Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roof materials

Options
  • 01-07-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how much roof material would cost for a 2500 sqft dormer style house? I know its hard to say with out seeing house but Im dying to know a ball park figure for the material. We are waiting weeks for list of material from roofer to go pricing.

We have been quoted labour prices ranging from €6500 to €14500!! Its amazing the difference in prices in every trade when you really shop around!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

joanene wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has an idea of how much roof material would cost for a 2500 sqft dormer style house? I know its hard to say with out seeing house but Im dying to know a ball park figure for the material. We are waiting weeks for list of material from roofer to go pricing.

We have been quoted labour prices ranging from €6500 to €14500!! Its amazing the difference in prices in every trade when you really shop around!

Thanks

My house is 3000sqft, materials are 10k + VAT and labour is €5,200 cash.
    Without seeing your house it's impossible to give a half decent estimation especially dependent on the roof's complexity, mine is very straight forward 2 storey. But a ball parks go, i suppose you could use mine as an indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Peter Sweeney

Price will depend on type of roof coverings used, ie. fibre cement roof slates, bangor slates, clay or cement roof tiles, type of flashings used, aluminium, lead, etc and degree of difficulty in tiling roof.

Make sure you see samples of slates / tiles and visit a finished similar house with the same roof slates / tiles before you commit to the recommended tiles / slates.
    Also look at guarantee for the slates and the company who are supplying them.

For health and safety reasons and the inherent dangers associated in roofing insure that the works are covered with insurance and with scaffolding in-situ.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

+1 on insurance and scaffolding sign-off by a certified scaffolder, you really dont want to end up losing your shiny new house because some one had an accident on site. In my case I didnt go for "all risks" so I took a chance on a few bits going missing on site, but I made sure the self-build fire insurance and public liability was in place before clearing the site, and the scaffolder had signed off the scaffolding before anyone started using it.

Most good engineers/ architects will refuse to deal with any self builder that wants to cut corners in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A guide price a roofer gave me was €63 per sq m (of roof), to supply and fit felt, battens, conc slate, etc. Add your first fix timber to that.

As for pricing around, remember this: you always, but always, get what you pay for - and the roof is a very important part in your house 'jig-saw'. If it leaks, or gives trouble.......well, you can guess for yourself........

Quality of timber has a huge bearing. Personally, I would only use imported stuff, but that's just me ...(there's another thread going on this already.....)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement