Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinned and gutted fish still moving

Options
  • 30-06-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

This is pretty freaky, the dogfish is skinned and gutted but it is still moving about.

Any ideas how this is happening, I do have a bit of a theory but like to hear other opinions first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

eww fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

cruizer101 wrote: »
    This is pretty freaky, the dogfish is skinned and gutted but it is still moving about.

Any ideas how this is happening, I do have a bit of a theory but like to hear other opinions first.

Mcafee warns against opening link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Must be McAfee being super again.

Opened fine for me. Very strange vid!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭TheBastard

i've caught a dog fish before and 4-5 hours later he was still alive and ok.

i gave him a few belts on the head and he still seemed like i'd just caught him.

horrible looking fish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its probably just electrical impulses in the muscles.

i went sea fishing when i was a kid with a bunch of proper fishermen and my dad and we had caught some eels and they had been beheaded and gutted in the sink (ready to be come jellied eels, eew!) and were still slithering around in the bowl right up until they were chopped into chunks.

afaik, some of the electrical impulses for muscle movement come from the spinal chord, not directly from the brain and since that's still intact and in contact with those muscles, it's possible for them to keep moving if there is still electrical charge left in the body.

either that, or they're laying on tinfoil because someone has it hooked up to a battery and is passing current through it to stimulate the muscles and make it look like they're moving on their own. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

smcgiff wrote: »
    Mcafee warns against opening link
    That's because Macfee is a load of rubbish.

The same thing can happen to any animal with a spine I suppose it depends how the animal was killed and what kind of damage is done to the upper spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The exact same thing happened with this prostitute I once skinned and gutted wh..

.. I've said too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Same thing happens with eels. You could cut the head off an eel, throw it back in the water and it will swim away.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

He got some of the lemon juice in his..erm..muscles..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't care what causes it.. I wouldn't be eating it after seeing that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Liverpool woman - "The Fish is Moving.......But It's Dead!"

It's like that scene with the Eggs from Ghostbusters, I would have called someone

Or Mythbusters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

I reckon, there are two live fish wrapped in the catfish*, there is far too much movement for me to think otherwise.

Edit,: dogfish

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Apparently the salt is what causes it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Apparently the salt is what causes it

So that's how Jim Hensen came up with Kermit!

PS - the frog on the left has got some moves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

It's true about the eels I have skinned and gutted them and they don't just move they seem to react and plus they are actually quite strong. Spooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Seen this a lot in slaughter houses as well. You'd often see a beef carcass split in two, gutted, and the hind quarter would still be twitching a lot.

In the frog video, the salt is providing sodium ions (ie causing very small electric impulses) which in the fresh meat, caused the still intact muscle cells to twitch

Advertisement