Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can my family ski?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

We've been skiing Val Cenis for years, but now the family are older, and want somewhere with more challenging skiing, and also some sort of night life. And I want somewhere we can afford. I'm not fussy about accommodation, quite happy to sleep in bunks etc, but ideally, I'd like somewhere with food provided so I'm not spending my holiday washing up and shopping.

I love the skiing in Les Arcs, but the local Auberge de Jeunesse is a bit out of town, so night life won't be hectic.

Has anyone stayed in the UCPA? Was it good, worth the money?

Any suggestions welcome. There are eight of us, three adults, five children, all skiing reds and blacks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Try Saalbach in Austria incredible choice of runs and plenty to do in the resort, you will not be bored livley night life and plenty for everyone.

Chatel in France is awsome but might be a little quitter at night

Tignes also might fit the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I was looking at Tignes, but the Youth hostel there does not take children under 12, and my youngest is nine.

Would Saalbach be snow snow after Christmas? Where would be an afforadable place to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

EileenG wrote: »
    I was looking at Tignes, but the Youth hostel there does not take children under 12, and my youngest is nine.

Would Saalbach be snow snow after Christmas? Where would be an afforadable place to stay?

I'd second Saalbach, great spot. I've never stayed in this place, but I noticed it there - and recommended it to a friend. Said it was great, and the people running it were lovely: http://www.appartements-fuerstauer.at/en
    It's in a great location, as apartments tend to be a little out of the village.

We go second week in Jan, never had any problems with snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jellies

We've skied in a lot of places, but since we had kids we've gone to Oz en Oisans (www.oz-en-oisans.com) for the last 4 years....the eldest is now 9 so onto reds/blacks.

Main things we like about it are:
    Easy to get to from Grenoble/Lyon airports
    No lift queues, but access to Alpe d'Huez resort with 2 gondolas
    Oz itself is not too big, and no cards in village so safe enough for kids
    Good ski school and creche
    We use a self catered chalet on the slopes so can get home for lunch
    Plenty of skiing for all levels with good off piste:-)

Oz itself is not huge, so doesn't have the nightlife of say a St Anton or even the main resort of Alpe D'Huez itself. For us its not a problem with the kids...but depends on the group I suppose.

I'd also second Chatel, really nice resort from what I can remember.

Hope that helps :-)

I was sort of hoping for somewhere that is not self-catering. Either I end up doing all the cooking and most of the cleaning, or we eat out far too much and spend a fortune. I usually go to places like youth hostels which provide meals.

Any time we stayed in an apartment, I alway said "Never again."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jellies

With our guys they're still small so its handy to get back to the gaff at lunchtime and one of us stay in with them if we need to.

We did St Anton one New Year in a small family hotel with food which was also great.
    They seem to have a lot of small family hotels/guesthouses in Austria, so thats another option.

Only downside there was bus ride to slopes with me like a pack horse with all the gear etc.

Mine are all well able to carry their own skis by now. Doesn't stop them trying it on, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

EileenG wrote: »
    I was sort of hoping for somewhere that is not self-catering. Either I end up doing all the cooking and most of the cleaning, or we eat out far too much and spend a fortune. I usually go to places like youth hostels which provide meals.

Any time we stayed in an apartment, I alway said "Never again."

I know that there are mountian huts, ones that serve food during the day. But they have accommodation too. I've always wondered how you get your luggage up there :D

I've done a quick search on www.saalbach.com and there seems to be a good few mountain huts/hotels/hostels that do half board.

I just looked, and nearly fainted from the prices they were quoting for a family. At the moment, Val Cenis is charging 375 per adult for full board, ski pass and ski hire.

Advertisement