Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raised scar?

Options
  • 29-06-2010 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey i have a raised scar (hyperthropic) on the side of my chin from childhood abuse its starting to get me down as its a constant reminder of my past and i dont think it looks very nice, i am on the list to see a plastic surgeon but that wont be for a year and a half :( and i cant afford to see one privatly. i dont mind having a scar as long as its a flat one this one is slightly raised has anyone any advice on flattening scars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

H! I'm glad you've decided to be proactive and try to get rid of this reminder.

I have read that a dermatologist might be a good professional to about scar reduction as there are very effective non-surgical treatments. Alternatively you can buy a "silicon sheet" which is washable and reusable. Google it for info.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

I have lots of raised scars, i think it's called Keloid scarring. I was told by a doctor that if i got them removed they could grow back the same way or worse :/. That was about 10 years ago though so technology may have moved forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

There's a product called cica care which I was given in the past - its basically a gel sheet about 5mm thick which you place on the scar for an hour, two hours, four hours and finally overnight.

I was offered it about nine years ago to deal with some heavy scarring I have but never really used it as I felt that the scars were a part of me.. I'm sure however that things have moved on since then and your doctor will be able to tell you about the newer versions available and of course the best solution for your specific scars!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

moldypeach wrote: »
    I have lots of raised scars, i think it's called Keloid scarring.
    Do not confuse Hypertrophic scarring with Keloid scarring

Keloid can grow to other parts whereas Hypertrophic scars are raised scars that do not grow beyond the original wound.

I have one (Hypertrophic scar) on my forearm but is self inflicted (scarring from a tattoo)
    If i get a slap or a bang on it, it will raise even higher

OP: Vitamin E oil can reduce the scarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Indeed, hypertrophic and keloids are far, far different from one another. Original poster, if your scar has been there for years then speak to a dermatologist about it as many of the remedies listed here will be pretty useless by now as the collagen remodelling in the scar will have likely stopped now and most over-the-counter remedies do not reverse collagen remodelling, they might be useful to some extent on fresher scars where the remodelling is ongoing but not now.

Don't waste your money until you've consulted a dermatologist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

OP We cannot offer medical advice on boards

As r3nu4l pointed out, try going the Dermatoligist route, you might be able to be seen quicker than with the plastic surgeon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement