Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselling any good?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm going to see a counsellor for the last month or so. I started going as I wanted to sort out my head, in terms of what I really want from people, and relationships, and also to try to figure out how to deal with people and problems.

Thing is that now I kinda am not so sure I'm really getting anywhere with it. I've broken up with my boyfriend during this time, and I am understanding a bit more about it, but I'm really not sure that it's anything to do with going to see my counsellor.

I'm unemployed, and it costs 50 euros a week, which I can actually manage, but obviously I'd rather not pay it if I am not getting anything out of it. I just wonder really is there anyone that has experience with a situation like this. I suppose I'm asking how do you know if it's doing you any good?

I just feel that (although I recognise it's not been a long time) things really haven't changed for me, in the way I see things, or anything really. I'd really hate to say it to her, that I don't feel like i'm getting anything from it. It'd be awkward. And I don't know how to go about dealing with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SinchoE

I'd stick it out for another few weeks to be honest. Counselling can be a very slow process, it can take a while before you realise how much its helping. Give it another month and it, at that stage, you still feel the same, try another counsellor maybe. But for now, hang tough, I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Hi

I'm unemployed, and it costs 50 euros a week, which I can actually manage, but obviously I'd rather not pay it if I am not getting anything out of it.

You must be going private? Get a referal from your GP and you should be able to get free sessions from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    You must be going private? Get a referal from your GP and you should be able to get free sessions from then on.

There is no free counselling on the medical card. I know because I asked. My doctor told me there was no one, not even psychologists he could refer me to on the public system.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi OP

I was in an almost identical situation a little while back and i ended up having to say it to my therapist because, like yourself, 50 yo-yo's is 50 yo-yo's and when you're not working its a lot of money every week.

I just said that i felt nothing was really changing and that i thought "more" would be happening by now and that i felt like we were just a bit stuck and not moving forward and he was completely fine with it. sometimes they just let you go at your own pace because they don't want to push anything, but they can't read minds (although, sometimes i wonder, lol!) so just say it, i'm sure she'll be fine with it. I'm sure worse things are said to them everyday! plus, it might be a sign that you're progressing and that might be what she's waiting for...?

I wouldnt stop going though, you obviously started going for a reason and if, like you said, you havent gotten what you want from it, then let her know what it is that you do want and get your monies worth every week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

There is no free counselling on the medical card. I know because I asked. My doctor told me there was no one, not even psychologists he could refer me to on the public system.

You dont have to have a medical card. A good friend of mine has seen councellors for a number of years. They got a referal from their doctor and never had to pay a penny.
    It maybe that your area doesn't have a psychologist but you can get referred for free on the public system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

There are a few "free" organisations that provide counselling where you give a donation or whatever you can afford, where are you based. Target is based in Donaghmede

http://www.targetcounselling.net/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.... I have a medical card, and I've asked my doctor to put me down for counselling through the HSE, and he sent off a letter and all, but they sent one back saying that my case wasn't strong enough to warrant a counsellor free of charge. Great service eh?

I'll stick with it for a while i suppose. the latest session she was talking about me having to be in situations and for stuff to be happening to be able to work through it, and so she told me about a local group and asked maybe would I join it, or volunteer for it, so she's going to send me on the details for that. I'm not sure about the idea of having to be in a situation to be able to work through how to deal with it, but sure what can I say to her? I've kinda become friends with a person lately, and so I've been talking to her about things I'm thinking, and I'm in the middle of trying to gather enough courage to move in to a house with strangers, but she hasn't really helped with either of these.I'll give it another while i suppose.

Thanks again guys.

Advertisement