Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW Client

Options
  • 28-06-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Can anyone point me in a direction where I could download WoW without the CDs. At the minute Im using the game client from the WoW EU page but it is painfully slow, less than 100kb/s (although judging by the time it takes for videos and pages to load it still seems to be hogging most of my bandwidth, that being a 7mb connection).

I've tried forwarding recommended ports but it doesnt seem to have helped at all.Is there anywhere I could download a fully updated game at a decent speed?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,038 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

best case scenario would be get an external drive and copy the files from someone who already has a patched client.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

Yea I was thinking about that but the lads I used to play with have all stopped playing this past year so doubt if they would have the files for the game itself let alone updated ones. Looks like I'll just have to stick with the client downloader, by the time I come accross anything worthwhile I''ll probably be over the 60% mark anyway, thanks all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 82,038 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well, on the bright side you can use this time to go for the last jog you'll have for the next 6 months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'm downloadng WoW at home at the moment, how big is it? > 2gigs?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My Warcraft folder is over 20gigs iirc, but thats with addons, patches etc... The client is between 4 and 6 gigs from what i remember after downloading it last time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

wowwiki has patch mirrors iirc. You should be able to get all the updates and patches through there, saving you from downloading them through the wow client. Game content on discs, not sure where you would get them legally.

You can download the client from the official site iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

If you had access to Usenet, full client downloads are available from there, both ISO images of originals and also complete installations (running around 15Gb) which you just unpack and that's it. Wouldn't think it would be deemed piracy etc., as you need your own key to play anyway. Just be careful of trojans/viruses et all if not downloading (no matter where) from Blizzard themselves.

On a side note, just noticed that someone from the F&F Alpha uploaded a complete Sandbox version of Cata (15.6Gb) which runs standalone - so I'm guessing more stable versions would be uploaded by others once it hits proper beta. Would be a bit crazy like, downloading nearly 16Gb just to run around the new Cata Wow on your own :eek:

Nehaxak wrote: »
    On a side note, just noticed that someone from the F&F Alpha uploaded a complete Sandbox version of Cata (15.6Gb) which runs standalone - so I'm guessing more stable versions would be uploaded by others once it hits proper beta. Would be a bit crazy like, downloading nearly 16Gb just to run around the new Cata Wow on your own :eek:
    You're downloading it right now, aren't you? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

This is all over a load of private trackers too. Some nefarious people have already put it on the usual public trackers loaded with trojans and keyloggers. Expect a huge influx of peoples account getting hacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Kiith wrote: »
    You're downloading it right now, aren't you? :P

Hah :) No, I'm actually not interested in it at all until it launches proper, don't want in any beta's this time around, want to enjoy it like everyone else when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Easiest thing to do it go to battle.net and click manage games and you get a little icon called download PC/Mac Client very fast and easy install i did this recently after i had to reinstall windows and wow wouldn't work from my backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

jeawan wrote: »
    Easiest thing to do it go to battle.net and click manage games and you get a little icon called download PC/Mac Client very fast and easy install i did this recently after i had to reinstall windows and wow wouldn't work from my backup.

does that actually download wow + bc + lk or just wow and to what patch does it go to ? i just downloaded it but it was only 30mb surely its not the up to date patch ? it says wow 4.0 but i dont know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

niallith wrote: »
    does that actually download wow + bc + lk or just wow and to what patch does it go to ? i just downloaded it but it was only 30mb surely its not the up to date patch ? it says wow 4.0 but i dont know ?

Its the client downloader. It runs and pulls the rest of the data up to the latest patch.

Advertisement