Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a caravan?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi there
    I have had a look through the golden pages and google and it seems that there are very few places that sell caravans in this country.
    Where do people buy?
    If I buy a caravan in the UK is it subject to VRT or any import tax? I assume not since it does not have an engine?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

www.donedeal.ie has a fair few on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

As Marty says Donedeal.ie always has a good few second-hand. If you are buying second-hand be sure you know how caravans are registered on CRIS and check that it is not stolen. You also need to know how to test a caravan for damp.

If you buy in the UK it is not subject to VRT or any other sort of import tax but you may need to pay VAT. There is not much to be saved by buying new in the UK once you take your costs into account. If you buy locally you will start to build a relationship with your dealer and I have found this to be invaluable for warranty issues, spares etc.

There are four new caravan dealerships in this country that I know of and each of them have caravans from different manufacturers. If you have a particular manufacturer / model in mind you will be tied to the dealer that sells that caravan. Otherwise, look at the different ranges available and when you have found the caravan you want go with that dealer.

Buckleys Caravans Mallow
    Charles Camping Blessington
    Westlink Cravans Cork
    Camping Crazy New Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I recently bought a caravan in the UK.. much better selection of nearly new stuff there. Also compared to the private sale ones I looked at here they were in vastly superior condition. I guess everyone here who has a decent caravan is not selling it!

You just need to factor about 500 Euro to fetch it!

No VRT of course and no VAT on a private sale. Of course even buying new and paying the VAT in the UK is cheaper as VAT is lower there. I don't think anyone from the revenue is chasing people importing the odd caravan for private use either.

As preivous poster says - be careful not buy a stolen one as you may have to surrender it at the port!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

www.downshirecaravans.com are north of the border in Banbridge, well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

I would agree with guys and their recommendations! I bought my caravan in the UK, after traveling all over the country here!! There is alot of dealers advertised in the Donedeal, to be very careful with!!! I would recommend to buy in the UK there is alot private genuine caravaners and a better selection of caravans, Where ever you do decide to buy, Do a CRIS check!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 aja72

There are many sources available on net. In May I was brought caravan through one dealer of California. I was found the dealer information form her:- www.ronsamericanrv.com Try this source I hope you will find some helpful information form this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

aja72 wrote: »
    There are many sources available on net. In May I was brought caravan through one dealer of California. I was found the dealer information form her:- www.ronsamericanrv.com Try this source I hope you will find some helpful information form this.

aja72 ...no offence, but please stop pushing pointless US RV and caravan sites, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 darcompasss

you could try www.everthingcaravan.ie they are in wexford.i got one there and cant fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I moved from a camper to a caravan this year. After looking at a few right sheds, I bought from a genuine guy in Charleville, Co. Cork who deals smalltime in caravans. He was recommended by a friend who has bought 2 caravans from him. PM me for details if it is any use.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 aja72

You can find information from many sites who are specialized in selling caravan. You can buy caravan from E-bay also i thin k this is the world famous auto selling site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement