Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(New) g1 questions

Options
  • 29-06-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭

Hi, just got a g1 as a present. Few niggly bits I need help with.

1 - The wireless on it sucks as the connection is weak despite being very much in range and the speed sucks too - any way to help this?

2 - it has 1.6 installed - Cyanogen said he is gonna do 2.2 for the g1 and many other phones - but would the g1 be able to handle it with any decent speed?

3 - new questions below.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

I cant answer them all so...

4 - what is the best keyboard for the g1, or is the android one the best? personally i find slideit to be my preferred keyboard for the

6 - network, can this be easily set up to work on three? my meteor sim works fine but if i port my number over to three will the mobil net work etc? yeah its simple to get it working on 3

apn - 3ireland.ie
    server - 3ireland.ie
    mcc - 272
    mnc - 05

leave everything else blank,i've not got it set up for mms cos i dont use them.

It's meant to be able to run 2.1 roms at good speed just with extras hacked off it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

cool thanks very very much.

Is slideit any good in comparision to say swype?

coolio would three give me the mms settings once i have the sim set up and have those settings in? because then it is pretty much a three phone.

still looking for more input.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

1. It might be down to the encryption you are using on your network. I've heard that AES is a little to intensive for the G1 and it really impacts the speed. If you're not too worried about security you could try TKIP instead.

2. I wouldn't expect OTA updates for that phone as it has never been on an Irish network. Check out either xda-devolpers for guides on how to flash custom ROMs. It's possible that 2.2 will work on the G1, the main restriction is the amount of ROM space it has, but some stuff should be able to be removed so it will fit. It should work reasonably well after that.

3. Base, I don't think that the G1 ever had sense. But if you want it it's probably possible to get it in one of the ROMs.

4. Well the hardware keyboard in the G1 is probably the best, after that I find Swype to be quite handy.

5. You can get it on earlier versions, however it requires flashing a custom ROM anyway, so you may as well go to 2.1

6. Usually you get these settings after a couple of seconds on the network automatically, if it doesn't then I think this thread has them all.

7. It should just appear as a disk drive in finder, I'm not sure what would stop it from mounting there. On linux you would look in dmesg to see where the errors are, so perhaps it will tell you on osx as well.

Well that clears it pretty much up thanks to everybody. Most gripes I have can be fixed with software upgrades.

EDIT - See below.

edit, see below.

• Advertisement

1 - Does the g1 run 2.1 mods well? Cyanogen said he is gonna do 2.2 for the g1, do you reckon it will run smoothly and fast enough?

2 - When i use the phone in landscape (turned from normal) mode in the market when i type it doesnt show up the letters but they do register and the search works it can be fixed if i do portrait first type a letter and then switch but that takes time, any advice?

The phone is set up so lanscape works and it works in apps no bother but to get it to work on the homescreens i still have to pull out the keyboard which is a waste as it is harder to use the touchscreen then which is the whole point when not typing, any advice?

4 - What is the best way to top up with three?

calling 1744 gets me to enter the code eventually after listening for a few seconds then pressing hash listening to my credit balance (which is wrong) and then pressing hash again and then finally being told to press 1 to enter in code to top up.

The first way i am told to top us is online but if i have no credit how do i do that if its costs and i am not on wifi?

surely there is a simple 1741 or whatever solution, no?

5 - how do i see what date a message was received on in the message app? it only shows date even if it was received yesterday.

6 - can i set up cabbage to be used to send messages by default? can messages sent by cabbages be shown in threads like normal messages?

7 - can cabbage send messages over 3g? i cant seem to do it, can over wifi.

Thanks for any input.

Surely somebody has some answers, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Surely somebody has some answers, please.

4 I remember when i was with 3 you could enter the code in online!

Ye but if I have no credit how do I do that - have they no simple or quicker free way?

Thanks, still looking for answers on all questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Ye but if I have no credit how do I do that - have they no simple or quicker free way?

Thanks, still looking for answers on all questions.

If you have an internet connection (at home), go online to my https://my3.three.ie, login and you can enter the code from there, takes 2 seconds!! :D

• Advertisement

Fair enough I might do that or might just go through the phone thing.
    Thanks.

Still looking for input on the other questions above.

Ignore above questions - I cant edit them out.

1 - Can i set up cabbage to be used to send messages by default? can messages sent by cabbages be shown in threads like normal messages?

2 - can cabbage send messages over 3g? i cant seem to do it, can over wifi.

Advertisement