Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Medicine

Options
  • 29-06-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

So what course is everyone putting down on their CAO after medicine in case they don't get it, whether to do just for the year or to do it right through?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Although my CAO will be next year, pharmacy seems like a decent 2nd choice to me, however, since the points are still around 550, you'd want a 3rd choice down in case your Leaving Cert unfortunately goes south.

Note to med students changing their CAO, leave med at number 1 if you still wanna do it, but if you're changing anything, make sure you don't do it hastily and do some research...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CosmicLove

Biomedical, Health & Life Sciences
    Nursing (General & Children)
    Midwifery
    Science Omnibus
    All UCD.

Have a couple of other similar course in different colleges, but kinda have my heart set on UCD xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

Well seeing as the hpat was nothing short of a kick in the face, I'll hopfully be doing either Pharmacy or Dentistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

ive just got science down after....
    dont like nursing, radiography, radiation therapy etc......

praying i get med!!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

its
    Med(x4)
    pharmacy(x2)
    science
    medicinal chem
    sciene
    chem!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bookmarked

i have medicine in all five universities. hopefully i'd get in to nui galway but if not i have down:
    human health & disease (tcd),
    nursing intergrated (tcd),
    Biomedical, Health & Life Sciences (ucd),
    nursing integrated (ucd)
    and science in trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Trinity Med
    UCD Med
    RCSI Med
    Psychology and Sociology in Trinity
    History and Politics in Trinity
    PPES in Trinity

I hope to get one of them... I'd kinda rather do Psych and Soc in Trinity and then Medicine as a postgrad but it's too late and I have a feeling I'll get RCSI...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Just a bit of advice, its been discussed in other threads but you may not have seen it. If you're thinking of taking another course for a year, while repeating the hpat (if this is whats bringing you down), and then re-applying for medicine in 2011, you are no longer eligible for the "free fees" OR for the maintenance grant.

Free fees only cover 1st year once, so by going into first year again, you have to pay the course fees (of around €8000-€9000 for medicine), plus the registration fee (1500), and if you were eligible for the maintenance grant you now lose out on that €2000-€3000.

Its worth thinking about, if you're just going into a course for the sake of it, to pass the year and repeat the hpat. Repeating the Leaving Cert or going to college a year after all your friends might seem like the end of the world, but when you think of the money involved it could make more sense to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

^ just on that point.... Theres also quite a substantial risk of not getting in next year either and having wasted a year of your life you could have spent in college.

A post grad costs around 50, 60k.... a repeat year will set you back about 12k, makes sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Calum196 wrote: »
    ^ just on that point.... Theres also quite a substantial risk of not getting in next year either and having wasted a year of your life you could have spent in college.

A post grad costs around 50, 60k.... a repeat year will set you back about 12k, makes sense to me.

Not really, its a year you can do a lot with, travelling, saving up money, getting work experience etc. For people who can't afford the thousands that repeating 1st year or doing a postgrad, its not a huge sacrifice to make.

• Advertisement
Advertisement