Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT dodgey requirements- diesel car disclaimer

Options
  • 01-07-2010 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I brought my 'diesel' car to get NCT'd recently and they made my sign a disclaimer- only diesel cars sign this - but the test is the same for all cars.(the test is mandatory and so is signing the form). The disclaimer states that your car is in sound, working condition.

I think this sounds very dodgey but also discriminatory to diesel cars.
    Why is the test the same for all cars yet diesels are being singled out with the disclaimer?
    My car engine subsequently died straight after the test- while still at the centre but as it was being driven out. Technically it was still under the remit of the tester. The tester gave me the NCT form showing that the car was fine. But the engine died when it was in his possession and he recommended that I didnt drive it!
    No one is taking responsibility.
    Anyone any advice or similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

VM1 wrote: »
    I brought my 'diesel' car to get NCT'd recently and they made my sign a disclaimer- only diesel cars sign this - but the test is the same for all cars.(the test is mandatory and so is signing the form). The disclaimer states that your car is in sound, working condition.

I think this sounds very dodgey but also discriminatory to diesel cars.
    Why is the test the same for all cars yet diesels are being singled out with the disclaimer?
    My car engine subsequently died straight after the test.
    No one is taking responsibility.
    Anyone any advice or similar experiences?

Are you sure it was not a disclaimer that the timing belt has been done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 VM1

Definitely not the timing belt. Just a disclaimer to say that I declare my car is in fit working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Definitely not the timing belt. Just a disclaimer to say that I declare my car is in fit working order.

I think I remember hearing something about this in reference to revving the diesel hard..harder than you would need to in daily driving. I wonder how it covers them legally, looks like you'll be finding out though, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

that is the disclamer for the timing belt, thats the only disclamer they ask you to sign and its incase the belt snaps during the test. I would reckon whatever problem caused your car to cut was already present before the test

They rev the guts out of diesels for the emissions test as said above, up to the redline. They don't do this for petrols. I think it's a fairly daft test.

• Advertisement

that is the disclamer for the timing belt, thats the only disclamer they ask you to sign and its incase the belt snaps during the test. I would reckon whatever problem caused your car to cut was already present before the test

Sorry but I'm with kildare.17 on this thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 VM1

I am not disputing that the car had something wrong but i just think its not right that the test is the same for all cars but they are making the diesels sign the disclaimer. surely this is indicating that the test needs to be changed to accomodate diesels differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

I had to sign a similar disclaimer when i brought my car in the be tested (diesel focus). This is my first diesel car and I never had to sign any disclaimer when having my previous cars tested. I asked the tester why and he told me it was because they have to rev the car so high for the emissions test.

On a sidenote; I watched while he was doing the test and the guy revving the ****e out of it. All the time he was doing this he was texting on his mobile phone and paying no attention to the rev counter or any of his own equipment. I Took my own phone out to video it incase something happened but fortunately nothing did.

Sorry to hear about your car OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....mmm, I'm not enamoured with the idea of them flogging the nuts of mine, either, tbh. I see nothing to justify them doing something to my engine that I wouldn't do myself.

So, is there an easy way to set a rev limit on it, via, say the OBD port, before it goes in ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I am not disputing that the car had something wrong but i just think its not right that the test is the same for all cars but they are making the diesels sign the disclaimer. surely this is indicating that the test needs to be changed to accomodate diesels differently?
    It is differant, they get you to sign the disclamer! nothing else is needed

• Advertisement

Lads if the car is fine there is no problem, if you have neglected your motor and not had things done when they should have been done, ie timing belt, then you should worry. it needs to be done to test the emissions on the diesel end of! as for the guy on the phone, unprofessional but thats all, he does not need to look at the rev counter as he knows he is reving it out and only needs to look at his screen when he is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Read the NCT test handbook that's downloadable on the site. The test involves revving diesel engines up to the limiter, whatever that is, so no need for him to be looking at the rev counter on the car or his equipment. Petrol engines are only revved up to a more modest level, only 2.5k rpm IIRC.

Mine's survived two of these so far with no troubles, so I can only assume there was something wrong with your car beforehand that the test brought to light. The fact that you never rev the car up to the red line is irrelevant, it's only for a brief period, and if it was unsafe for the engine to be at those revs for such a short period, then I'm sure the manufacturer would have set a lower limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Alun wrote: »
    ...if it was unsafe for the engine to be at those revs for such a short period, then I'm sure the manufacturer would have set a lower limit.

Then why make you sign a disclaimer?

Repolho wrote: »
    INCASE YOUR TIMING BELT SNAPS!! ffs man this has been said already! no need to sign for petrol cars as they are not reved high! how is that so hard to understand???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have done hundreds of smoke tests on diesels. The reason they are reved is because the test is done to measure the opacity of the smoke and not its content.

Only once in all the time of doing them have I come close to damaging an engine. It was a 97 Caddy van and when I started to rev it I could here it clatter. The timing was out so I didn't finish the smoke test.

Once you have done them for a while you will have no need to watch the rev counter, you will know when it is close to red lining. It should not be held on redline, only reved to it and then let the throttle off

Repolho wrote: »

If a car has been looked after as per manufacturer's spec, i.e serviced correctly and correct parts used.
    Then it will be ok to hit it off the limiter BUT you have to sign the Disclaimer for the NCT guys as they do not know if you have or have not looked after it in such a way.

This only came about as many people hadn't and the firm had to cop out a load of money for new engines for cars that were in bad condition via neglect and could have thrown the belt on the way there never mind during the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

tombull82 wrote: »
    This only came about as many people hadn't and the firm had to cop out a load of money for new engines for cars that were in bad condition via neglect and could have thrown the belt on the way there never mind during the test.

"Twas a grand little yoke til the NCT boys got it, shur I was driving it around for years and it never had to see the inside of a garage for anything,grand yoke so it was":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....mmm, I'm not enamoured with the idea of them flogging the nuts of mine, either, tbh. I see nothing to justify them doing something to my engine that I wouldn't do myself.

So, is there an easy way to set a rev limit on it, via, say the OBD port, before it goes in ?
    AFAIK all engines have rev limiters these days - the only way to overrev is to downshift at speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ya all engines would have electronic rev limiters. No problem in hitting it as long as the car is maintained correctly.

Advertisement