Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings .... Arrgh!

Options
  • 29-06-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Why are weddings so hard to dress for when they shouldn't be!?

Or is it just me!?

I'm going to one in August and although I'm not a small girl I've finally gotten to a size where I at least fit into the majority of "high street" stores sizes. So, in theory, there are coutless numbers of dress possibilities out there but I just can't seem to pick anything nice! I find myself going for my age old favourite of a black dress, black tights, black shoes and a pashmina! It's so blah. I loath pashminas but I can never find anything to go over a dress! Cardigans just don't feel right and a blazer is too much? Or is it!?

I want to look summery but I don't want to fork out a load of money on something that'll only last me the summer. I also don't want something boring ... can any of you fashionistas help me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Hiya,

For the bit about not knowing what to wear over a dress, would you not consider a little colourful shrug or something instead of a cardigan or blazer? You can pick them up so easily in Penneys etc, I have a lovely one from there with little puff sleeves in a few different colours, so handy for throwing on just to keep my shoulders warm.

You should just start walking around shops and trying on all sorts of dress styles and colours, get an idea of what you like and dislike. If you're looking for a particular style you'll end up always going back to the same kind of thing, so just go shopping with no preconceived styles or ideas in your head and just try on pretty things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I've been around town the last few days trying on everything in sight!

I think I might go for a maxi dress .... tried on a lovely one in marks but it's not on the site. It was beautiful greens and browns. I'm kicking myself though cause its €109 and I'll probably never wear it again! Ah well .....

What would you wear over a maxi other than a bolero type cardi?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Orlee wrote: »
    I've been around town the last few days trying on everything in sight!

I think I might go for a maxi dress .... tried on a lovely one in marks but it's not on the site. It was beautiful greens and browns. I'm kicking myself though cause its €109 and I'll probably never wear it again! Ah well .....

What would you wear over a maxi other than a bolero type cardi?

I've spent a LOT more than e109 on a dress before but to hell with it! Go all out - that's what weddings are about!! If you like the dress then get it!! Obviously like anyting over 300 mark is a bit much.....and obv if you see something that's really cheap but looks great on you then get that too! It doesn't matter the price!

You could drape a nice silk shawl type thing/pashimna over the maxi:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

i wouldnt wear a maxi if your larger they have a tendency to make you look bigger something fitted is better show off you curves .

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

I was just going to suggest a maxi dress when i read you have already tried one out!

i think they are a great option as depedning on the style you go for they can hide a multitued(spelling?????) and if its long enough wear it with a nice pair of heels it will make you look so tall!

ive recently lost a good bit of weight too and wore a lovely maxi dress from awear to a wedding recently just threw a cream shawl over my shoulders while in the church as after that there was no need for it inside the hotel anyway and i didnt see the point in forking out for something that was only going to end up thrown over the back of my chair!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

leahyl wrote: »

You could drape a nice silk shawl type thing/pashimna over the maxi:)

'cept she "loathes" pashminas! :p

I think a bolero jacket would be nicer than a cardi.Would probably get more use of it too in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Malari wrote: »
    'cept she "loathes" pashminas! :p

I think a bolero jacket would be nicer than a cardi.Would probably get more use of it too in the summer.

OOPS....:p Sorry....!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I'm a size 16 and I find Monsoon great for dresses as they're cut well, especially on the bust - a lot of other shops are crazily skimpy in this area. There's a good variety of styles in Monsoon - try in the shop and buy online though - the exchange rate is insane here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

catthinkin wrote:
    i wouldnt wear a maxi if your larger they have a tendency to make you look bigger something fitted is better show off you curves .

I know what you mean ..... I was even saying that in another thread here that they don't suit me at all but I saw this as I wandered through M and S and it looked so exotic I just couldn't resist trying it on! I think it's cut really well on top so it falls just right
    Malari wrote:

yeah a Bolero Jacket would be nice, rather than just a cardi ... the ones I've seen so far have rben very suity though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I definitely think have a look for a little colourful shrug, not a cardigan and not a bolero, I don't know how to describe it better, it's all in the fabric!

The one I have like a million colours of is like a very soft t shirt fabric, jersey or something I know but I know it as t shirt fabric :) It's really soft and has little puff sleeves that kind of sag a little because it's so soft, looks lovely and feminine.

Since I posted last on this thread I've been looking for them in every clothes shop I've seen, I saw them in Penneys again and some cute ones in Tesco, and one or two in Awear. They're not expensive because they're so tiny and light but they don't look cheap, they're just colourful and girly. I think if you wear a pretty maxi dress pick one colour out of it (I'm assuming it has lots because most of them have nice patterns and colours) and highlight that colour with a little shrug type thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement