Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your curly hair routine

Options
  • 29-06-2010 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have curly hair and am interested to know from other curly people how you style your hair, what you put in etc., to perfect the curls. I'm normally in a rush in the morning so I pop a bit of curl cream in, scrunch the hair a bit to shape the curls and let it dry in the car! Any tips to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

My hair's at an awkward length now where it's not curling properly so I have to plait it before I go to bed (just loosely) and then when I take the plaits out in the morning, the curls are a bit tamer than they are when I leave my hair naturally.

I don't wash my hair in the mornings so couldn't advise you on a morning routine, but that's my current nighttime routine if I'm leaving my hair natural. Or if I can wash it really early in the evening then I let it curl naturally and put a bit of hairspray in before I go to bed and that tends to hold the curls properly until morning (i.e. sleeping doesn't turn my hair into a fuzzball if I put the hairspray in before I go to bed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sexdwarf

I'd love to be able to wash it before bed but I've quite greasy hair naturally and I toss and turn, so I wake up in the morning with Russell Brand hair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pkn09

I'm the same, my hair gets greasy so wash it in the morning. Not using any product isn't an option, drying naturally just gives wavy frizz, so annoying! I put curl balm into wet hair and twirl parts of my hair around my fingers to get defined curls and scrunch it a bit. When it dries there may be some frizzy parts but a tiny bit of product solves that so always have a small tube in my handbag! And blowdrying is a definite no!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

My hair is very curly but have spent the last few years GHDing it everyday so ended up with a head ful of dry split ends so have had them all cut out 2 weeks ago and am going curly again. My hair is very fine but I have a lot of it. I stopped using shampoos and conditioners with silcone a few months go and my hair is not as dry/ frizzy but the curls all over the place. I am using a serum in the morning on wet hair and just shaping with my fingers and leaving it. I find a lot of the "curl" ranges leace hair hard/ greasy or more fizzy than before. My hair is to short to tie back anything more than the front at the moment. MAjor pain in the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Mine is very curly but fine, longish layers to below my chin, and when it drys naturally it's just frizz.

I rinse it every morning (hairdresser told me to stop washing it every day because it was getting too dry - so I shampoo every 2-3 days) and comb through Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer with a wide tooth comb. If I have time I style/twirl the curls individually. I let it dry naturally in the car.

http://www.aveda.com/products/CATEGORY9515/Hair_Care/index.tmpl?PRODCAT_ID=CATEGORY14404

I've been using this curl enhancer for about 3 years now - hate the shampoo and conditioner btw. I buy 2-3 tubes at a time, and if I've less that one full one left I start to panic :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 vwcorrado

try Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, it is a very good product, it is a cream and gives more definition to your curls rather than frizz. there is a whole curls rock range!

vwcorrado wrote: »
    try Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, it is a very good product, it is a cream and gives more definition to your curls rather than frizz. there is a whole curls rock range!

That's the one I use alright but I do find that if I accidentally put even slightly too much in my hair it makes it go a bit hard, which I hate! It is the best out of all the ones I've tried so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Hey!

I've really thick, curly mid-length hair. I use aussie volume shampoo (I find it helps my hair look nice and bouncy instead of curly at the bottom and limp on top) and the hair treatment anti-frizz conditioner. Also use the aussie mousse.

I shower every morning(habit) and scrunch in a bit of mousse into the curls from the tips and don't put it near the roots. Then dry my hair with my head upside down (:o:confused::cool:) with a hair dryer with a diffuser attachment.

Phew.

Only takes about ten minutes but typing it makes it sound like an awful mouthful and hard work! lol. :pac:

I straighten it alot too and find that the mousse + diffuser still keeps the curls perfect if I decide any day to keep it curly that day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

First rule for me is always no hair brush! Just creates frizz and it hurts :p I tried one of those Tangle Teasers though and they're amazing. Would be handy if you needed to brush your hair before straightening or whatever.

After washing, I towel dry, use some John Frieda mousse, leave to dry some more, then blast with the hair drier and hairspray. If I'm heading out I'll throw it up in a bun until I'm ready to go for some more volume.

Twee. wrote: »
    First rule for me is always no hair brush! Just creates frizz and it hurts :p I tried one of those Tangle Teasers though and they're amazing. Would be handy if you needed to brush your hair before straightening or whatever.

After washing, I towel dry, use some John Frieda mousse, leave to dry some more, then blast with the hair drier and hairspray. If I'm heading out I'll throw it up in a bun until I'm ready to go for some more volume.

How does the tangle teaser work? I usually comb my hair through in the shower while it's full of conditioner but it can be a pain sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

No idea how it works! But it does! Having your whole hand on the brush helps too, as you're not "yanking" down on a handle, if you get me.
    Saw them in Peter Marks, not sure of the price, but I assume they're cheaper online.

tangle_teezer_500x306.jpg

Advertisement