Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Fees!?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I heard from a friend doing repeats that they are charging €400 to do repeats now (no matter how many). Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 yellowfolder

No you don't have to pay fees for supplementals! if your still in doubt contact the senior tutor....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

No you don't have to pay fees for supplementals! if your still in doubt contact the senior tutor....

I thought you had to pay money to repeat the exams??

i didnt think it would be that dear however!

You were right and i was wrong!

http://www.tcd.ie/Senior_Tutor/faq/#Q14

18. If I have to repeat the year, do I have to pay fees?
    In most cases yes. If you are entitled to the fees remission scheme and you repeat a year, you will have to pay fees for the year that you repeat. Once you've passed that year, you can again avail of fees remission.

If you are repeating because you had to withdraw during the year or were unable to sit the exam on medical grounds, you should contact your Tutor to discuss your situation. Depending on your personal circumstances, you may qualify for a medical repeat.

Is the fees remission scheme basically just free fees or is this some sort of grant? I think i understand what it means i just want to make sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Free repeats - it's like they're encouraging us to fail. I've heard of people in other colleges cramming like f*ck for exams purely because they can't afford to fork out a couple of hundred for repeats. Seems like good motivation.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Free repeats - it's like they're encouraging us to fail. I've heard of people in other colleges cramming like f*ck for exams purely because they can't afford to fork out a couple of hundred for repeats. Seems like good motivation.

But realistically who wants to repeat anyway. Paying would just be another downside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    You were right and i was wrong!

http://www.tcd.ie/Senior_Tutor/faq/#Q14

18. If I have to repeat the year, do I have to pay fees?
    In most cases yes. If you are entitled to the fees remission scheme and you repeat a year, you will have to pay fees for the year that you repeat. Once you've passed that year, you can again avail of fees remission.

If you are repeating because you had to withdraw during the year or were unable to sit the exam on medical grounds, you should contact your Tutor to discuss your situation. Depending on your personal circumstances, you may qualify for a medical repeat.

Is the fees remission scheme basically just free fees or is this some sort of grant? I think i understand what it means i just want to make sure!
    The fee remission scheme is free fees.
    Basically the government will pay of each year of you primary degree once.
    So if you have to repeat a year they wont pay it, but once you pass it, they will pay for the next year, but again only once.

If you drop out of a course after first year, the government will have already paid for a first year for you, so you have to pay for the new one yourself. Once you get to second year of your new course, free fees will kick in agian.

mathew wrote: »
    The fee remission scheme is free fees.
    Basically the government will pay of each year of you primary degree once.
    So if you have to repeat a year they wont pay it, but once you pass it, they will pay for the next year, but again only once.

If you drop out of a course after first year, the government will have already paid for a first year for you, so you have to pay for the new one yourself. Once you get to second year of your new course, free fees will kick in agian.

In one way thats great and in another way it's a bit ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    In one way thats great and in another way it's a bit ridiculous.

How so?

Some people may decide they don't like the course and drop thus would have to pay for four years of a new degree.

At least it gives people a chance, sometimes people fail years for various reasons at least it doesn't completely screw them over.

Craguls wrote: »
    How so?

Some people may decide they don't like the course and drop thus would have to pay for four years of a new degree.

At least it gives people a chance, sometimes people fail years for various reasons at least it doesn't completely screw them over.

Ye I good point i didn't really think it through tbh I just put down a quick reply. Thanks for the info anyway.;)

ALSO...SHUT UP CRAGULS...i just want u to know that i won this enthralling debate....k:cool::pac:

Advertisement