Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

psychology dcu

• 01-07-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I know its late to be panicking but my daughter has the new BSc in psychology in DCU on her CAO form and I am worried by the fact that being a new course it is not yet accredited by the PSI. I know DCU is a very reputable college and they are applying for accreditation so I hope I am silly to be worrying. Any reassurance? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Grigzz

Hi, there should not be much need to worry about this course. The PsI cannot consider a course to be accredited until it has a full throughput of students. In effect they need to check the quality of the course and their students, but can only do that at various stages of the 3-4 years. There are far more psychology courses at undergrad level, than when I began my studies and dcu would not run the risk of missing out on student places by running a course which would not meet PsI criteria. Through a system known as grandfathering all students of a course which has met accreditation critera will also het that status.

Hope this removes some of your fears. One thing I would point out though is the long and often fustrating process in becoming a psychologist. I hope your daughter has researched this as it generally takes upwards of ten years to complete training! Not to put her off the course, as a psychology degree is a rewarding avenue to go down, but on it's own is not particularly valuable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jofe

Thanks for your reply, makes me feel better, though as you say, the psychology route is a long and not very clear one. Personally, as a parent, I would have preferred her to pick something more certain, where you do your four years and are qualified, but she is adamant that this is what she wants to do. We have had many heated discussions about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

jofe wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, makes me feel better, though as you say, the psychology route is a long and not very clear one. Personally, as a parent, I would have preferred her to pick something more certain, where you do your four years and are qualified, but she is adamant that this is what she wants to do. We have had many heated discussions about it!

There's not many courses out there that you can do four years and be qualified at something, and be able to walk straight into a job. Most will require further study or work experience of some form or another.

Best wishes to your daughter in whatever path she chooses :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There's not many courses out there that you can do four years and be qualified at something, and be able to walk straight into a job. Most will require further study or work experience of some form or another.

Best wishes to your daughter in whatever path she chooses :)

yes, a degree is now worth what the LC used to be worth, and a masters is worth what a degree used to be worth. When I left school in the early 80s, you got a job in the bank with the LC; now most tellers have a degree.

Even if your daughter doesn't choose to pursue a career as a psychologist, she'll have 3 or 4 years of studying an interesting subject which will be useful for all sorts of other professions or careers. Studying something interesting (but not all aspects of psych will be interesting!) is a joy. Hope she enjoys it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jofe

I was just responding to the valid point that Grigzz made about the frustrating process of becoming a psychologist, when he kindly responded to my question about the course in DCU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭notsobadinc

hi guys-my bro has been offered a place at waterford it in psychology but i never heard of the course there-does anyone know of it or it it is psi accredited-he wants a degree in psychology but is unsure if this is the place to go or is dbs a better option...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Halladubha72

Hi i'm just searching for information about psychology in UCD and I see your concerns about your daughter doing psychology 7 years ago. My daughter is now doing her leaving cert and wants to do psychology in UCD and I'm just wondering how did your daughter get on? What did she do with her degree when she was finished? I'm a bit concerned about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Halladubha72, the original poster hasn't posted anything on boards for 6 years. Would you like to start a new thread, with your own questions? JC

Advertisement