Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bass lure's do you use?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Im just getting into sea fishing, started fishing for mackerel and now im hoping to try bass fishing. Im down Waterford / Wexford direction. What would you recommend for catching bass. Im tempted to use lure's rather than bait. is this a good idea?

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Three and a half inch silver toby spoon.
    Kilty Catcher
    Basically anything that is long, slim, flashy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

There's a silver bait called a "German sprat" that has been successful in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Flying C's are essential.

Poppers are good fun to use. Ive had some success with them for bass but when its dusky/dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

Thanks for the replys lads.

Have any of you experience in using the Gulp baits, for example sand ells. these are the ones im talking about. Thanks

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php?k=298600&sk=266216&p=PURGSSE5-BY%20(1121683)

Very effective for bass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

coolwings wrote: »
    Three and a half inch silver toby spoon.
    Kilty Catcher
    Basically anything that is long, slim, flashy.

I caught a c.7lb bass on a toby yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

Would a dexter wedge or a german spratt catch

Sure. But the smaller wedge might be catching more mackerel as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I've had great success using the Storm Swim Shads this year off beaches around wexford, also its worth trying a surface popper like the Chug bug it a proven catcher and nothing better than seeing a bass attack a lure on the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Hi,

Would you fish for bass using a wedge/swim shads like you would spin for mackerel ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

I will try a few of those PeterK. Im from wexford and fished the south coast. Do you go to the south or east coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

you would fish the shads by casting them as far as you can and then just reel it in at varying speeds dont be afraid to work the lure by stopping and starting it the bass have hit mine after it has been left still for about 30 seconds as sometimes they follow it also its worth trying megabass Xlayers they are a bit expensive but work really well, and alternative to the xlayer is a Harts Absolut worm very similar and a lot cheaper

have a look here Mr Fish Jersey for some ideas of lures

@ Jonnyj ill send you a pm in a while with a couple marks to try around wexford but i hear the Cunnigar is fishing well at the moment

Advertisement