Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Maintenance - complete novice looking to buy tool kit

Options
  • 29-06-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need to get a new chain and rear cassette for my bike. I want to start doing these sort of tasks and other maintenance activities myself rather than shelling out unnecessarily to my LBS for the simplest of tasks. My bike has Shimano components. I was looking at buying one of the tool kits below. Any comments or feedback on them or any other good value tool kits?
    Also, when buying a chain, is it worth investing in the higher end ones or just going for a bog standard cheaper one that you replace regularly? My bike has a full Dura Ace groupset.

X-Tools found here

PBK basic found here or PBK Pro found here
    Lifeline found here

Thanks in advance,
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

They are all pretty much the same. In fact, the lifeline and PBK kits are identical aside from the branding and price difference. I'd probably go for the PBK pro one, don't be put off by the 9 speed chain whip, I use one on 10 speed and it's fine.

Starter kits are the way to go really, you can then add tools as you need them. I wouldn't bother with the more expensive stuff (Park Tool, Pedros, etc.) they are obviously superior but shop tools are going to be used on several bikes a day, whereas you might be carrying out a bit of servicing or cleaning every other week. Of course, if you have money to burn and just want the nicest looking tools, then there is no reason not to buy them. The one thing I would buy a good pair of is cable cutters, the cheaper ones are pretty poor and tend to crush the ends of housings before cutting them.

I've posted this before, but this is a good deal and I have found a workstand to be a vital piece of kit. No messing with turning bikes upside down or leaning awkwardly against things, it's clamped, easy to work with. Glad I bought one. I don't have that particular one though so can't comment on quality.

As for consumables. No. Unless you are a pro or a weight weenie then any 10 speed cassette (in the right ratios) and chain will do. I really don't think it is worth it. I buy 105 cassettes and chains. I got a free Dura Ace chain there that has yet to be used but I'm not expecting any difference in performance. Again, if you have the money...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks very much for the pointers and advice DirkVoodoo.

I'll order one of the starter tool kits for now. There seems to be a couple of decent kits on the Merlin site too. I'll hold off on the stand until I know for sure that I'm making good use of the tools. :cool: Thanks again.

Advertisement