Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best campsites

Options
  • 01-07-2010 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

What is Hidden Valley in Rathdrum like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

What is Hidden Valley in Rathdrum like?

Stayed in Hidden valley last year and thought it was good, they have kayaks that you can hire cheaply and paddle around a shallow lake...my oldest lad loved it. Then there is a river on the campsite which is great. Rathdrum town centre only a short walk. Will go back again this year for a night or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

good site , very clean and well run , been there 4 times this yr and hope fully a few more times yet

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dibble

Myself, my wife, and the two boys stayed in a camper van here on Fri & Sat night and had a ball. We found the site to be very clean and child friendly. We visited Greenan Farm on Saturday afternoon which is just up the road from the campsite and well worth a visit. All told, a great weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 qwertyphobia1

The new owner in hidden valley seams a bit grumpy and in your face but they have done a nice job with improving the facilities.

I camped this weekend in Lakeside down near Scarrif in Co. Clare and think it's a great place. Lovely wooded lakeside site.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

The new owner in hidden valley seams a bit grumpy and in your face but they have done a nice job with improving the facilities.

I camped this weekend in Lakeside down near Scarrif in Co. Clare and think it's a great place. Lovely wooded lakeside site.

Thats the one in Mountshannon? if so thats a fantastic campsite, we stopped there one friday night as a half way point on our way south. We liked it so much that we decided to stay there for the weekend.
    highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

We stayed there at the weekend, and there are negaitve and positives.

Firstly it is SO over-priced, for an 2 adults 2 children its costs €36, this may be only slightly above average but it doesnt mean that it is not over priced. Some of the campsites around the country need to bear in mind that it is just a piece of grass that we are renting and the amount of electricity that we consume does not amount to more than a euro or so for the night. I know they have other costs, bins, insurance etc but still they should look and see how efficient, cheaper, cleaner the sites up north are.
    Also showers were €1 each so already we are at €40 for a night. THere is a kids park attached to the campsite but you have to pay €5 per child for this. It is more than a regular park but I personally didnt feel it was worth more money. Apparently the kayaks etc were good value but I dont personally know. THe site was very clean and the toilets were too.... except that there was no toilet roll in the toilets from Friday night and I dont know when it was replaced!!

This was what annoyed me though ...... At 9.00 on a very bright sunny (rare) evening the guy was going around telling all the kids that they had to stop on bikes, skate boards, skates etc. THere was a great buzz around the campsite and it was still relatively early. And when we were checking in we were told that we would not be allowed sit and talk outside our van after 11.00. Now I am not talking about having a party just talking to my husband outside my van at 11.00 ... surely this is unreasonable ???

Overall I did think it was a well run campsite but severly over priced and a little strict

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

hi, stayed in St margret park wexford over the weekend and have to say i was very pleased, the price was good 22euro for a camper+2 adults +electric, the site was very clean and tidy, the toilets and showers[free] excelent, will go there again. the only negative was the approach road, a lot of potholes!!
    If you are in the wexford area well worth a visit, a lovely beach as well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

We stayed there at the weekend, and there are negaitve and positives.

Firstly it is SO over-priced, for an 2 adults 2 children its costs €36, this may be only slightly above average but it doesnt mean that it is not over priced. Some of the campsites around the country need to bear in mind that it is just a piece of grass that we are renting and the amount of electricity that we consume does not amount to more than a euro or so for the night. I know they have other costs, bins, insurance etc but still they should look and see how efficient, cheaper, cleaner the sites up north are.
    Also showers were €1 each so already we are at €40 for a night. THere is a kids park attached to the campsite but you have to pay €5 per child for this. It is more than a regular park but I personally didnt feel it was worth more money. Apparently the kayaks etc were good value but I dont personally know. THe site was very clean and the toilets were too.... except that there was no toilet roll in the toilets from Friday night and I dont know when it was replaced!!

This was what annoyed me though ...... At 9.00 on a very bright sunny (rare) evening the guy was going around telling all the kids that they had to stop on bikes, skate boards, skates etc. THere was a great buzz around the campsite and it was still relatively early. And when we were checking in we were told that we would not be allowed sit and talk outside our van after 11.00. Now I am not talking about having a party just talking to my husband outside my van at 11.00 ... surely this is unreasonable ???

Overall I did think it was a well run campsite but severly over priced and a little strict
    do you mean hiddenvalley or mountshannon

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

Sorry that was about Rathdrum not Mountshannon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

This is a fantastic place. Top facilities, Tarmac roads inside the park, Concrete stands with hook up and water and thats just in the campsite.
    Fantastic scenery, brilliant local pubs and the campsite at a very reasonable price in comparison with inferior competition.
    One of the best in this country. IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement