Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inhaler

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I gave up the fags roughly one year ago now and by funk lifes good!

And ya know what I used, will power! ha only messing im not magic like!

I used the inhaler and it was the best thing ever, even better than allen carrs book, which is worth a read btw.

The beauty of the inhaler is that you have the """""hit"""""" when you want it, with the gum and pads you know your getting it but how can you be sure? its still going to make you crave when see someone with a fag, but with the inhaler you just take a few pulls and all is good again, it really its that simple, for me anyway, everyone is different but seriously give this a try! It really will be the best move youl ever make.

P.s. the inhaler lends itself to smoking area socializing if you wish, no bother whatsoever!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Congrats Marcus! I never even considered the inhaler, but whatever works, works!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

I didn't either, I'm telling ya try it, was funny cos the girlfriend had loads of sweets etc for me so I wouldn't lose the plot and I never ate one of em, just got on with it! Honestly I shoulda made a bigger deal outta it for some sympathy but it just never happened!!! You a smoker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I didn't either, I'm telling ya try it, was funny cos the girlfriend had loads of sweets etc for me so I wouldn't lose the plot and I never ate one of em, just got on with it! Honestly I shoulda made a bigger deal outta it for some sympathy but it just never happened!!! You a smoker?
    Not any more. Quit a couple of weeks ago with the Carr method. It's been great!

Fair play to ya, Funny how easy it is when ya have the right frame of mind isn't it!

Not to mention being able to taste and smell again, the list of positive things is never ending really!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Is this the Nicorette Inhaler? I thinking of buying it today, how much is it?

• Advertisement

Ya that's the one, the yolk itself is free with the capsules.
    Depending on how much you smoke I'd prob think you be safe for 2 weeks with 20 squid!?

Got a pack today with 42 carts for 28 euro. Been doing the job today so far anyway, kills the cravings. Am I supposed to change cart after every use? Says to after 20 mins but I just use to for a couple of mins.

No just whenever you feel it getting too weak, but hang on to um cos they might go weak when ya use it alot but get stronger after a while!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'm on my fifth day without a smoke and I've been using this. Everyday I go out before work, during my two fifteen minute breaks and my hour break with smokers and I use this. I try to just use it when I'm around people who are smoking as it makes me want it more.

The ads on TV make it seem cool as fcuk too :D

I changed the tab once in five days!

So far the first day was a nightmare, I just felt like an absolute zombie but everyday since then has been grand. It's hard to think I've been smoking since I was pretty much 16, smoking 15 - 20 in the past year and now I'm finding it this easy to quit!

The real test will be when I drink. I quit for three weeks at the start of the year, lasted till I drank. But this time I know if I do smoke I'l end up smoking agin constantly and it'll probably cost another 1000 euro before I quit!

So I'm just not going to smoke :cool:

Damn right! Trust me, have this and a handful of things with ya on any night out and you'll be surprised how easy it is to stay off um.

• Advertisement

Off em nearly 2 weeks now, thanks to the nicotine inhaler and my will power:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi everyone, thought I'd post something on this thread, in case other people like me 3 weeks ago might be lurking.
    I smoked for 20 years, and the past few years was smoking around 30 a day, more if I stayed up late or went out.
    Loved the fags, loved them, psychologically thought I'd never give them up, thought I could never do it.
    Well, I got myself the inhaler and I'm off them a month today, just like that. Haven't killed anyone yet, although there have been a few bad mood moments, but it's grand, not half as bad as the thought of giving them up, taking the big jump.
    The inhaler is brilliant, I use it all the time, but I also find myself forgetting to use it for long stretches too now.
    I think to succeed you need to NOT make an issue of how many cartridges you use, just use them away. Even the first few days/week, the most I must have used a day was 9 cartridges. They recommend 6 minimum, and 12 maximum. I think I must have used the 6 every day anyway, usually 7 or 8 I reckon, except on some harder days.
    But hey that's fine, they're not half bad as if I was smoking, and I just know that the cartridges will go down in time, as I said I often forget the inhaler altogether at times now even.

You need to be ready to quit, obviously.

And you need to NOT be conscious of using your inhaler whenever you want. I go around doing my shopping, whatever else, and whenever I feel like it, in the street or anywhere, I have the inhaler stuck in. It's kind of nice actually, I've had about 5 or 6 strangers starting up a chat about it, some were trying with it too, some were just interested.

The inhaler from day one has been a way to prove to myself that I can live without them, I can go through the day without them, I can have a nice meal and no real fag, etc... Yeah I'm using the inhaler if I really need something, but realistically, it's not as good as a real fag, it just kills the craving and gives me something to do, but it does enough to get over it.

Don't let anyone be turned off by the fact I'm saying it's "not as good as". I think it's a good thing it's not as good as real fags actually, because it will make it easier to give this one up when I'm good and ready. It does give me terrible heartburn, and I often feel a bit full of air after it. But it's like the fags, you really want one, even when your throat is sore, and you're out of breath or anything, and you have it.

My husband has been off the fags more than a year now, and quit with this too. He kept the inhaler for longer than recommended, but his use of cartridges had well gone down by the time he reached the 2 months they mention on the box. At that stage he would change the cartridge maybe once or twice a day. He gave up in August, and around after Christmas, he realized that he simply forgot the plastic thing, and didn't need it anymore, simple as :D.
    So I'm heading the same way, don't make an issue of "getting addicted to the cartridges/plastic yoke", what's the big deal, not half as bad as real fags, and if it does the trick for you then so be it.

Btw just had a week-end of drinking and being around smokers, and that was fine too, didn't feel like smoking a real fag, not an issue, just sucked the inhaler whenever things got a bit tougher.

Long post, but really hope it might help someone.

Can't believe I'm a month off them, me !!! and much easier than I thought.

Each cart is supposed to last for 20 mins worth of use, I use it for about 5 mins when I get a craving so I use each cart about 4 times before I throw it away. I only smoked about 10 a day so I only go through 2-3 carts a day. Dont see why I should use 6 minimum tbh

A bump on this thread won't do any harm I suppose, and to confirm this is now 2 months on, and I'm still off the fags thanks to the inhaler :D.
    Not using too many cartridges at all, and forgetting it loads now, but the beauty of it is : if I'm stressed out and I really want it, it's there.

I have NOT smoked 1873 cigarettes.
    Makes you think...

Fair play boyo!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fj1200

Glad this was bumped and I came across it. Smoking 40 a day now and I'm fed up with it. Tried and failed numerous times to stop but never tried the inhaler. Must give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Subtle Troll

Whats the alan carr method? I saw it mentioned by another poster?

I thought there were loads of these guru lads and none of them were miracle workers.

Im down to a few a day now and anything to finish off the habit would be welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

Hello all,
    Ok so I quit 2 sundays ago using the inhaler.
    I did have one little misshap where I had one. The taste of it disgusted me so I'm ploughing on again with my inhaler in my pocket.
    I only go through one cartridge a day. I rarely get a craving (Maybe I'm just lucky).
    But I really think the inhaler is great. It helps with the mental crap and not just the physical craving.
    Makes me very happy to say that I am a non smoker!!! :D

I had 3 ciggarettes today, and 1 yesterday.

Lads, I was 5 days gone, no cravings, but when the mate was smoking I needed one from the smell of it.

I am gonna stay away from them tomorrow, I have decided, so I am still off as far as im concerned.

Any tips or comments?

I only feel the cravings when I am reminded of smoking, by smell or seeing it, not when I am just bored.

How to do I tackle tomorrow, and hanging out with smokers, and not going mental?

Take the inhaler and a funk load of cartridges and you should be fine, if you feel a craving drag on the inhaler, any further cravings are IN YOUR HEAD!! Just keep changing up the cartridges and you will do alright, the inhaler acts just like a cigarette and thats how you should look at it, but you can use it when others can't smoke! + your not killing yourself!

• Advertisement

I don't think I am addicted anymore, I have been off 3-4 days then on a couple, off longer, on shorter, so don't think I'm hooked.

Its the psychological aspect that is still at me, habit, smell, seeing a smoke, smelling it, being offered it, how to deal with it, just the mental bit?

Is it like the physical dependance, I just have to start beating the psychological desires on and off, like I kicked the phsyical addiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

In my 7th week as a non smoker...I can't speak highly enough of the inhaler. Thought it was naff before I tried it.

Well done everyone btw!.....and me! :D

fair play boy!

im off 15 months now i think!!

You have quit smoking for:

16 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours and 49 mins.

You have saved:

1,597.58 Euros by NOT smoking 3,759 cigarettes!

Wheheyyy !
    I posted here a while ago.
    All thanks to the inhaler, haven't let go of it yet though. They say you should be off it after 3 months, but the way I see it, if it means success, I'll keep it longer. Only changing cartridge once in a while though, maybe 4 cartridges a day, 6 sometimes.

My OH quit in August and kept it till Christmas, in January (last year) he was constantly forgetting it and not ever changing cartridges, so naturally came off it with no bother. Think I'm heading the same way, nice to have that crutch for now, cheap, and really without it there is NO.WAY. I would have quit.

So there, give it a go ! What harm ? ;):D

Advertisement