Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much Top Soil?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a patch of the garden where I've recently removed some dense shrubs. As a result I need some top soil to raise the level and plant grass. The area is triangular and measures about 4m x 4m x 5m and slopes from the 5m side to depth of 15 to 20cm.

How much top soil will I need? I'm not much good at relating weight of top soil to volume so any estimates would be greatly appreciated. A little too much wouldn't be a problem as I could scatter it around other shrubs/beds.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

crosstownk wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a patch of the garden where I've recently removed some dense shrubs. As a result I need some top soil to raise the level and plant grass. The area is triangular and measures about 4m x 4m x 5m and slopes from the 5m side to depth of 15 to 20cm.

How much top soil will I need? I'm not much good at relating weight of top soil to volume so any estimates would be greatly appreciated. A little too much wouldn't be a problem as I could scatter it around other shrubs/beds.

Thanks in advance.

approx 2 tonne based on area of 10sqm x 0.2 = 2cu m, 1 ton Topsoil is approx same vol as 1 cu m.

Expect some settlement/compaction c 10%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

also bearing in mind that a bag of Top Soil is 35L in capacity !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

robbie_998 wrote: »
    also bearing in mind that a bag of Top Soil is 35L in capacity !

What? Do you mean the small Garden centre bag which are 25L but surely not 1 ton bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭87pio

Ton of Top Soil will cover 30sq mtrs an inch deep. So you can do the maths yourself now:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Job done - thanks for all the advice.

Now I'm waiting for the grass seeds to sprout.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I hope you are watering it daily, if not twice a day. Morning and evening...dont water during the day you will loose most of it to evaporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

GreeBo wrote: »
    I hope you are watering it daily, if not twice a day. Morning and evening...dont water during the day you will loose most of it to evaporation.

Yes, regular watering. Already some of the seeds are starting to open up so hopefully the patch will soon change from brown to green.

Advertisement