Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering off your Desire

Options
  • 30-06-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

When I try to turn off my desire it takes ages. I'm talking between 5 and 10 mins of the screen telling me that is powering off. Is this normal? Would have thought it should turn off fairly quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭igor420

Lawstud wrote: »
    When I try to turn off my desire it takes ages. I'm talking between 5 and 10 mins of the screen telling me that is powering off. Is this normal? Would have thought it should turn off fairly quickly.

Yea, the same thing happens to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

Same with everyone.

Its not a normal phone, so it requires a similar shut down process like a PC so it can save all new information to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

5-10 mins seems a bit extreme ? mines takes about 2 mins to shut down, if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah mine was shutting down for 20 mins the other day so I just pulled the battery out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Mine too,

Can take ages sometimes, definitely at least 10 minutes 1 or two times, sometimes quicker, sometimes longer. As with everything else hopefully some frozen yogart will help.

Go Team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

I don't know, mine's pretty quick.

It's in daily use, texts, games, internet, navigation this morning etc. so it's not freshly hard reset or anything. Dunno what the difference can be between yours and mine, but my gut feeling says it has something to do with task killer programs which I've never had installed. Had any of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Same for me, haven't timed it but I'd say it's ~10 secs for it to power off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Depends on how many processes and services are running on the phone. For example, I make sure that I kill all tasks before I restart the phone and it takes no more than 30 seconds.

It's process (Simplified) is a bit like this Kill Processes -> End Services -> Unmount SD Card -> Switch off the radio -> Shutdown

It has quite a lot to do before it can shut down. The main reason it takes so long to shut down compared to other phones is that it does not end processes autonomously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Keith186

BeciMester wrote: »
    I don't know, mine's pretty quick.

It's in daily use, texts, games, internet, navigation this morning etc. so it's not freshly hard reset or anything. Dunno what the difference can be between yours and mine, but my gut feeling says it has something to do with task killer programs which I've never had installed. Had any of you?

I think task killers makes it take it take longer too. If I only use the task killer lightly then it only takes a minute to shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I use task killers all the time and my phone takes about 30 seconds to shut down!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Just gave mine a reboot. It took about 10 secs to shut down.
    I use Automatic Task Killer so I don't have a pile of apps constantly running. I'd say that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

Just tested mine there and it literally took 2 or 3 seconds from when I hit power off to the phone being off.

Edit: Oh, and I don't use any task killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

I had a task killer but I uninstalled. Apparently they cause more harm than good. Not sure how true that is. But there seems to be a lot of articles which suggest its true.

I have the phone around 3 weeks and I've only switched it off twice. Maybe if I turn it off more often it may get quicker at closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Lawstud wrote: »
    Apparently they cause more harm than good. Not sure how true that is. But there seems to be a lot of articles which suggest its true.

Any links to any of these articles? First I've heard.

Edit: Found a couple of discussion on the matter, which don't seem to point to anything concrete. Some people notice an increase in speed and battery life after uninstalling advanced task killer, others don't! I might have to try it out and see.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/1480-please-read-do-not-worry-about-apps-running-background-3.html

http://www.geardiary.com/2009/12/29/is-a-task-killer-necessary-for-android/

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/18334-task-killer-apps-truth.html

Advertisement