Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sedges

Options
  • 28-06-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Now it is sedge time of the year again. What your favourite sedge patterns and sizes??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

The sedgehog is one that worked for me pretty well last year on some small lakes in the west. Havent tried it on the rivers yet have to tie up a few more. Size 12 on the lake have to go a bit smaller on the rivers id say.
    Sedgehog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

interesting tying for the sedge-hog, without a hackle too….i have never really used the sedge-hog much… I prefer a devaux sedge, elk hair and CDC or just a simple hackled pattern with CDC wing….i think the devaux tied with brown mallard wing is my favourite…. they are all dries of course…for wets its hard to look past the red arsed peter in small sizes or a deerhair sedge….
    either way dry sedge fishing is hard to beat and is great fun....

The red arsed peter is a good one for sure. Havent used the devaux sedge it looks a good impersonation of a sedge. Have to try out a few varients this summer.

jack01986 wrote: »
    The red arsed peter is a good one for sure. Havent used the devaux sedge it looks a good impersonation of a sedge. Have to try out a few varients this summer.

the devaux is a very good sedge well worth a swim....with the caddis style 'roofed' devaux wings it has good silhouette of a natural sedge and that is most important….the oak turkey wing also gives good silhouette of a sedge, better than hair wings I think….although a small brown sedge tied with natural squirrel wing is good and highly visible on the water…. I like to fish sedges on fine diameter leaders….sometimes with a sedge pupa pattern on a dropper about three foot above the dry....washing line style so to speak… it can work a treat....sizes 14-18 being favourite sizes for the dries and 14-16 for the pupa....i think that sometimes anglers use a sedge that is too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

• Advertisement

fontanalis wrote: »

interesting but with no wing?? wonder does it work?

fontanalis wrote: »

Have to tie a few of them up and give them a go. Cant hurt.

jack01986 wrote: »
    Have to tie a few of them up and give them a go. Cant hurt.

Yea it looks good. Looking at it again I wonder if the body formed in wound CDC feather would be better. It may make it more buoyant. Might tie a few and give them a go. Definitely an interesting sedge pattern slim and not too bulky, like some are… But lacking a wing it may work better on flowing rather than stillwater….any ideas?

The cdc would be a good addition for the extra flotation. In the flowing water might give it a bit of movement as well like a fly struggling in the surface film. Found this on another web page on how he fishes the fly.
    I always start dead drift.
    If that don´t work i start to vibrate the rod lightly to make tiny movements so that the fly kind of
    shakes a bit.
    I also prefer to let it go across the river like a swimming pupa, using the rod to make vibrating movements on its way across the river. When the swimming pupa are on its way to dry land, it kind of vibrates, and crosses the river in different speed. Sometimes the speed is reduced and then it speeds up again.
    I´ll always try to imitate this movement but it sure is difficult……. but fun icon_smile.gif
    Terje!
    http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2010/06/08/step-by-steps-the-animal-by-john-terje-refsahl/

Advertisement