Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to France to Collect 600 bottles of Wine for a Wedding! Are my sums right?

Options
  • 29-06-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to see if it worthwhile heading to France to collect wine I have already purchased or would it be better to get it delivered?!?

The problem with getting it delivered it the import duty is about €2.50 onto each bottle so thats €1500 straight off + the cost of delivery.

I was planning on getting the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead with 2 friends and a van. Then driving from Holyhead to Folkstone and getting the chunnel from there to Calais. Collecting the wine, staying over in a hotel and then heading back the next day.

I have calculated it so far as

Holyhead to Folkstone = 367 miles (734 miles return, let’s say 800)

I have a van already. An average van would do 30 mpg.

800 miles divided by 30mpg = 26.6 gallons

To convert 26.6 gallons into litres = 26.6 X 4.54 = 120L of diesel x 1.23 euros = 147 euro on Diesel

So thats
    Insurance = ???
    Ferry = 582 return
    Fuel = 150
    Train = 165 return
    Hotel = 120

€1017

As this is for a wedding and people will not be charged for any of it I presume I can bring it into Ireland as long I have proof its for a wedding???
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

bit of a false ecomony - what not track down a truck driver who does the continent and ask him to get you your consignment of vino and pay him a couple of hundred for his troubles.

I have a pal who drives the continent and he looks after me very well. Find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

Then I am still going to have to pay duty when its gets to Dublin port no?

Or does it matter who brings it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TimberMerchant

My cousin was doing the same last year but for 400 bottles (will be some wedding for 600!) Anyway he reckons after speaking with some guy in the Industry afterwards he only saved about 250 euro. Wasnt worth the hassle. It was 2 of them in the van. You havent included expenses for food and drink etc on the trip for 3 people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Quick wrote: »
    does it matter who brings it in?
    Legally, yes it does. To not pay Irish excise you must transport it yourself. MidlandsM is suggesting smuggling.

Adding in food and drink, I would say it would save us €500 - €650

All that driving etc I would nearly prefer to pay the difference.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

Why not get a direct ferry from Ireland to France if you have the time. Then, instead of it being a chore to save money, look on it as a quick cheap holiday subsidised by the cheap Vino!

BeerNut wrote: »
    Legally, yes it does. To not pay Irish excise you must transport it yourself. MidlandsM is suggesting smuggling.

Nope, nor do I condone smuggling. That would be essentially duty tax evasion, and that would be awful.;)

That was another option aswell, but spending 18 hours on a ferry one way is my idea of hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Does the hotel charge for corkage for each bottle?

in this recession, hotels are glad of the business and will waive corkage, only mugs pay for it imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How much did you pay for the wine i.e. each bottle

It's working out about average 12 euro per bottle. Was just on to a friend if a friend and he said it's normally 160 - 200 for a pallet to be shipped. I have two pallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Hi,

As this is for a wedding and people will not be charged for any of it I presume I can bring it into Ireland as long I have proof its for a wedding???
    Thanks

Not sure about that ... It used to be a situation that you were allowed to bring in enough wine for personal use for a year. I'm fairly sure personal use does not cover weddings and parties.

At a push you could try and say you have a bottle a day which equates to 365 bottles for personal use. If you use the trick that each of you are buying 200 bottles each for personal use then you'll need 3 seperate reciepts for each of you. You probably can get around this by paying in cash.

Lastly could you not go direct from an Irish Port to France ... do you save anything on total fares.

Good luck with it anyway and hopefully there will not be any issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not sure about that ... It used to be a situation that you were allowed to bring in enough wine for personal use for a year.
    The official EU line is that it must be "for the own use of the traveller or his family", not just personal use. Revenue's own guidelines are here and aren't very helpful in this situation, saying you won't be challenged up to 90L but nothing about what happens after. I would say proof that it's for a wedding would be enough, but you never know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Revenue has be told by the eu to fook off with that 90l nonsense.
    you can take as much as you like

What about getting it imported as I have gotten a price of 160 - 200 per pallet, there are two pallets.

Is the duty calculated per bottle or a % of the total value????

Do you know how much in each case?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭theCaffers

Im driving there on Saturday with my girlfriend for 2 weeks in a Jeep cherokee ( holiday) - if you want to work out something out for a fee - depends where it is etc how much there is etc though

just spotted the post above - 2 palletts - don't know how many bottles that is but seems a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

First off you can get 600btls on a pallet, no problem. However as outlined above however if you were not accompanying the wine you would be liable for excise, which is €1.97 pet bottle of still, and €3.94 per bottle of sparkling (both ex VAT).

As an owner operator of a family business that imports wine, I'm naturally biased but I personally don't see the point in all of the hassle and the outlay of over €1,000 to drive to France to buy cheap wine. If it's cheap wine you want, go to Aldi!

Is it good juice that you're considering buying, then the situation is different I guess. Undoubtedly you can get better prices over there, but what happens if its a roasting hot summer day and everyone decides beer/cocktails sound nicer? Maybe you've go 200 bottles left over, at a couple of euros a piece. You haven't saved anything then.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for that. It is good wine, 400 bottles and 200 Champers. The wedding is on private grounds and there wont be a corkage fee. There will be a bar but no cocktails will be on offer :) on the day.

The wine will deffo not go to waste and its the case where there are 200 left over then thats the families covered for wine for the next two years or so..

Its looking like €1167 to go over and collect it, includes travel, fuel, food, hotel.

Get it delivered should be

As its for a private function and not charging people for it, will I be charged IF I am stopped by customs and if so will it be @ €1.97 per bottle of still, and €3.94 per bottle of sparkling?

Is VAT @ 21%????

Thanks for the help on this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

As its for a private function and not charging people for it, will I be charged IF I am stopped by customs and if so will it be @ €1.97 per bottle of still, and €3.94 per bottle of sparkling?

If you're transporting it it's for private consumption and exempt from both duty and VAT afaik, so you'll be fine! There is a 90L limit however, and you are attempting to bring is 450L... I'd recommend calling the national excise office on 1890 500 400 to clarify what happens beyond that!

Thanks Ronan.

Will try in the morning they are closed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

MidlandsM wrote: »
    in this recession, hotels are glad of the business and will waive corkage, only mugs pay for it imho.

I was at a wedding recently where the `mugs` paid 15 euro corkage per bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Its looking like €1167 to go over and collect it, includes travel, fuel, food, hotel.

If you don't mind sharing, could you let us know what price you're paying for the wine/champers.

I'm considering copying you for our wedding next year, and it's really helpful to see how your costs work out for it. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Heroditas

How many people are going to the wedding?! :eek:

We had a two hour drinks reception for the 150 guests and they went through 75 bottles of prosecco for the reception and toast.
    About 40 bottles of wine were consumed during the meal.

pitkan wrote: »
    I was at a wedding recently where the `mugs` paid 15 euro corkage per bottle.

lol - some mothers do ave em':D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Even in 2007 era we only paid either €7.50 or €8.50 corkage.
    The trick is, don't tell them it's a wedding, just negotiate for a 'lunch' on a given day, for however many people.
    They will want the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

you might get the English channel crossing or the train/shuttle for less if you go on a same day return for about 50 quid. these tickets used be called booze cruise.

leave holyhead atafter midnight and you will be in france for mid morning, no prob.

Rugbyman

if you do stay you can get a three bed room for 50 euro

Advertisement