Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LONGGGGG LOSING STREAK

Options
  • 29-06-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Lads, Im in need of some reassurance from fellow Die harders.
    The last winner I backed, in any sport, was Pigeon Island in the Grand Annual at Cheltenham - 3 1/2 months ago!!!!!
    So that includes losers littered all over Aintree, Fairyhouse, Punchestown, Royal Ascot, all the Classics and other races at the weekends, which are my usual betting days.
    Not only that, but it also includes any other bets that Id have on other sports like football and golf. The real sickener was one that I missed - Tim Clark when he won the Players as I had backed him a few times before.
    He was 100/1 on the Saturday morning:(.
    Has anyone else any horror stories of long losing streaks?
    Im starting to wonder whats the point...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm sure if i bet on horses i'd have a lot more losses and rack up some long losing streaks. But thankfully i have found a good few sites for the sports i do bet on that contain a lot of good tips backed up with solid information. With a small element of luck and a lot of research i've never really managed to go more than 3 or 4 losing bets in a row.

How often are you betting and what is your selection process? Just something you fancy or do you put a bit of research into your bets?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

How often are you betting and what is your selection process? Just something you fancy or do you put a bit of research into your bets?

Well Im not a favourite backer, on the horses at least.
    I do know the form of the horses in the Group 1s in particular so Im not sticking a pin in it either. I look at the ground and see if a horse was unlucky last time/ badly prepared etc. I like to look for excuses as to why a horse didnt perform last time and give them a second chance.
    It has worked extremely well for me in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Last year I'd a blinding run up to the Cheltenham festival. Then it all went horribly wrong up to around December. A decent Xmas punting period kept me in Profit for the year but looking at my figures from April to the end of November still puts a shiver down my spine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I'm the same as Colonel, January to March this year was impossible for me. I did have winners but few and far between, poor staking on the winners due to confidence and plenty of losers.

My advice to you mate would be don't ignore favorites because they're favorites. I sometimes find that when your down, you look for big price winners because your subconscously looking to chase your losses. You gotta forget about your losing bets and find winners. On the other hand, you should maybe give up for a month and paper trade until you hit form again. I did that around Feburary and started again just before Cheltenham where I had a good festival and its been pretty even since then.

• Moderators Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Having an awful run of it myself, Spent 4 hours covering two races last night. First one ran just there, Backed from 8/1 into 7/2. Every chance 1f out and found nothing to come 3rd, I could of and should of went e/w but didn't. Having an awful run of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭deewhy

Nulty wrote: »
    I'm the same as Colonel, January to March this year was impossible for me. I did have winners but few and far between, poor staking on the winners due to confidence and plenty of losers.

My advice to you mate would be don't ignore favorites because they're favorites. I sometimes find that when your down, you look for big price winners because your subconscously looking to chase your losses. You gotta forget about your losing bets and find winners. On the other hand, you should maybe give up for a month and paper trade until you hit form again. I did that around Feburary and started again just before Cheltenham where I had a good festival and its been pretty even since then.

Good advice here - we all have long losing runs and you have to trust that luck will turn. I too had a terrible run from Cheltenham up until recently. Its funny how it can change though once you remain patient. My recent run has been very good. I remember Harry Findlay been asked this question and the one bit of advice he gave was when you are on a losing streak - bet small, reduce your stake until it starts to turn, that way you limit the damage. Keep the faith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

9.20 Redcar Cross Key Evs should get you back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

any certain reason or is this just your fancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

3rd..:(
    I didnt back it..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭deewhy

You should read PointBreaks thread titled Interview with Hugh Taylor...it will give you plenty of hope. Even the legends have long losing runs

• Advertisement
Advertisement