Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay-friendly G.P. in Clondalkin or Blanch area.

Options
  • 28-06-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I live in Clondalkin, and work in Blanchardstown.. and I'd like to find a gay-friendly G.P. somewhere convenient either to work, home, or both.

A gay male would be ideal, really.

Anyone know of any?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭LGiamani

Who does'nt want to meet a gay male GP hot hot hot

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

LGiamani wrote: »
    Who does'nt want to meet a gay male GP hot hot hot

Most male GPs are in their late 30s or above due to the ~70:30 female:male ratio of recent graduates; and generally rather the worse for wear from the stresses of the job.

If there's any hot ones around, they're mine, bitch :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Are you looking to visit a G.P because you have a problem or are you posting a single's ad?

GP's (or any GP worth a damn) won't give a crap that you're gay.

You need to meet the local GP in my area. He is tall well build sexy smile and pleasent as hell. love to sit on his knee wee me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I just want a G.P. that will actually be used to hearing about potential issues that gay men have... preferably one who regularly deals with issues that might be of concern.
    It's also nice to have an easy rapport with your Doctor.

It would be nice if his first language was English as well.. or at least that he's very fluent in it.

I'm *NOT* looking to date a doctor.. and if I ended up dating a doctor.. he wouldn't be my physician. (I wouldn't date someone who was my barrister, dentist etc.. either.) You silly people! ;)

• Advertisement

A doctor does'nt care what your suitation is their job is to threat people no matter what the circumstance is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Dr. Varadker seemed fine to me. I've never actually had to present with him with particular sex-related issues or whatever, but I've little doubt he'd not have a problem. He knew I was gay, and he was very supportive of me wrt 'other' issues with family and stress and things.

Unfortunately though, I believe he is retiring very soon.

When I was younger and a little more scared, I went elsewhere for things like checkups and so on, to a doctor in the CC. Again, that doctor was completely unphased by my sexuality and was entirely easy to talk to about anything.

Really, I'd expect that would be the case with pretty much any doctor. Doctors are educated, if not perhaps even more enlightened than the average. They deal with all kinds of people all the time. If you did run into problems, file a complaint and move on to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Did you ask the GMHS if they know any?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That doesn't mean you'll be even remotely comfortable discussing things with them, nor that the won't act in a demeaning manor etc..
    LGiamani wrote: »
    A doctor does'nt care what your suitation is their job is to threat people no matter what the circumstance is.

What is the GMHS?

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Did you ask the GMHS if they know any?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Gay Men's Health Service

GMHS provides STI clinical, outreach and counselling services for gay and bisexual men, and men who have sex with men.
    GMHS along with Gay Health Network provides sexual health promotion, education and advice on the prevention HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis and other sexually transmitted infections, STIs. Information in 9 languages at www.ghn.ie

GMHS also provides Training, Research and organises the annual Gay Health Fora in partnership with other groups and agencies acts as a Reference centre in relation to gay health issues and other LGBT issues.

STI Clinical Services are based at Baggot St Hospital, Baggot Street, Dublin 4. MAP:

Counselling and outreach services are at Outhouse Community Centre, 105 Capel Street, Dublin 1. MAPGay Men's Health Service

GMHS provides STI clinical, outreach and counselling services for gay and bisexual men, and men who have sex with men.
    GMHS along with Gay Health Network provides sexual health promotion, education and advice on the prevention HIV, Syphilis, Hepatitis and other sexually transmitted infections, STIs. Information in 9 languages at www.ghn.ie

GMHS also provides Training, Research and organises the annual Gay Health Fora in partnership with other groups and agencies acts as a Reference centre in relation to gay health issues and other LGBT issues.

STI Clinical Services are based at Baggot St Hospital, Baggot Street, Dublin 4. MAP:

Counselling and outreach services are at Outhouse Community Centre, 105 Capel Street, Dublin 1. MAP

Realy OP, it's a bit of an insult to the GP's out there if you think they're not competent or incapable of dealing with you.
    By the very nature of their job you won't be the first gay patient they've come across and they can answer any questions.
    There are no gay unfriendly GPs out there, at least none that would refuse to deal with you

and it's an insult to ME when someone ignores the fact that I'm gay even though he's been told..
    It was also rather insulting to me back when I was a smoker, and went to a clinic mid-winter because I had a horrible case of bronchitis.. and the doctor treated me like a pariah when he found out I was a smoker.
    Doctors are not perfect.. and finding a doctor that you, personally, are comfortable with is very important. You have to be able to open up to your doctor and possibly tell them things you wouldn't tell your best friends.
    Why does everyone seem to think I'm dissing doctors in general.. when all I really want is to find a doctor that *I* am comfortable with?

:/ There have been a few useful comments, and some silly and funny ones... but the mean ones I could really do without.
    Realy OP, it's a bit of an insult to the GP's out there if you think they're not competent or incapable of dealing with you.
    By the very nature of their job you won't be the first gay patient they've come across and they can answer any questions.
    There are no gay unfriendly GPs out there, at least none that would refuse to deal with you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

...then just move Doctor. Doesn't need to be gay-friendly, just friendly.

I'm looking to move doctor.. but I want to move to one who IS genuinely gay-friendly. I'm no looking for one who would "act like a professional" regardless of my race, gender, creed etc.. I'm looking for one who is genuinely comfortable around gays.

Why is this so hard for fellow gay people to understand?

and why does everyone seem to think that non-useful comments are still necessary? :/
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    ...then just move Doctor. Doesn't need to be gay-friendly, just friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are still drs out there who refuse to take certain patients and treatments due to their 'religous conscience'. I can understand how much of a pain it is to have to educate your dr when you go see them and how a positive and friendly practice makes a huge level of difference esp when you are unwell and frankly don't need any additional stress and how you want one who will take into consideration your sexuality with out ignoring it or pinning everything on it.

My own drs know as part of my medical history my sexuality but honestly I don't know how they are with gay men and gay men's health issues as I am not aware of any of their male patients being gay. I honestly can't think of any out gay community in the greater blanchardstown area.

I think that trying to get a reference from Gay Men's Health Service could be a good idea.

There are no gay unfriendly GPs out there,
    How do you know this?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

OP I suggest you contact the GMHS outreach that is located in Outhouse

www.gaymenshealthservice.ie

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

"Sexual relations outside marriage constituted a violation of bodily integrity, and homosexuality did so in a particularly grave manner as being against the order of nature and a perversion of the biological function of the sexual organs . . . it was important that the state should do all in its power to discourage the spread of homosexuality and in particular should not appear by the laws to condone sexual practices calculated to undermine the institutions of marriage and the family."

That fine piece of hate speech was issued from one Rory O'Hanlon SC in 1980. At the time Dr O'Hanlon was representing the State. Even those who some of his clients moved to are equally homophobic. We all know of GPs overseas who will recommend conversion therapy, and I know counseling psychologists here who would subscribe to the principal that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice.

Furthermore a closeted friend is the son of a GP in Dublin CC who believes "all gay men should be shot"....

Two GPs who work with the GMHS are:

Dr. Keating in Harolds Cross is Medical Director of the GMHS
    http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/places/dr-shay-keating-22105
    Dr. Keating does evening clinics in the Harold's Cross area which may suit ideally for you in Clondalkin.

and Dr. Louise Pomeroy in the IFSCis seen as being Gay Friendly
    http://www.custommedical.ie/about.php

Both have vast experience in relation to the specific STI and Mental Health Issues faced by gay men.

In addition to this some GPs who are inexperienced in the area will place, a perhaps well intentioned, but unduly high weighting on the "gay" aspect, and see you as being a GAY patient, not just a patient who happens to be gay. Also there is additional discretion that some men would prefer to have - e.g. when non-anonymous bloods are being sent there is sometimes a box for category - among which is "men who have sex with men". Some people may not wish to be carrying documentation for same around with them, or having the receptionist/practice nurse / bloods courier seeing their sexual orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There are still drs out there who refuse to take certain patients and treatments due to their 'religous conscience'.

Can you elaborate on that? Specifically, are you saying there are doctors who refuse gay patients on this basis? Is this allowed under the equality act?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

LookingFor wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on that? Specifically, are you saying there are doctors who refuse gay patients on this basis? Is this allowed under the equality act?

Its not allowed, and I doubt there are any that explicitly do it either - but they can make it bloody awkward for a gay patient.

However, some elderly GPs or strictly religious GPs will refuse to deal with the entire concept of contraception, many of the main private hospitals refuse to allow surgery such as tubal ligations to be carried out due to being owned by either religious charities or right-wing christians, and so on. Lots don't carry out STI testing but that is sometimes for practicality reasons.

• Advertisement

Thank you for so eloquently illuminating what I was feeling.
    I hope your friend's parent is able to come to terms with his/her son's sexuality when your friend decides to come out, or god forbid, is outed.

Thanks for the other info as well.
    lst wrote: »
    That fine piece of hate speech was issued from one Rory O'Hanlon SC in 1980. At the time Dr O'Hanlon was representing the State. Furthermore those who some of his clients moved to are equally homophobic. We all know of GPs overseas who will recommend conversion therapy, and I know counseling psychologists here who would subscribe to the principal that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice.

Furthermore a closeted friend is the son of a GP in Dublin CC who believes "all gay men should be shot"....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Apogee

lst wrote: »
    That fine piece of hate speech was issued from one Rory O'Hanlon SC in 1980. At the time Dr O'Hanlon was representing the State. Even those who some of his clients moved to are equally homophobic.

I think you're confusing former Justice Rory O'Hanlon with Dr Rory O'Hanlon TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

In which case I stand corrected!

My understanding was that Rory O Hanlon TD had uttered some similar remarks in his capacity as Minister for Health and when I looked it up thats what I found

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conmalone

While doctors are ethically and legally obliged to treat patients equally - regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. - unfortunately they may not always feel comfortable or competent doing so. LGBT health issues are not a formal part of medical training; as a result there is a surprising knowledge gap, even among LGBT doctors themselves!

Most of us have good relationships with our GPs, however many patients report bad experiences; this is particularly the case for transgender individuals. GPs may make incorrect presumptions about gender, orientation, HIV status, family structures, etc. which can act as a barrier to providing high quality care. If you have only 10-15 minutes with your doctor, it can be quite difficult to educate him or her on LGBT issues, and in fairness that burden should not be on the patient.

Gay Doctors Ireland (www.gaydoctorsireland.ie) is compiling a list of LGBT-friendly GPs, both gay and straight, who are particularly interested in serving the gay community. While we are happy to facilitate patients in this way, our long-term aim is to improve medical training to ensure that *all* GPs are equipped to care for LGBT patients. We will also be working with the Irish College of General Practitioners, the Irish Medical Organisation and other national groups to make LGBT health issues a compulsory part of GP training.

For more information, please email us - gaydoctorsireland@gmail.com - and do let us know of any GPs you would recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

LookingFor wrote: »
    conmalone wrote: »
    While doctors are ethically and legally obliged to treat patients equally

You have to be taken on as their patient first and be thier patient for it to apply.

If someone on seeing a dr for the first time was to say they were gay the dr can say sorry my books are full.

I know of someone who had moved house and went to the now local drs office and was refused to be taken on as a patient as the dr was catholic and refused to prescribe contraceptives.

HOORAY! =D
    Gay Doctors Ireland (www.gaydoctorsireland.ie) is compiling a list of LGBT-friendly GPs, both gay and straight, who are particularly interested in serving the gay community.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bureau2009

(www.gaydoctorsireland.ie) is compiling a list of LGBT-friendly GPs, both gay and straight, who are particularly interested in serving the gay community.

This is EXACTLY the information I feel many gay people are looking for.

And also information on doctors who do STI screening would be very helpful.

Very best wishes to gaydoctorsireland - I'm sure it will prove to be a valuable resource in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gayguy2009

Hey guys does anyone know of any GP's in Dublin that are good with dealing with gay people? I have an embarrassing problem that needs dealing with fast. I just wouldnt be comfortable discussing them with my current GP. Thanks guys

gayguy2009 wrote: »
    Hey guys does anyone know of any GP's in Dublin that are good with dealing with gay people? I have an embarrassing problem that needs dealing with fast. I just wouldnt be comfortable discussing them with my current GP. Thanks guys

Is it an STI problem

Maybe drop into the GMHS clinic

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Sexualhealth/Gay_Men's_Health_Service/STI_Clinics/

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gayguy2009

No its not, just an embarrasing one :( I'm kind of hoping to have a GP i'm comfortable talking bout my orientation. I'm just not comfortable saying it to my own doctor.

Advertisement