Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Pro - When will it be refreshed?

Options
  • 29-06-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Looking to buy a Mac Pro for some heavy photo and video editing work. I see the last release was in March 2009 and I don't want to fork out some serious cash for something that could have an update just around the corner.

Can anyone shed some light as to if and when they will be updated?

Also, how much would a 15.4" Macbook pro be, with the following specs?:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz
    4gb ram
    80gb Intel X25 SSD drive
    Nvidia 8600GTm 128mb video card
    Superdrive CD-R/W & DVD-R/W drive
    15.4" Matte display

Is in very good condition and comes with Snow Leopard and iLife '09 installed with the original installation disks. Also included, an Apple numeric keyboard and magic mouse.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Look it up on the website and find out for yourself!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's way overdue an update, but Apple are too busy with their iDevices. It's depressing that they've let it go so long without a refresh. Unless the next update is major, it doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac at all.

But I'd say it will get updated shortly. A price increase is probably on the cards for us Eurozone countries, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Look it up on the website and find out for yourself!!

That's what I have now and am thinking of selling. Perhaps I wasn't very clear on that. It's from August 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

macrumors is a reasonable source of speculation:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

Also, how much would a 15.4" Macbook pro be, with the following specs?:

http://www.mac2sell.net/ will give you a ball park figure. Have a look in www.adverts.ie Some similar spec machines to yours there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

It's way overdue an update, but Apple are too busy with their iDevices. It's depressing that they've let it go so long without a refresh. Unless the next update is major, it doesn't bode well for the future of the Mac at all.

But I'd say it will get updated shortly. A price increase is probably on the cards for us Eurozone countries, though.

Word is that Intel have not made the Hexacore (Yes, six core) Intel chipsets readily available enough to install Mac Pro's with them yet so it could be as late as September before these are readied, tested, upgraded and released.

And as the Sad Prof says, these beasts will likely be seriously, seriously expensive given that they will be dual processed with the priciest Intel Chip.

Thank you everyone for the replies. Might just go ahead and buy one now then. A mighty beast of a machine they are.

00Blaine00, I feel the need to apologise for any upset and distress I may have caused you by not being entirely clear that I was selling a unit and wanted to get a reasonable selling price.

Whatever distress I may have caused that would call for someone to log in and post a reply like yours, I apologise profusely once again. I will be thanking everyone but you especially.

Hang in there little guy :)

God bless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You should wait. If the price goes up too much you can buy from the refurb store.

Some interesting discussion on the whole thing here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=953527

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

You should wait. If the price goes up too much you can buy from the refurb store.

I'd also advise you to wait. If you need a machine urgently and are willing to hang onto it a top end iMac would make more sense or else get a Mac Mini and have it as a back up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Thank you everyone for the replies. Might just go ahead and buy one now then. A mighty beast of a machine they are.

00Blaine00, I feel the need to apologise for any upset and distress I may have caused you by not being entirely clear that I was selling a unit and wanted to get a reasonable selling price.

Whatever distress I may have caused that would call for someone to log in and post a reply like yours, I apologise profusely once again. I will be thanking everyone but you especially.

Hang in there little guy :)

God bless.

Ask a stupid question, you'll get a stupid answer... Its a fact of life!

Hang in there little guy! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Or give an answer like an ignorant little **** and expect to be called on it would be another way of looking at it.

Thanks, will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I think hanging on until the Autumn is reasonable advice, if you can. I'm hanging on for an MBP i7 2.66 bump, but I know it's not always possible.

Probably the next Mac Pro upgrade will be the one of the last, though it will be expensive.

uvox wrote: »
    I think hanging on until the Autumn is reasonable advice, if you can. I'm hanging on for an MBP i7 2.66 bump,.
    The MBP was only updated quite recently. If you have the money you should buy now.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have decided I'm going to go for an iMac - the 27" Core i7 based one. From accounts, the line has been blurred between this and the lower end mac pro i was looking at.

Should suit my needs for the next three years. I'm tired of waiting for news on the Mac Pro and don't want to fork out for something containing 15 month old technology.

And don't worry 00Blaine00, I'll be able to go online and look at the pricings for these electric tabulation machinings. God bless you man/dear - you make my day :)

Just so ya know, iMacs are due a refresh by September. But if you are going for the i7 there might not be much benefit in waiting. Especially as there's probably a price bump coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have decided I'm going to go for an iMac - the 27" Core i7 based one. From accounts, the line has been blurred between this and the lower end mac pro i was looking at.

I have an i7 27" iMac, it's very powerful but the weakest point is the graphics card. It's only an ATI Radeon HD 4850 which is last generation if you're looking at cutting/bleeding edge stuff. That said, I'm not sure if it makes that huge a difference for video/photo editing work given that it's a gaming card (i.e. whether the difference between generations makes much difference etc).

nesf wrote: »
    I have an i7 27" iMac, it's very powerful but the weakest point is the graphics card. It's only an ATI Radeon HD 4850 which is last generation if you're looking at cutting/bleeding edge stuff. That said, I'm not sure if it makes that huge a difference for video/photo editing work given that it's a gaming card (i.e. whether the difference between generations makes much difference etc).

I've heard a lot of good about them - good reviews across the board. A fast graphics card isn't too important to me. Placed my order tonight :)

Advertisement