Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pet shop coming to Omni Santry

Options
  • 29-06-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

I walked past a shop being fitted out last week and noticed fish tanks in the back... so I guess we're getting a new pet shop :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ciars84

MaeveD wrote: »
    I walked past a shop being fitted out last week and noticed fish tanks in the back... so I guess we're getting a new pet shop :)

Oh very handy! Will have to keep an eye out for when its opening to have a peek!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are you sure it's not just the old pet shop being refitted? How would they compete with PetMania around the corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

tk123 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not just the old pet shop being refitted? How would they compete with PetMania around the corner?

Nope it's not the old one (which was stinky and tiny), new one is between the Chinese buffet and the Arcade outside, a much bigger unit. I think they'll have no problem competing, the petshop in Northwood has some great stuff but it is expensive.

Nope it's not the old one (which was stinky and tiny), new one is between the Chinese buffet and the Arcade outside, a much bigger unit. I think they'll have no problem competing, the petshop in Northwood has some great stuff but it is expensive.

Yeah you're right - pet mania is a bit of a rip off with stuff!! I wonder when the new one will open!! If only I had of seen this thread before I went to Omni earlier - i would have gone and looked in the windows for clues!! :D

I'll probably be down there tomorrow... I'll have a goo and report back :)

• Advertisement

Was in Omni today, still looks the same... definitely going to be a pet shop, I saw goldfish in the tanks on the back wall.

I'd say it won't be open for another while, they're still painting... next time I'll ask the workmen when it's opening :)

So today, I walked past and there was a guy working on the outside, so I was cheeky and asked him about it. He said the new petshop is opening this weekend :)

Good detective work Maeve! :D Perfect as the puppy is 1 on Friday - we can get him a birthday present in the new shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Ooh, can't wait to have a look! Hope they stock decent quality hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Hopefully it is decent. Wonder if it will be the run of the mill type of petshop (goldfish, hamsters, budgies) or if it will have more exotic stock like marine fish ( :D ) and reptiles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Are you sure it's a pet shop, and not the stock room for the buffet next door?!?!

Are you sure it's a pet shop, and not the stock room for the buffet next door?!?!

Stock room for Chinese Buffet with tanks full of goldfish etc.... hmm :rolleyes:

Nope, I'm 100% sure it's a new petshop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Stock room for Chinese Buffet with tanks full of goldfish etc.... hmm :rolleyes:

Nope, I'm 100% sure it's a new petshop :)

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get the joke some day!

Stevie Cakes: in case you didn't realise :rolleyes: = roll eyes (sarcastic)

I was down earlier and it's still not open, signs are up, it's called Petworld

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paulinlaois

Stevie Cakes: in case you didn't realise :rolleyes: = roll eyes (sarcastic)

I was down earlier and it's still not open, signs are up, it's called Petworld
    it will be smaller than petmania santry, i was in the petworld in galway and still thought petmania had more to offer, and staff are friendlier

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Petmania is a joke.

They have not got a clue about fish. No self respecting fish keeper would buy
    fish there. Over crowded and diseased tanks every where.
    It scares me to think about the amount of potential fish keepers that have
    been put off fish keeping by selling them fish that have died with in a few days.
    They also sell tanks and fish on the same day to people starting up.
    What a joke.
    I hope this new shop is half decent.

I cannot comment about their knowledge of quality of other pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paulinlaois

as far as im aware, because i just bought a tank there as there is a 25% off sale, and it is not my first tank they were able to tell me all the basic knowledge i needed to start this one. also who ever is looking after the tanks instore now as far as i could see is doing a good job, fish looked healthy no sign of disease in cold or tropical. also heard new marine stock is coming into santry soon! i know people had issues before with santry but from my experience recently, i came out of the shop very satisfied and im not easly pleased!

Petmania Santry need to just stop trying to keep marine fish stock. Either they haven't got the experience to keep them, or they haven't got the time, but their marine tanks are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I see Woodies now has an enlarged Pet Supplies section. Looks like in a recession people don't skimp on their kids or their pets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their is a sign on the door, its opening Thursday july 29th at 9 am. Its called 'PetWorld' iirc

• Advertisement

How big is it? I've only seen it from the outside, anyone had a closer look?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

Petmania in Northwood aren't the mae west like.

Especially with regards to reptiles. I keep a beardie, and the state of the feeder insects in petmania is ridiculous. Most of the box are dead when you pick them up. They also feed the wrong size of insects to the reptiles and the beardies are nearly always puffed up and dark.

Its a pain, cause it's the closest pet shop to me and having to go into ben all the time costs more in bus fares (plus the strange looks you get on the bus when the brown bag on your knee starts chirping :p) But if the new place in omni was any good, I would definately buy there!

Noopti wrote: »
    How big is it? I've only seen it from the outside, anyone had a closer look?

I was there yesterday, they were stocking it. It's pretty big for a shopping centre pet shop, at a guess about 130sqm, it's way smaller than Petmania.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Popped In yesterday with the kids and was impressed. It's a lot cheaper that petmania in northwood. I am going to get my little one a spongebob fishtank nxt week, works out at 50 quid Inc pump. Goldfish are 4 for a tenner, is this cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The tanks are small, the goldfish would need a bigger tank as time goes on but it's an ok starter size. Goldfish sadly are in general cheap just make sure where ever you buy the fish that there is not any ill or dead fish in the same tank and that all animals are 100% happy and healthy.
    Don't support any pet shop that has sick, injured animals or dirty tanks or cages.

I was in there yesterday and found it a little cramped compared to petmania. We got a rope toy for the pup so we'll see how long it lasts. I was a little pi$$ed off by the girl on the counter though when she told me to get our guy checked for hip dysplasia because "she'd say that's what's wrong with him" as soon as she heard he was a golden retriever with a cracked pad :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

smoggy11 wrote: »
    Petmania in Northwood aren't the mae west like.

Especially with regards to reptiles. I keep a beardie, and the state of the feeder insects in petmania is ridiculous. Most of the box are dead when you pick them up. They also feed the wrong size of insects to the reptiles and the beardies are nearly always puffed up and dark.

Its a pain, cause it's the closest pet shop to me and having to go into ben all the time costs more in bus fares (plus the strange looks you get on the bus when the brown bag on your knee starts chirping :p) But if the new place in omni was any good, I would definately buy there!

Have you seen the state of their fish tanks, absolutely revolting most of the time.

I sometimes buy doggie treats in there, and since I keep Lake Malawi Cichlid's I'd normally have a gander at their tropical fish - yuk!.

Advertisement