Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking Tortoise Here.

Options
  • 01-07-2010 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Have had it in the back of my mind for the last 5 to 10 years that I'd love a bike. Now the funny thing is that I have no interest what so ever in going fast. I far rather like the idea of simply cruising around well within the speed limits.

I'm up north so would have to start with say a 125, but would love a Harley down the line. I'm beginning to think that something with that engine size might even suffice, so my question is should I think about spending more now on something long term with that engine size or will the bug make me want to go bigger?

Anyone else started into biking this way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

When you say 'up North', do you mean.........'Norn Iron'..... ??:D

Seriously, if you're in the RoI, you can buy and ride a Harley on a provisional anyway !

If you're under NI or UK jurisdiction, you could do your lessons and test on a school bike, and then go shopping, for whatever you like. Direct Access I think it's called iirc..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Virago 125 / Marauder 125 / Rebel 125 / Shadow 125.

HF.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

start low and aim high boy ,,,,theres no harm in getting as many miles as you can on a small low powered bike before u move up cc,s like ,,,and gradualy step up in power aswell 50 100 250 400 500 600 750 900 1000 1100 1200 1300 and so on woteva u have the pockets for ,,it all starts from the basics:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »

Seriously, if you're in the RoI, you can buy and ride a Harley on a provisional anyway !

If you're under NI or UK jurisdiction, you could do your lessons and test on a school bike, and then go shopping, for whatever you like. Direct Access I think it's called iirc..........

AFAIK Norn Iorn doesn't have Direct access, at least when I was looking at doing my test a few years ago they didn't. You can only do that in England, Scotland or Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A lot depends on your age, your budget and to a lesser extent, your physical size. The advent of training and restrictors means that an awful lot of bikes are open to you from the word go. I started on a prov license on a restricted bandit 600. 4 months later, I was on a restricted 1400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

If it's custom bikes you're into, why not start with something like a 250cc Virago. It's aV-twin (and so has that custom look), is well within learner limits, but has that little bit more grunt than its 125cc little brother. Which means you're less likely to get bored on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Picked up an old Suzuki GN125 \o/. When I say old its 14 year old, but has very low milage and the price was good, so in all probably a good place to start.

The whole bike test situation in the North seems to be a minefield so I'm going to have to chat someone about it as soon as possible. In the mean time will pick up some bike gear etc. What gear is a must, and what can I get away with as a fair weather biker to start with?

Anyone any advice on were to start, its been 20 years since I was on a bike, and even then it was hairing around fields on a trials or scrambler!

PS turned 40 there last week, so the whole mid life crisis jibes are flying around in the family LOL!

Well have the 125 on the road now and will start with a few lessons in the next week or three.

Also have an XF650 picked up with a full years test.

159973.jpg

She has 23000 odd mile and came with two sets of luggage, both Givi, and heated grips. Bike is really clean and I cant wait to get out on it, so this should spur me onto getting the test quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

galwaytt wrote: »

I thought that 250CC was the limit for a Provisional license holder down here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

TheFairy wrote: »
    Picked up an old Suzuki GN125 \o/. When I say old its 14 year old, but has very low milage and the price was good, so in all probably a good place to start.

The whole bike test situation in the North seems to be a minefield so I'm going to have to chat someone about it as soon as possible. In the mean time will pick up some bike gear etc. What gear is a must, and what can I get away with as a fair weather biker to start with?

Anyone any advice on were to start, its been 20 years since I was on a bike, and even then it was hairing around fields on a trials or scrambler!

PS turned 40 there last week, so the whole mid life crisis jibes are flying around in the family LOL!

Spot on. A great place to start. You will have great fun. Take it easy though and treat everyone on the road as if they don't see you and if they do they're trying to kill you. Also assume there is some idiot parked around every bend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

HellsAngel wrote: »
    I thought that 250CC was the limit for a Provisional license holder down here ?
    Not the engine cc size that matters,its the bhp or power/weight ratio that have the limits-33bhp or 0.16kw/kg
    You can ride any bike on a learner permit once the bike is restricted

Well passed the final test today \o/. Only 4 minor errors during the test, even with me mishearing the tester and doing a U Turn and driving back past him again, his face was priceless. Fair play to him, he just told me to do another U Turn and carry on. Plenty of shoulder looks and the rest was easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Good for you!! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

TheFairy wrote: »
    Well passed the final test today \o/. Only 4 minor errors during the test, even with me mishearing the tester and doing a U Turn and driving back past him again, his face was priceless. Fair play to him, he just told me to do another U Turn and carry on. Plenty of shoulder looks and the rest was easy.

Excellent stuff - greatest feeling in the world, passing your test!

Don't get cocky though - They are all out to get you !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hahaha driving back passed him. Nice one. Congrats on passing.
    Hope your enjoying the bike.

Advertisement