Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need space!

Options
  • 30-06-2010 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

I have a friend who seems to be very 'clingy' for all the world. constantly texting, ringing etc...now I know friends do this as normal but this is starting to bug me because she's always at it! I wouldn't mind if she had a reason to text or ring a few times a day, but usually its just Hi how are you, and if I don't manage to reply I'll get a repeat text a short while later. its irritating but I can't say it outright to her.

in recent times, i've been busy with other things so haven't been able to meet up as much but she just can't seem to understand it. I really need some space from this friend because to be honest at times, its smothering and the ongoing beeps from my phone is really annoying me !!

anybody ever been in this situation or know how to deal with getting some space in such circumstances?? thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

Just tell her you're busy. People can't read minds.

I have one friend who is always around, won't even clear off to give me and the g/f time alone. Recently I realised that he just couldn't sense when he was overstaying a welcome and he just had to be told. She should understand you need time to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some People do not even relise they are so clingy, they dont relise there doing it so much. There probly thinking that there making u happy by trying to communicate you so much and probly dont relise its making u so unhappy and annoyed.

Its no reason to fall out with the friend over something so stupied just say Sorry (what ever name) i feel youre too clingy with me the constant texts and phone calls are too much to handle and its noting bad against you. I would rather if u cut back on these and i will contact you if i ever need anything. I am very busy at the moment and i will be free sometime soon and we will meet up and chat. Talk soon.

These people just need a bit of self control deep down inside there probly scared they might lose you as a friend and are a bit paranoid.

Its not a big issue

Best of Luck to u and ur friendship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Speaking from the point of view of the clingy person here - not the same situation, but just to play the devils advocate...

I'd say some of my friends would say that I'm clingy or over contact them. I do make a conscious effort to not over contact - if I don't get a reply to a text I won't send another one until I've heard from them. In my case though it's an extreme lack of self confidence and needing reassurance from my friends that they still want to talk to me...

Not saying it's what is happening in your situation, but maybe talk to your friend. Just say something like "X I appreciate your friendship, I really do, but recently it just seems like we're in each others pockets a little too much - but right now I'm busy with work/whatever, hows about we organise to do something fun over the weekend"

Also, maybe check if your friend needs to talk about something? She might be waiting for the right moment to talk about a problem and is chickening out?

Advertisement