Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competitions for Beginners

Options
  • 01-07-2010 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi,

I've been a member of an archery club for 3 years. I rarely go in to the club and practice mostly at home. I think it's time i entered a competition.

Is it possible for a beginner like me to enter a competition? Im 39 so i wouldn't like to be competing against children, but i am not yet very good and am definately at beginner level.

I see from the website that you can get awards that determine what level you shoot at but have no idea how to get them.

any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Hi there RT,

Competition is the best place to learn and if you start going you will pick up a load of tips and skills just by osmosis!

The rankings are based on outdoor FITA scores. Basically, a "FITA Round" is 36 arrows at 90m, 36 at 70m, 36 at 50m and 36 at 30m. This gives a theoretical maximum score of 1440 (nobody has ever achieved this!). The rankings you have spotted are based on the maximum score you have achieved at a FITA round, generally devided into 1000s. So the "ranks" would be
    • <1000
    • 1000+
    • 1100+
    • 1200+
    • 1300+
    • 1350+
    • 1400+

Badges are then given out when you go up a level. At most competitions (at least outdoors) you only compete against those at the same level as you. Once you achieve a score that boosts you to a new level then thats were you compete from then on.

All the children would be competing in the Cadet or Junior competitions so no worries there, you would be in the Senior <1000 category and you won't be alone so lots of people to share the target with. You would be very welcome to shoot with us at any competition, next one is Galway I think in 2 weeks. As far as I know there will be a FITA round on one of the days (as described above) and the other day will be olympic - all arrows shot at 70m.

Alternatively, if its your first outdoor you can choose to shoot a Short Metric round - this is two rounds at 50m and two at 30m. There are always people shooting the SM round to get used to outdoors so again, lots of people to have a good day out with!

Advertisement