Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Phone Calls or Callers To Your Home

Options
  • 01-07-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I used to work in Market Research in Dublin many moons ago. I never sold anything, but it was all Government work, and talking about new schemes or implementing new programmes.

Anyway, people used to find what I did incredibly annoying and I was threatened so many times it wasn't funny and if the money wasn't as good as it was and the hours so flexible and the breaks so....actually, the job was great, except for the work we had to do.

I remember this one old man, who told me if I ever called him again he'd hunt me down and kill me, because he had Caller ID that could trace Withheld numbers. Then there was another women who gave me a lecture about calling her on a Sunday and how I should be ashamed and my mother should disown me for the work I did. I often wonder how people like that would deal with a Debt Collector.

I was wondering, what's the most annoying phone call people have ever gotten here? Albeit from a prankster, or Market Researcher, maybe someone from Jesus's group called to your door to discuss Christ with you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Got some tool looking for something called a "TV license", whatever that is
    Told him to shove it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

none
    I dont answer the door, any people who I want to visit will text me before coming round so I know to expect them, and i dont answer private number calls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

When I lived in Spain, I frequently got calls from other mobile networks trying to get me to switch. It drove me mad. I got a few calls from the same company a few times.

They asked me what network I was with and then they'd tell me they were with a different one and wanted to ask a few questions. Whenever I told them I wasn't interesting in changing network, they'd say "Oh, it's just market research" but they'd keep trying to get me to change. I would just hang up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

People selling scratch cards for the homeless.
    They know that I know they are trying to scam me, but yet they have the brazen neck to get me to buy some.

Or those stupid smiley Concern fcukers. Always smiling, always talking in a sing-song voice about poverty & crap. They're like human fcuking Bosco's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Keithm89 wrote: »
    Got some tool looking for something called a "TV license", whatever that is

Jesus, you'll have to pay that!

Classic Ya Langer Ad

This one I remember well, the old man who nearly cries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Anything from Eircom. How come they can remember you when you say that youre interested in a product, but cant remember that you told them to f*** off a million times !!!! (I did try the polite version of that a few times first, doesnt work either!) They hounded me so much I vowed never to use them again. Also it is so easy to sign up to their services but almost impossible to cancel them!! (even when youre not in any fixed term contracts)
    *rant over*

Most annoying apart from them was my old landline number. Was one digit away from Books Unlimited, so we had their customers calling us CONSTANTLY! My friend has the same problem except with a taxi rank which is far worse, had to get her number changed cuz it was always waking her up with drunken idiots trying to get home from a night on the pish, while she jumped outta bed thinking it was some kinda emergency for ppl to be calling at that hour :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Most annoying one I used to get was in the middle of the night from India - when I picked up the phone nobody would answer - it went on for a full week - when I turned off the phone (which I didn't want to do) the following morning there would be 10 missed calls - I rang Eircom and they stopped that number from ringing the house.....btw I still don't know what they were selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

This tosser used to call me at 2 or 3am asking for his girlfriend.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

deelite wrote: »
    Most annoying one I used to get was in the middle of the night from India - when I picked up the phone nobody would answer - it went on for a full week - when I turned off the phone (which I didn't want to do) the following morning there would be 10 missed calls - I rang Eircom and they stopped that number from ringing the house.....btw I still don't know what they were selling.

Yeah sorry about that. We were just ringing you to inform you that you had won a national lottery of India and we just needed a few details in order to process the money over to you.

Care to give me the details now via PM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Barna77 wrote: »

Asking you what for his girlfriend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Yeah sorry about that. We were just ringing you to inform you that you had won a national lottery of India and we just needed a few details in order to process the money over to you.

Care to give me the details now via PM?

Hey I have a bone to pick with you... Where is my money? The wife keeps asking me about the monies. I sent you my details now show me the money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

There used to be a guy who'd call to our door selling scratch cards for recovering alcoholics. We didn't ever buy them as he was always stinking of drink and literally swaying from side to side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Only way to handle a telemarketer-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I hate telephone scammers with a vengeance.
    I got a call last week, went something like this:

Hello. Can I speak to X?

Speaking.

I'm calling from company X. We are just calling to warn people abut a virus called "whatever". Now, it is a very dangerous virus, and every computer running Windows is infected, you need to....

Ah, no problem! I don't use Windows, I use linux - thanks anyway! (I lied!:D)

Oh, er.....

I managed not to laugh until I hung up! I wish I had a picture of the expression on his face - he needs to brush up on his scamming technique:D

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Barna77 wrote: »

Well you should give her back then...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

UPC. What a bunch of annoying idiots. I must have got more than 100 calls from them in the last 2 r 3 years asking me would I like to get a phone line for just €5 a month. I got 8 calls from them in 1 weekend one time. It used drive me mad. Thankfully they have stopped in the last few months.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I am getting a lot of calls from people trying to fix my computer, and I haven't even broken it yet.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

you guys know you can opt out of the whole cold calling thing so they cant ring you?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭i_love_toast

Drunks dialing the wrong number looking for the "Fish Bar". Happens nearly every week. After you tell them wrong number some proceed to try to order over the phone.

Half the time we just wait til they finish saying their order and tell them "that'll be delivered in half an hour"....and hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Hello. Can I speak to X?
    Speaking.
    I'm calling from company X. We are just calling to warn people abut a virus called "whatever". Now, it is a very dangerous virus, and every computer running Windows is infected, you need to....
    Ah, no problem! I don't use Windows, I use linux - thanks anyway! (I lied!:D)
    Oh, er.....

I managed not to laugh until I hung up! I wish I had a picture of the expression on his face - he needs to brush up on his scamming technique:D

Got a very similar one a few weeks ago.. I just said ill keep an eye out for it!!!

Got someone pretending to be BOI customer service a little while back too.. Very convincing, sounded like a call centre and all.. But then she asked for my account number.. Good bye!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Our phone number is similar to a large car sales/car part shop in our town, except two of the the numbers are reversed. So we always get phone calls to our house looking for "car parts".

then sometimes when you tell the person they have the wrong number, they hang up and ring back five seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

If I get phone calls or salespeople at the door looking to sell something, I tell them that I don't want whatever they have unless it's for free. They usually segue into 'Ah yes, but if you pay x, you get y free'. I then point out that if I have to give them money, it's not free.

If I was approached by salespeople in a shopping centre, I'd be far more likely to hand over money because I'm in a SHOPPING centre and expect to spend money.

My home is not a shopping centre :mad:

Advertisement