Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to catch Monkfish

Options
  • 30-06-2010 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi All,

As form my name I mostly dive but do do alittle fishing, nothing major but with possibly do more with possibility of plenty free time coming up.

So we were thinking of heading after Monkfish, Ive been told that there opportune feeds and eat most things that swim by and that squid is a good bait but I dont know how good this advice is. Can anyone give their advice?

I dive a particular area where there seems to be a good few always so we are gonna try there first.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

these fish are in very deep waters. Never saw one caught on the rod. Sorry i can't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I was told when fishing for them (in deep water) you use baits or fish that live on the sea floor like flatfish and and ray(wings). Headless plaice/flounder on a big hook with wire trace might work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

the thing is that monkfish are very bad swimmers and they don't move a lot. You need to cast your bait just in front of him. They use a static way of feeding in attracting little minnows with a dummy bait on top of their head...

Very hard to catch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Hi All,

As form my name I mostly dive but do do alittle fishing, nothing major but with possibly do more with possibility of plenty free time coming up.

So we were thinking of heading after Monkfish, Ive been told that there opportune feeds and eat most things that swim by and that squid is a good bait but I dont know how good this advice is. Can anyone give their advice?

I dive a particular area where there seems to be a good few always so we are gonna try there first.

Thanks in advance,

Ian
    I've only caught them at night, but you have a major advantage if you've seen them whilst diving. Drop some squid down and hope for the best.
    And let us know how ya got on:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

BoarHunter wrote: »
    these fish are in very deep waters. Never saw one caught on the rod. Sorry i can't help you.

Not necessarily. Friend of mine caught one in 25ft of water down in Kerry a year or 2 ago, estimated at over 70lbs weight. It was released again, so no accurate weight. You do have to land the bait almost right on top of the fish alright, as they don't move around much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

AgileMyth wrote: »
    but you have a major advantage if you've seen them whilst diving.

Ya in all my years diving Ive only ever seen them in this particular spot, and its between 15-20m (50-65 feet ish) so not deep really, were gonna give it a bash this weekend if the weather lets us, it could be a grand spin out be a rough ride home!

Ill keep ye informed.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 The Barron

A bit of misguided information on this species.
    The fish monger will flog you anglerfish and tell you that it is monk.

Angler fish are a deep water (100ft +) species and are rarely caught by rod and line as they lie hidden on the bottom. They use a little attracter on their head to lure other fish closer and then attack them.

The monk, a member of the shark family, is an endangered species in Irish waters and is only found in one or two places

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/anglerfish.html
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/monkfish.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Paddy Diver

The Barron wrote: »
    A bit of misguided information on this species.
    The fish monger will flog you anglerfish and tell you that it is monk.

Angler fish are a deep water (100ft +) species and are rarely caught by rod and line as they lie hidden on the bottom. They use a little attracter on their head to lure other fish closer and then attack them.

The monk, a member of the shark family, is an endangered species in Irish waters and is only found in one or two places

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/anglerfish.html
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/monkfish.html

Interesting, thanks very much. Maybe it wasn't monkfish that are in that area so.........will have to dive it again! Or try catch one and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DConway

How did you get on with the monkfish? Was thinking about going after them aswell!

Advertisement