Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (giant) AT AT spotted in Smyths.

Options
  • 28-06-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

Maybe you guys aren't that fussed with the toys, but saw it in Smyths this morning. IIRC it wasn't due for another month (?)

150 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

ya its all to do with thw 2010 vintage line empire strikes back figures and return of the jedi, they like nice, love at ats my favourit toy of all time still have my at at from way back in the 80s!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DualBladez

wow thats amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

looks cool, did you see if they had any of the 30th anniversary, 'Empire Strikes Back' figures in by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

49ers fan wrote: »
    looks cool, did you see if they had any of the 30th anniversary, 'Empire Strikes Back' figures in by any chance?

Unfortunately they just had the same old crap Clone Wars figures. I would love to see those ESB figures myself.

I got the new AT - AT, and it really is stunning. You can indeed fit six fugures in the head and the back section can hold two speeder bikes side by side. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros

It's a much better size than the old Kenner version

Movie accurate interior

The new AT - ST looks great byside it

It's now possible to recreate scenes from the movies in the interior

The middle scetion can hold quite a lot of imperials

It has the hatch for Luke, and a grappling hook

The back section can act as a small garage for two speeder bikes side by side

The head doesn't droop like the old AT - AT

Lots of great movie phrases

Nice big feet

The new scaled down, and more movie accurate snow speeder can fly though the legs.

Cons

The guns at the side of the head could've been more detailed and more movie accurate

A second AT - AT driver is not included

The saga AT - AT commander doesn't quite fit in the head, due to him being very tall. For the time being I've hat to use the vintage AT - AT commander, until I can get the new 30th anniversary ESB version of that figure.

It should have had more weathering applied to it

The pros definitely outweigh the cons for this superb vehicle.

• Advertisement

Yeah those figures aren't great, would love to pick up one of these, sounds savage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28eRlavUeB0

Vid showing the original and new version.

Venom wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28eRlavUeB0

Vid showing the original and new version.

That looks a freat video, and thanks for posting it. The new AT-AT just blows away the old Kenner version in every respect. I hope Hasbro might think about making bigger versions of the Jawa Sandcrawler, Imperial Shuttle and possibly Jabba's Sail Barge.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

whats best price for it here in dublin also?

irishjay wrote: »
    whats best price for it here in dublin also?

As far as I know it's still €150, nut believe it's well worth it.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Unfortunately they just had the same old crap Clone Wars figures. I would love to see those ESB figures myself.

I got the new AT - AT, and it really is stunning. You can indeed fit six fugures in the head and the back section can hold two speeder bikes side by side. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros

It's a much better size than the old Kenner version

Movie accurate interior

The new AT - ST looks great byside it

It's now possible to recreate scenes from the movies in the interior

The middle scetion can hold quite a lot of imperials

It has the hatch for Luke, and a grappling hook

The back section can act as a small garage for two speeder bikes side by side

The head doesn't droop like the old AT - AT

Lots of great movie phrases

Nice big feet

The new scaled down, and more movie accurate snow speeder can fly though the legs.

Cons

The guns at the side of the head could've been more detailed and more movie accurate

A second AT - AT driver is not included

The saga AT - AT commander doesn't quite fit in the head, due to him being very tall. For the time being I've hat to use the vintage AT - AT commander, until I can get the new 30th anniversary ESB version of that figure.

It should have had more weathering applied to it

The pros definitely outweigh the cons for this superb vehicle.

Just wondering do you know how this compares size wise to the ROTJ AT-AT that was released a few years ago?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Just wondering do you know how this compares size wise to the ROTJ AT-AT that was released a few years ago?

Here you go:

http://www.toyark.com/news/attach/8/6/6/4/at-at2_1276806436.jpg

Here's another good review as well, and it also shows a size comparison with the old AT-AT. By the way that ROTJ AT-AT from a few years ago is based on the old and now outdated 1981 Kenner mold.;) As you can see from those photos it's way way better than the old version, and obviously if I were you I wouldn't buy the ROTJ AT-AT as it would be a complete waste of money now.;) Although this new and improved AT-AT does require a lot of shelf space. There is literally only a couple of millimeters between the roof my new AT-AT and the ceiling of my bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Here you go:

http://www.toyark.com/news/attach/8/6/6/4/at-at2_1276806436.jpg

Here's another good review as well, and it also shows a size comparison with the old AT-AT. By the way that ROTJ AT-AT from a few years ago is based on the old and now outdated 1981 Kenner mold.;) As you can see from those photos it's way way better than the old version, and obviously if I were you I wouldn't buy the ROTJ AT-AT as it would be a complete waste of money now.;) Although this new and improved AT-AT does require a lot of shelf space. There is literally only a couple of millimeters between the roof my new AT-AT and the ceiling of my bedroom.

Thanks for that. I picked it up the ROTJ AT-AT a few years ago as I had wanted one since I was a kid but think I will be splashing out for this one too. Thats quite the size difference although it does lack a little detail like you said.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I picked it up the ROTJ AT-AT a few years ago as I had wanted one since I was a kid but think I will be splashing out for this one too. Thats quite the size difference although it does lack a little detail like you said.

It's actually very detailed, but the side guns could've been more movie accurate. The detail on the outside is almost spot on with the cutaway view version from Dorling Kindersley. And it is definitely much more detailed than the original mold.;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

I believe that price is going to hold : Smyths are keeping fairly low stock numbers on this one.

Here's a great picture of the new AT-AT crushing the new Snowspeeder:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Uhdt7UHnA3w/TE-0pYwk72I/AAAAAAAABl4/mzGSfkwcq5E/s1600/AT-AT+review+019.JPG

The old AT-AT could only crush a figure, never mind crushing a snowspeeder. Also the new snowspeeder can fly right between it's legs, whereas the old snowspeeder was too big and too large to that.;)

cool picture

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

popped into the forbidden planet on the quays to price the ATAT and their price was wait for it.
    €199
    . then went over to smyths in jervis and priced the exact same thing which was €150, they'd plenty in stock and a far better range of star wars stuff than blanchardstown.

Yup that sounds like Forbidden Planet.

just checked the american version of toys r us. it's $110 or €84.62. if u know someone going to the states you'd nearly be better off getting them to bring it back and fix them up. even with the excess i'd say it'll still come in under €100.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Where is it made ?

China ?

just bought an ATAT today in smyths, down to €109, dont think your going to get much cheaper

just bought an ATAT today in smyths, down to €109, dont think your going to get much cheaper

I checked it recently and it's actually €120 in Smyths.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

99 in,toymaster jervis st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭skooterblue

Still €130 in Smyths in Cork

I found out a few more very interesting things about this fantastic AT-AT that nobody else on the net mentioned. The pictures are not the greatest quality, because I ran out of batteries for my camera, so I had to use my mobile phone. Here are pictures to Illustrate what I mean:

You can actually fly Luke's Snowspeeder between the AT-AT's legs just like in TESB, but they need to be just a few millemetres apart.
    AT-ATAndSnowspeeder.jpg

t's possbile to get 22 Imperials in the main hold believe it or not.
    AT-ATTroopHold.jpg

Here is the AT-AT's head with the vintage guns from 1981. Unfortunately one side will stay on, but you may habe to put blu tack on the other gun to help it stay on.
    AT-ATGuns.jpg

I have two Imperial Speederbikes in the back garage of my AT-AT at the moment side by side, with five Imperial troops standing single file down the centre.
    AT-ATBackGarage.jpg

Here's one of the Speederbikes through the side window.
    AT-ATSideWindow.jpg

The 2006 General Veers will fit in the back of the head with a Snowtrooper standing beside him, but unfortunately he will not quite fit standing directly behind the two AT-AT drivers.
    AT-ATHead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I haven't bought any SW figures in about 4 years...this sort of thing tempts me. Must...resist...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Batmanmot

Hi mate if your still thinking AT-AT check out Forbidden Plant, I heard they have a bit of a sale on. Don't know if any AT-ATs?

Advertisement