Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scart to HDMI adaptor

Options
  • 28-06-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭

I want to connect my UPC DVR to my Onkyo TX-SR308 and then on to my Samsung UE46C5100 LED television. The only connection on the back of the UPC box is a scart connection however I've no scart connection on the Onkyo. How do other people connect their UPC boxes to their home entertainment systems as I am having no luck finding a scart to HDMI converter? Or should I try get a scart to 3 Phono Leads or will I be losing loads of quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

sugarman wrote: »
    If you wanted, there are Scart to HDMI upscaller boxes available on ebay & the likes. They're fairly pricey tho (€50+), it would prob be cheaper to get a new UPC HD box with HDMI tbh.

Can you not use a scart to RGB cable? Slight better than AV.
    At the moment, I'm using a scart to RGB going into the TV and using the 3.5mm headphone jack from the TV to the AV receiver for the sound. It's not ideal....the AV receiver doesn't have an RGB slot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

fletch wrote: »
    At the moment, I'm using a scart to RGB going into the TV and using the 3.5mm headphone jack from the TV to the AV receiver for the sound. It's not ideal....the AV receiver doesn't have an RGB slot :(

Indeed, and the best connection you can get without great expense is a S-Video cable.

You can convert RGB to Component, but it requires a box such as this to apply the electrical mathematical equation to all the signals.
    Some DVDRecorders that accept SCART can output via component (effectively the above linked box) - this is what I do.

The new UPC HD box is HDMI which might be the best upgrade if it is available to you.

I bought a Scart to Triple Phono. When I connect it directly into the back of the television it works perfectly however when I route it through the amplifier, and then on to the TV using a HDMI cable, only the sound comes out through the speakers, I don't get any video...any ideas?

Looks like the AV receiver can't take input from the phono leads and output video..although it will output the sound which is strange... :confused:

Looks like the AV receiver can't take input from the phono leads and output video..although it will output the sound which is strange... :confused:

In the manual (page 8) I presume you connected the red/white and yellow to the correct sockets on the same input (eg cbl/sat) - the reason I ask is because I sometimes miss the correct socket reaching in behind my AVP.

Next, assuming they are in the correct sockets, you have to assign the video and audio inputs to that source. It seems (page 29) that the default video source for CBL/SAT is component 2 rather than composite.

You can adjust these in the menu of the receiver. Let us know how you get on, or where you get stuck.

• Advertisement

nereid wrote: »
    In the manual (page 8) I presume you connected the red/white and yellow to the correct sockets on the same input (eg cbl/sat) - the reason I ask is because I sometimes miss the correct socket reaching in behind my AVP.
    I did yes.
    Next, assuming they are in the correct sockets, you have to assign the video and audio inputs to that source. It seems (page 29) that the default video source for CBL/SAT is component 2 rather than composite.

You can adjust these in the menu of the receiver. Let us know how you get on, or where you get stuck.
    I'll have a look again tonight but I did a lot of playing with this and nothing seemed to work. Should it be able to take the video in using the yellow cable of the triple phono cable and output to the tv using HDMI? (I would have thought so)

I did yes.
    I'll have a look again tonight but I did a lot of playing with this and nothing seemed to work. Should it be able to take the video in using the yellow cable of the triple phono cable and output to the tv using HDMI? (I would have thought so)

Bugger, Apologies, I missed the bit on page 19:
    onkyo wrote:
    When choosing a connection format, bear in mind that the
    AV receiver doesn’t convert between formats, so only outputs
    of the same format as the input will output the signal.

so no, it won't convert to HDMI, you have to connect the yellow composite out to your TV as well as HDMI.

Bugger, Apologies, I missed the bit on page 19:

so no, it won't convert to HDMI, you have to connect the yellow composite out to your TV as well as HDMI.
    I missed that too! Thanks for spotting it. I think I'm gona just ring UPC and get a HD box so that way everything will be HDMI. Thanks a mill for all your help! Much appreciated.

I missed that too! Thanks for spotting it. I think I'm gona just ring UPC and get a HD box so that way everything will be HDMI. Thanks a mill for all your help! Much appreciated.

I'm waiting for the "upgrade" to my area to get that box too. By all accounts its the business.

Best of luck with it.

I'm waiting for the "upgrade" to my area to get that box too. By all accounts its the business.

Best of luck with it.
    Rang them there and they're couriering one out to me, its available in my area, happy days! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement