Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seriously thinking about just fecking off

Options
  • 30-06-2010 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Im 32 in a decent job earning 40k a year but I am seriously thinking of packing it all in and going travelling for a year

I know in these uncertain times that a job like mine is invaluble but

im single
    no relationship
    no kids
    no mortage
    dont love my job

and I just want to get out there and enjoy my life because I havent really done it up to now

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Go, go, go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Get as far away from here as possible mate.

Only wish I was in your position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭showmetheway

WellyJ wrote: »
    Get as far away from here as possible mate.

Only wish I was in your position.

what position do u mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

go. or you would regret your whole life.

a year is nothing and coming back with the experience you've had, might be better for your job hunting in the future. or not, you will earn a year of stories to tell and it worths more than 40K.

go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

Do it.. do it..do it.

Personal context = walked away from a 36k+ job/company car..etc!!
    I'm late thirties - w/a mortgage, and shingle :o)
    Reason for walking after much reflection was the energy I was selling to my employer was being wasted as far as I was concerned - life really is just a blink of an eye so why waste it making other people wealthy if your hearts not in it?!?

So, it's three months down the road and I've just landed a job on half my original wage, but it has the potential to provide me w/a platform from which I can build my own business in a few years.
    I'm psyched and fecking terrified... but I'm living!!
    Take the leap of fate and see what happens... Njoy.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Glenshane Pass

Don't luck back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

I would say definitely go for it. Try and see as much of the world as possible while you still can.

Experience different cultures, go inter-railing in Europe, float in the Dead Sea, go on a camel ride, see the pyramids in Egypt, whatever you'd enjoy!

Those sort of experiences are priceless and while you have the chance, I'd say don't even think twice about it.

Hey, you never know, you may even find the love of your life on your travels!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Do it OP!

I'm not far off your situation give or take a few years and salary. I'm 28 and earned 45k but a lot of that was overtime, 14 hour days realy! Compulsory overtime should I say, my salary wasn't that high.
    Check my username!
    Took six weeks off to get super fit (fat bastard :o) and study for exams.

Then starting a round the world trip for 11 months.

Yes, it's scary to leave a permanent job but you got to your salary as you are good at what you do and you'll get something else on your return.
    Maybe even a better job.
    If you wait a few years OP, you may own a house or be in a relationship and never go.
    People will tell you "are lucky to have a job" but your situation is your own. Do what you want to do and not what other people are afraid of.
    Come back with some savings though to tide you over.

I like this site but there are many others out there:
    http://www.travelblog.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PeterTheHermit

What would Jesus do?

When he reached the age of 30 he went off on a ramble and had great adventures didn't he?

Alexander The Great conquered the known world by the age of thirty.

Go, Go, Go

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Go, OP, GO!!

My brother left a nice steady job in 2009. People said he was mad. He kept some contacts, and got back in the game very fast.

I highly recommend couchsurfers if you want to save some money. I have some people staying with me all the time and then hopefully I'll get to stay with them some day.

I really think travelling can only enhance your employment prospects. Especially if you stop for a little while to learn Spanish or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Go..

When you're on your deathbed, Would you like you last thought to be

1. Man I've lived a great life..I saw the world,I dived in the Great Barrier Reef, I Did one of the highest Bungee Jumps in the world,I walked on a Galcier,I travelled up a river in middle of Fiji, I jumped from a plane at 12,000 feet...I flew in a Helicopter through the Grand Canyon..

OR

2. I wish I spent more time at work..

Number 1 is my choice.

You'll never regret Travelling...It broadens your horizons..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I would say do it. There is nothing stopping you and then when you look back and have a wonderful family and a loving wife at somestage in your life you can say you took both the high and the low road and came out on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

On the other hand, my brother left a job 2.5 years ago to go travelling and has had huge problems since getting work.

I don’t think this is the time to be leaving a decent job to head off aimlessly. Can you get a career break?

I also did it and while it was good fun etc, it broke my career progression and I had to start at the bottom again when I got back. 7 years later I am only getting to the same level of income now. I would not do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If you've the savings to do it, why not?

Always fancied travelling myself. Had a plan to attempt a drive to Australia with a mate and if that didn't pan out I was just going to get a ferry to France and work my way there in my own good time, stopping to work when I needed to top up the cash and generally just spending a few years on the road.

Never happened and whilst I'm a doting father and happy enough in my job, not travelling is my one big regret. I still intend on taking a few years out to travel when my daughter's fully grown but travelling as a 50 something with your partner is a bit different to travelling as a young (ish in your case :p) man with no responsibilities.

Hang the consequences tbh. What's the worst that happens if you go for a year or two and find it hard to get another job when you get back? The dole is generous and a few months hardship whilst looking for something new (not as hard for those of us with professional careers than the poor feckers who know nothing but construction) or having to accept a lower paid job on your return seems like a fair trade for a year or two's freedom to me tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

It's an old cliché but 'better to regret the things you have done than the things you haven't'

So I say go and if it messes stuff up for you at least you won't be sitting there at 90 years of age thinking 'what if......'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

What's stopping you? Seriously?

If it's what you want to do then go do it....have fun! Life is far too short to just trudge along in the daily grind blindly accepting boring and mediocre as normality. If you fancy seeing a bit of the world and meeting new people then go do it, you'll only look back and kick yourself for not taking this chance in years to come, if you don't.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

You could be hit by a bus on your way to work in the morning and you will never have gotten to experience what you want. Go for it. I'll more than likely be doing the same in approximately 9 months to a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I headed off in my mid 20s for a year or so and then moved abroad. Came back to Ireland and then headed off to do a bit more travelling.

I came back and set up my own little business and I also work part time and you know, there are some things that I do regret but very very few.....possibly that I didn't go to X place or do Y when I was away but never did I regret being on a beach on a Monday morning or sipping a coffee at 3pm on a Wednesday. In the same way I might have regretted not being a bit more active in college but that was the way I was back then.

I would though go with as much cash as you can and come back with some savings. The first time I came back I had no money in the bank and that stressed me out - the second time I travelled I came back to my savings (although it was tempting to stay away for way longer).

Was it difficult to settle back in? Not really for me. I moved to London so didn't fall straight back into Irish ways.... and since then I've enjoyed returning.

If I hadn't gone, I don't think I'd have turned out the way I am now - more outgoing, more assertive and more happy with myself.

I think I'd have cracked up while working - as I couldn;t see the point of life if it was commute, work and then commute, and then being wrecked by the time I got home.

Now I enjoy my work and have many more friends than ever before - I learned when I travelled that I'm actually an alright person to get to know and that I could make friends (some casual/some very good) which I found hard at home.

So I would say go for it but save for as long as you can. Have it as your goal to travel as you wish without too much financial restraint (nothing worse than counting your rupees/bhat and not being able to afford to do something) and also to have a nice amount in the bank for your return.

Use the fact that you are saving as your motivation to stay at work and don't be tempted to not go by that promotion or pay increases.

And when you do go, leave the first two months for just chilling - get to a beach and do nothing at all only chill....

Enjoy

Advertisement