Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel mileage advice.

Options
  • 01-07-2010 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Oh what to do.

I'm looking at some used cars to replace my colt 99 with 120k on the clock. I've had it for 3 years and it's served me well.

My reason for getting a new car is it's just too thirsty. So I was looking for something more fuel efficient and thought,hey why not a diesel.

From what I understand, diesels have serious lifespan over petrols. But just how much I wonder.

Eg I've 3 cars lined up at the moment.

A citreon c3 with 95000 miles
    A peugot 206 with 110000 miles
    And a focus 160000 miles

Their all aroung 4 grand each. But I'm really trying to figure out just how reliable they really are.

I know ****e all about cars to be honest and less about diesels. So can anyone give me some advice for these. What to look for, how to tell if it's gonna die on me soon.

or for example. What would diesel miles be equivalent to in petrol mileage.
    Tagged:

Comments

OVERTONE69 wrote: »

Eg I've 3 cars lined up at the moment.

A citreon c3 with 95
    A peugot 206 with 110
    And a focus 160.

Their all aroung 4 grand each. But I'm really trying to figure out just how reliable they really are.

I know ****e all about cars to be honest and less about diesels................. What would diesel miles be equivalent to in petrol mileage.

?????????

with 95 ? is that the mileage or the brake horse power ?? Presuming your Colt was as reliable and cheap to maintain as it should have been you may be dissapointed with a modern diesel. What mileage do you do per week ?

And a mile is a mile regardless of the car being petrol or diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭OVERTONE69

RoverJames wrote: »
    ?????????

with 95 ? is that the mileage or the brake horse power ?? Presuming your Colt was as reliable and cheap to maintain as it should have been you may be dissapointed with a modern diesel. What mileage do you do per week ?

And a mile is a mile regardless of the car being petrol or diesel.

the colt wasnt cheap to maintain at all. i was getting about 32 mpg.

sorry about the confusion from mileage or horsepower. i thought it was obvious from the question. i meant they have that amount of miles.

ill be doing about 300 miles a week, and im aware a mile is always a mile. thats not what i was trying to ask.

what i meant was in terms of wear and tear, how long will a diesel engine live compared to a petrol.

example: the wear on tear on a diesel engine at 90000 miles would be the same as a petrol engine at 60000 miles. if you get me?

i want to get a diesel car but they all have higher mileage than petrols, so im trying to figure out what goof mileage figures are for diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Mileage is not the only indicator of wear and tear. The engine might run away but the rest of the car can fail with more age and mileage.

What you need is a FSH first of all - that should mean engine will have been looked after - diesels need regular oil changes.

Then if the mileage is high try and find one that has had suspension consumables replaced otherwise you will have bills...

the colt wasnt cheap to maintain at all. i was getting about 32 mpg.

What maintenance costs did you experience aside from routine servicing ?

What maintenance costs did you experience aside from routine servicing ?

had to get a new manifold because the old one was cracked. and exhaust fumes were coming in through the vents and air con.

other than that, regular servicing and thats it.

why is this important though?
    EPM wrote: »
    Mileage is not the only indicator of wear and tear. The engine might run away but the rest of the car can fail with more age and mileage.

What you need is a FSH first of all - that should mean engine will have been looked after - diesels need regular oil changes.

Then if the mileage is high try and find one that has had suspension consumables replaced otherwise you will have bills...

my cousins a mechanic and hes gonna go with me to check it out. he'll know exactly what wear and tear to look for in a diesel.

but i cant reach him for another two weeks, thats why im asking about the longevity of diesels. so i know what to shop for now.

full service history would make sense i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

There's no set in stone rule. You can kill an engine in 20k miles if you dont look after it. Another one treated the same could go 200k. Judge each car on it's merits really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Also important: Has the car been driven on a daily commute on a motorway or has it been beaned around potholed backroads by a boyracer?
    The first one can have 120k miles on it and be perfect, the latter 80k miles and be a wreck fit only for the crusher.
    Thank God service history is slowly starting to become important here, goes without saying no history, no NCT, no sale.

Also important: Has the car been driven on a daily commute on a motorway or has it been beaned around potholed backroads by a boyracer?
    The first one can have 120k miles on it and be perfect, the latter 80k miles and be a wreck fit only for the crusher.
    Thank God service history is slowly starting to become important here, goes without saying no history, no NCT, no sale.

good point. never thopught about it like that. without service history ill just turn it staright down.

but without nct? could it not just be a point of someone whou couldnt be bothered getting it done?

i know a fair amount of people that sell their cars before it comes up, just because they dont want to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

good point. never thopught about it like that. without service history ill just turn it staright down.

but without nct? could it not just be a point of someone whou couldnt be bothered getting it done?

i know a fair amount of people that sell their cars before it comes up, just because they dont want to.

I'd be flexible on service histroy, but NCT is a must.
    Most dealers will do NCT, if they don't be wary.
    It's not that it's a lemon, but all you need is 2-3 things wrong with an otherwise good car and you'll staring at the guts of a couple of grand to fix it.
    When herself did the NCT last we found out that due to a fault with the ignition the CAT had burnt through.
    So needed a new ignition pack and a CAT, get this done at a garage and you'll be looking at over a grand to set it right.
    Only because I was able to buy the parts cheaply online and fit them myself (fitting the new CAT was a BITCH without a lift) I was able to save a small fortune, but still cost a few hundred.
    ALWAYS get NCT unless you're absolutely sure and have an expert second opinion. And even then be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Diesels will cost more to service, more often. If they fubar, they cost a lot more to fix.

Petrol cars inherently simpler, and with age, more reliable.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I'd be flexible on service histroy, but NCT is a must.
    Most dealers will do NCT, if they don't be wary.
    It's not that it's a lemon, but all you need is 2-3 things wrong with an otherwise good car and you'll staring at the guts of a couple of grand to fix it.
    When herself did the NCT last we found out that due to a fault with the ignition the CAT had burnt through.
    So needed a new ignition pack and a CAT, get this done at a garage and you'll be looking at over a grand to set it right.
    Only because I was able to buy the parts cheaply online and fit them myself (fitting the new CAT was a BITCH without a lift) I was able to save a small fortune, but still cost a few hundred.
    ALWAYS get NCT unless you're absolutely sure and have an expert second opinion. And even then be wary.

so should i be looking ofr one that already has nct, or a car that will pass the next one?

had to get a new manifold because the old one was cracked. and exhaust fumes were coming in through the vents and air con.

other than that, regular servicing and thats it.

why is this important though?

I initially commented that a diesel may cost more than the colt to maintain, I would consider a colt cheap to maintain as they don't give trouble, you then said it was not cheap to maintain, you then said nothing went wrong with it really.

Can I have a wtf :confused: :P

I initially commented that a diesel may cost more than the colt to maintain, I would consider a colt cheap to maintain as they don't give trouble, you then said it was not cheap to maintain, you then said nothing went wrong with it really.

Can I have a wtf :confused: :P

no but u can have this.

maintain to me meant how much fuel it used. not how it costs to serviced.

no but u can have this.

maintain to me meant how much fuel it used. not how it costs to serviced.

You are the only person I have ever encountered who considers fuel costs as maintenance. I may add as well as being disappointed with a diesels MAINTENANCE costs you may also be a tad dissapointed with the minimal savings in RUNNING costs compared to the Colt.

You are the only person I have ever encountered who considers fuel costs as maintenance. I may add as well as being disappointed with a diesels MAINTENANCE costs you may also be a tad dissapointed with the minimal savings in RUNNING costs compared to the Colt.

i did say i wasnt familiar with cars that much.

well from most reviews at carsurvey.com

i know my colt gets about 200 miles to a tank.

the peugot 206 1.4hdi gets about 500 so im happy with that.

sorry, i seem to have upset you with my terminology of cars.

maintenance was cheap then. but ive only had it 12000 miles. where it has a total mileage of 120000.

and running costs are about 35 euro a week.

Advertisement