Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Moral thing to do in regard to replying to text/email

Options
  • 01-07-2010 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I seen a number of posts in regard to people sending texts/phone calls and emails to other people and not getting a response . Personally i have sent a text to another person and i certain they got it a few months ago but no response since.

What stops a person from not replying?

Is it not good manners not to reply?

Is it easier to reply now than getting a text of that person every few months if you do not want to hear from them?

Is it mind games a person wont reply?

I never accept the excuse person Has no time to reply- It only takes a minute to text/email/phone etc

I like to look at it from both sides, maybe the person not replying will just think it will go way.

My moral way is that personally I would reply to a text/email even to see please do not contact me.

I feel very bad to ignore someone and be ignored.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

if you want a reply ring them. simples. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

I am the one at the other end of the phone i'm afraid, and in my case it's.. I really can't reply at the moment i receive the text.I'm either driving, dinner table or have forgotten my phone (again)or any of life's other little senerios that gets me away from my phone.It's not out of nastyness I always intend on replying as soon as I can and people will always get a reply ..... eventually....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

If I dont know you I wont reply, private callers I wont pick up, emails I delete it straight without looking at it. Press my door bell I wont open the door especially if I don't know you are coming.

Does the person know who you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

People get too stressed over these things
    Sorry OP, I'm not knocking your issue but don't try to understand rules here, there are none.

Just call the person though don't have a private number as lots won't answer.
    You will then instantly find out where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I tend to call or text back as soon as possible as I might forget to reply otherwise! Everyone is different but if someone respects you and wants to keep in touch they will reply/return calls pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My general rule of thumb is if someone REALLY wants to talk to me and getting an answer ASAP is important to them, they'll take the effort to phone me...I don't get that worked up about texts - they can be sent to a group or even not heard or just not arrive.

I don't know what morals have to do with it? If someone doesn't want to speak to someone else, they are under no obligation, moral or otherwise, to have to announce that. Surely the moral thing to do is make sure it is never a case that someone is hounding someone else who doesn't want to be contacted and demanding/expecting answers, if anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Why are you stressing over a text you sent months ago?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

I have to admit to reading texts, being too busy to reply, meaning to reply later and then totally forgetting...only for the person to say it to me a few days
    later...

Its not out of badness but absentmindedness...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If it's important, ring the person. A lot of misunderstandings would be cleared up really quickly if people just spoke to each other.

Personally, I often find text messages themselves quite rude e.g. There have been a few times when I've had a room to rent out and people texted about it. If the person couldn't be bothered/was too tight to ring, I didn't bother with them. Surely, it's manners to actually speak to a person.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

tbh i rarely reply to text messages.

if i am in work and busy, i dont have the time and then forget about them.

if i am driving, i cant reply and then forget about them.

if i am cooking dinner, i am too busy and then forget about them

if am watching a movie, i cant be bothered and forget about them

i am in company, i find extremely rude to text in front of others and then i forget about them.

if someon had something important to say, they would pick up the phone - text message are for things like "pick up milk on the way home", "going to be 5 mins late", "am wearing a red top standing at the spire"

they are not for conversations liek "how are you?" or "what are you doing?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 gpe

If someone does not respond to your text messages it is because that person considers you to be a 'mong'.

Deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

gpe banned for a week.
    Please remember Unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Why are you stressing over a text you sent months ago?:confused:

Why do you think? I recon hormones are involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

kidbia wrote: »
    I seen a number of posts in regard to people sending texts/phone calls and emails to other people and not getting a response . Personally i have sent a text to another person and i certain they got it a few months ago but no response since.

What stops a person from not replying?

Is it not good manners not to reply?

Is it easier to reply now than getting a text of that person every few months if you do not want to hear from them?

Is it mind games a person wont reply?

I never accept the excuse person Has no time to reply- It only takes a minute to text/email/phone etc

I like to look at it from both sides, maybe the person not replying will just think it will go way.

My moral way is that personally I would reply to a text/email even to see please do not contact me.

I feel very bad to ignore someone and be ignored.

Why keep contacting a person who doesn't answer/reply to calls or texts or e-mails? Just forget about them. Ok it is rude of them not to respond but you need to stop contacting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

i used to obsess over people not texting back. And in a lot of cases a lot of people didn't text back out of pure rudeness.

Now, I often have my phone on silent or left in another room because I dont WANT to be contactable at someone's whim.. nothing's *that* important! And people know I don't carry my phone around with me so they don't get offended. I rarely reply to texts either, I phone the person instead.

Things were a lot simpler when people only had home phones that didn't have caller ID.

Advertisement