Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making myself sick on nights out

Options
  • 29-06-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been doing this for a while now. I find it helps me clear bloatedness and gives me a bit of a buzz for some reason. If I begin to feel a bit too drunk, heavy drunk or too full I'll pop off into the toilet, stick my fingers down my throat and force a burp/puke up. I know it sounds terrible, but when I'm drunk it seems like a great idea and I feel great after it. It's like a free equivalent of a red bull with the energy it seems to give me. It's like when I feel full or heavy, I'll become quiet and feel really uncomfortable. It's like clearing that puts me back in a great mood for the night.

How bad is this? Is it dangerous? Completely stupid I know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 c00kie m0nster

Hon, you need to stop drinking so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Have you ever thought about not drinking as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Stop drinking as much if you're getting too drunk, and maybe drink something else if you get too bloated. Vomiting like that can't be good for your throat or teeth with all the acid, let alone the whole mentality behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Billy Connolly calls it beer bulimia! :D It's not funny though. Heavy drinking is bad enough for you without drinking, throwing up and then drinking again. I'd say you have hangovers from hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

So not a good idea.

A. You're obviously going completely overboard on the booze and making a pig of yourself if you feel compelled to make yourself sick to get some relief

B. Alcohol is highly acidic. You are going to rip the bejesus out of your oesophegaus and stomach by doing this.

C. You're probably going around the pub or club stinking of vomit. Not really going to increase your chances of scoring tbh....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

making yourself sick isnt going to make you less drunk. the alcohol will already have been entered into your blood if you are feeling drunk

Its such a bad bad habit to have. Either give up drinking, or cut it down a lot, or mention it to a friend tha tyou are in a habit of doing it and the next night out, have her come to the bathroom with you

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Pukey111 wrote: »
    If I begin to feel a bit too drunk, heavy drunk or too full I'll pop off into the toilet, stick my fingers down my throat and force a burp/puke up.

If you have to do the above then you need to start looking at the quanties of what you are consuming.
    Take a good look at your behaviour before this goes any further and you cause yourself some serious health risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

first off, im a guy. bringing a girl to the bathroom with me would probably cause all sorts of problems.

i think you've skewed my information given. i can feel this way (full, uncomfortable, quiet) after one pint, even after a glass of coke. i can only think of a handful of times its happened when i've been polluted. getting that drunk is not something i make a habit of. i meant that i decide to do it when i get tired or full from drinking - neither requires me to be out of my head. its like i know its highly stupid, but i reason with myself that it will make for a good night, and its only a burp (only get sick if i mis-time it and try it too soon after eating)

i think its the dangers of it im worried about. i've heard the stories before about bulimics sending themselves into a spasm from forcing themselves to get sick (something to do with a nerve at the back of your throat?).

what about if its just to force a release of air? i know its still obviously twisted, but that's hardly as dangerous as making myself sick is it?

glad i've posted about it though. its highly unusual and not something id discuss with my friends. thanks for all the replies.

its also not something i do every night out. its something i do probably once a few months, but occasionally go through bursts of doing it more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

Pukey111 wrote: »
    first off, im a guy. bringing a girl to the bathroom with me would probably cause all sorts of problems.

i think you've skewed my information given. i can feel this way (full, uncomfortable, quiet) after one pint, even after a glass of coke. i can only think of a handful of times its happened when i've been polluted. getting that drunk is not something i make a habit of. i meant that i decide to do it when i get tired or full from drinking - neither requires me to be out of my head. its like i know its highly stupid, but i reason with myself that it will make for a good night, and its only a burp (only get sick if i mis-time it and try it too soon after eating)

i think its the dangers of it im worried about. i've heard the stories before about bulimics sending themselves into a spasm from forcing themselves to get sick (something to do with a nerve at the back of your throat?).

what about if its just to force a release of air? i know its still obviously twisted, but that's hardly as dangerous as making myself sick is it?

glad i've posted about it though. its highly unusual and not something id discuss with my friends. thanks for all the replies.

its also not something i do every night out. its something i do probably once a few months, but occasionally go through bursts of doing it more often.

Well say it to a guy friend and get him to go with you to the loo instead, just o keep an eye on you. Also, you are sayin that what if its just to force a release of air.... your title says that you are making yourself sick on nights out

Seems like you arent prepared to properly think abut the seriousness of what you are doing and you are just coming up with some excuses.

Try drinking things that arent full of gas since you feel that way after beer or coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Physically, forcing yourself to vomit can be very dangerous.

This is from Wikipedia
    Vomiting can be dangerous if the gastric content gets into the respiratory tract. Under normal circumstances the gag reflex and coughing will prevent this from occurring, however these protective reflexes are compromised in persons under the influences of certain substances such as alcohol or anesthesia. The individual may choke and asphyxiate or suffer an aspiration pneumonia.

Besides this there is a very real danger of dehydration, especially as you're drinking alcohol. Regular vomiting also wears the enamel of your teeth and gums, even though you say you only do this once in a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement