmail's free app is far better.
    • The comms connection system is just stupid. Bloody pop-up box every time you launch an application. Have to use 3rd party software to set the phone to try wifi and then 3g. After you've set it up, you still can't set all programs to use this default setup.
    • No native facebook app
    • Several browser options but they all have big faults
    • The layout of the menus is nonsensical. Why are the options to set the short cut buttons and the on-screen short cut buttons in different places?
    So year. Grr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

"Symbian is being retired for Nokia's flagship range of phones, with the 720p-shooting N8 being the last phone to see the dated OS running on its little body. From now on, it's MeeGo all the way. MeeGo, if you remember, is the offspring from Nokia's Maemo platform and Intel's Moblin, and is intended for tablets and smartphones. The news was announced by Nokia's spokesperson Doug Dawson, who confirmed that "going forward, N-Series devices will be based on MeeGo."

Why kill off potentional N8 sales by sticking Symbian on it when it will get zero support from Nokia or developer? Stupidity like that is the reason so many customers have dropped Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Well MeeGo is pretty much just a modified version Debian ARM Linux. Thousands of apps and thousands of developers. All they need to do is make it more userfriendly.

I'd disagree, take a look at the maemo downloads, loads of app's relating to python development and other such stuff, very few apps to get the common punter or business user excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bambi wrote: »
    I'd disagree, take a look at the maemo downloads, loads of app's relating to python development and other such stuff, very few apps to get the common punter or business user excited.

Correct. The key problems for Nokia are that their efforts have not been directed at touch screens as the primary user interface. They've been very late getting into that game and the results have been poor.

Also android has been designed top down as a phone OS but meego is a normal computing platform that just so happens to have a phone interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Using Symbian-powered Nokia phones just sucks the life out of you. Maybe Nokia can improve things with future versions of Symbian and more RAM, but why wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Nokia make the best camera phones

If they came to Android with that kind of Hardware camerawork ability, it would make me go to it. Nokia just need to embrace Android, even Iphone have been forced to recognise that the methods android have embraced with multi tasking and cut and paste etc that they didnt have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nokia make the best camera phones

If they came to Android with that kind of Hardware camerawork ability, it would make me go to it. Nokia just need to embrace Android, even Iphone have been forced to recognise that the methods android have embraced with multi tasking and cut and paste etc that they didnt have.

the n900 has cut and paste and multitasking, only problem is that given it's debian origin's it's use as a phone OS brings to mind the term "lipstick on a pig"
    :pac:

Advertisement