Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand Up Paddle Boarding

Options
  • 30-06-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Looking at getting a board for cruising around Dublin Bay.

Anyone using the Inflatable SUP's? Must difference on performance? Trying to not stray too far from 500-600 Budget.

Anyone got tales of good locations? Am thinking the Sea Front in Clontarf, Dollymount and maybe venturing up the Liffey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsurf.ie

Hi Torpedo,

A few of our customers have enquired about our Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board's, and this is the general advice I give...

I refer only to the Red Air Paddle Boards as they are the best available (I have tested others). See them here: http://www.bigsurf.ie/prod.php?id=312&catid=99&pcat=76

If you want a Stand Up Paddle Board, but are short on space, then go for an Inflatable. They are not as "crisp feeling" as a "hard board", but they are very respectable on flat water and on a wave. They fold into a carry bag, and will fit into the boot of a mini. Everything is included in the pack, i.e. pump, repair kit & board. You need to pump them to 15psi at least, else the deck becomes soft underfoot. Compared to a hard board, there is only marginally more spring from nose to tail...very respectable. They are better if you bump against hard objects such as piers, rocks, etc, as they don't ding. You can repair them easily...made from Hypalon (same as RIB material). Recommended for flat water and small waves, but put it this way...if a 6' wave came against me..I'd have a go off it anyway! :D

If you have the space to store it, and can transport it, then go for a hard board. Generally for cruising, look at the longer, straighter outlined shape...for surfing, go for more rounded outline. Which one depends on your weight, experience and budget.

If I can help any more, please feel free to email me at: pearse@bigsurf.ie.

Cheers,
    Pearse
    www.bigsurf.ie

ps - local to you, the canal has been SUPped...plenty of other spots also.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

Torpedo wrote: »
    Looking at getting a board for cruising around Dublin Bay.

Anyone using the Inflatable SUP's? Must difference on performance? Trying to not stray too far from 500-600 Budget.

Anyone got tales of good locations? Am thinking the Sea Front in Clontarf, Dollymount and maybe venturing up the Liffey.

I ended up getting the basic NSP model off Tiki in the Uk. It's called "Surf Series". Got a few bits off Bigsurf too, like paddle, helmet etc. I mainly use it on the canal and Dublin Bay on flat summer days. I've had it out in Streedagh too, but if the waves are good, I just go with the shortboard. Long distance paddling is a good workout and a nice way to get about.

I've a Yacker mate who's going to bring me down the Liffey soon. The lakes in Mullingar are good too when the wind is low.

If I was buying again, I'd go for more of a cruiser. If you've no interest in surfing it then get as straight an outline as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 se2raml6

Stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) is an incredibly enjoyable water sport that offers a full-body workout and a great way to explore lakes, rivers, and oceans. To get started with stand-up paddleboarding, here are some basic steps:

Get the Right Gear: You'll need a stand-up paddleboard, a paddle, a leash (especially important in open water), and appropriate attire like a swimsuit or quick-drying clothing. Consider wearing a personal flotation device (PFD), especially if you're new to the sport or paddling in challenging conditions.

Choose the Right Location: Start in calm, flat water like a lake or a sheltered bay. Avoid areas with strong currents, waves, or boat traffic, especially when you're still learning.

Learn the Basics: Practice proper paddling techniques, including how to hold the paddle, stance on the board, and basic strokes like the forward stroke, reverse stroke, and sweep stroke. Start on your knees if you're not comfortable standing right away, then gradually stand up once you feel stable.

Maintain Balance: Keep your feet parallel, about hip-width apart, and your knees slightly bent to maintain balance on the board. Look ahead and keep your core engaged to stabilize yourself.

Practice Falling Safely: Falling is a normal part of learning to paddleboard. Learn how to fall away from the board to avoid injury, and always fall flat into the water to minimize the risk of hitting submerged objects.

Enjoy and Explore: Once you're comfortable standing and paddling, you can start exploring different waterways, trying out new techniques, and even participating in SUP yoga, fishing, or racing if you're interested.

Remember to respect the environment and other water users while paddleboarding, and always follow local regulations and safety guidelines. With practice and patience, you'll soon be gliding across the water with ease! Let me know if you have any specific questions or need further guidance.

Advertisement