Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogfish

Options
  • 30-06-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Havent been fishing since i was a child so decided to start again and went out tonight. Caught for dogfish and a pollock. But what i wanted to know is are dogfish edible and if so whats the best way to cook?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Havent been fishing since i was a child so decided to start again and went out tonight. Caught for dogfish and a pollock. But what i wanted to know is are dogfish edible and if so whats the best way to cook?
    Never actually eaten them but they are edible. Sold in restaurants in England as 'rock salmon' (more appetising than 'dogfish'. They're boneless too so should be handy to prepare. Throw them in the oven with a bit of lemon would be my suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Never tried doggies myself, but believe you have to soak them over night to remove the putrid ammonia taste. If you cook them straight away they are meant to be vile. Also they are meant to be very difficult to skin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Cook it whole. Add, butter, lemon, honey, thyme, as many other herbs and spices as you want. Wrap in tinfoil and bake in the oven for 2 hours. Remove from oven, throw away the fish and eat the tinfoil. ;):p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

They arent bad eating at all.
    The trick is to remove the sandpaper skin...not an easy task first time.
    You can soak them if you like but if they dont smell of amonia than you wont need to as they wont taste of it either.
    Batter the fillets and deep fry them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Where'd you catch them may I ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

judas101 wrote: »
    Where'd you catch them may I ask?

At this time of year nearly everywhere when you're hoping to catch something else.

Just go to a known mark put a bit of mack on a two hook rig and you should get some.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Thanks for the advice, sure i might fillet 1 next time im out and bbq one on the rocks!

They were caught off the small pier in Ballymacaw. Got 12 of them last night and a beautiful wrasse. Was out this morning at the same spot but couldnt keep crab off the bait, every 5mins i was pulling them in:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Gut the shark and season well inside and out. Nail to a thick plank of oak or applewood. Cook at 500 degrees until all the dogfish has burned away and then eat the plank.:D

Advertisement