Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me what battallions these are?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

i have attached a pic of some patches with a dublin city connection , are they FCA or regular army? i have them around 25 years or so .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

They are all 20 Inf Bn (FCA), now 62 Res Inf Bn (AR)

More info here
    http://www.irishmilitaryinsignia.com/flash/images/flash_index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

concussion wrote: »
    They are all 20 Inf Bn (FCA), now 62 Res Inf Bn (AR)

More info here
    http://www.irishmilitaryinsignia.com/flash/images/flash_index.html

thanks for the help concussion .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

All from the 20th Battalion from the time I served in it during the eighties. You're missing the E Company badge to complete your collection and the headquarters badge. All private purchase cost a couple of quid each, I seem to remember. I was in 'The Pearse'.

The '44' on blue of B company badge was a link to the PDF 44th battalion which went to the Lebanon around '79 or '80. B company apparently descended from the old 44th Battalion. So it was a tribute of sorts. There is an earlier badge for B company. Just like D company traced it's roots to the Regiment of Pearse pre war volunteer unit. The C company badge will be the rarest as it was always understrength and a poor unit at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

xflyer wrote: »
    All from the 20th Battalion from the time I served in it during the eighties. You're missing the E Company badge to complete your collection and the headquarters badge. All private purchase cost a couple of quid each, I seem to remember. I was in 'The Pearse'.

The '44' on blue of B company badge was a link to the PDF 44th battalion which went to the Lebanon around '79 or '80. B company apparently descended from the old 44th Battalion. So it was a tribute of sorts. There is an earlier badge for B company. Just like D company traced it's roots to the Regiment of Pearse pre war volunteer unit. The C company badge will be the rarest as it was always understrength and a poor unit at the time.

thanks a million. great info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement