Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RFID

Options
  • 29-06-2010 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hey,
    was just wondering if anyone could help me understand RFID a bit better and help me out.
    I've a university card, which I presume is RFID, just don't know what protocol it is. There's different types of protocols for RFID, no? Is there any way of finding this out?
    Thanks
    Nathan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

I've been looking into that whole area and starting to get a grasp on it myself. There are 2 general technologies that are similar to each other and people often confuse: RFID and contactless smart cards. Smart cards appear on credit cards and sim cards for example. The contactless ones basically are wireless. The catch is that both contactless smart cards and RFID can operate on the same frequency (13.56 mhz) and can be encased in a way where it's hard to tell the difference.

The main difference is that generally the contactless smart cards generally use secure communication and hold sensitive information.

RFID on the other hand is generally just like a key code or like a wireless bar code. They generally have a longer range as well.

http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/market-insight-top.pag?docid=83467478
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/rfid.htm

RFID comes in 3 forms
    Active
    passive
    Semi passive

Uses batteries:
    Active - Uses battery to send signal out to reader.
    Semi passive - Reader supplies power for broadcasting

Doesn't use batteries:
    Passive: Passive take the energy of the reader and use that completely to power them up.

More than likely you have a passive rfid. Wikipedia entries and googling brings great wonders. I'm in the process of finding an rfid reader to play around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dylancommons

Hi my name is Dylan, I understand this thread is from a number of years back but I would love some feedback on whether or not you know what companies sell these systems to the Universities here in Ireland. I am carrying out a research project on the ability to track students attendance and was hoping you could help me with anything you know.

Cheers
    Dylan

Advertisement