Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Cup Match Thread** Fri, July 2nd @ 21:00 in Colmcillles - Boardeaux V HUF

Options
  • 28-06-2010 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

GK

Clay - In

Defenders

Andy - In
    Cathal - Out
    Dan - In
    Ed - In
    Keith - In
    Glenn - Out
    Graham - Out
    Martin - Out

Midfield

Cillian - Away
    Collie - Out
    Conor - In
    Eoin - out
    Gav - Out
    Kenny - In

Forwards

Anto - out
    Ciaran - Work
    Dave - Work
    Jules - Away

Extras

Michael Mac (asst mgr)
    Art
    Dec
    Keith's Bro

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm in for this

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

should be there, hopefully leg holds up tonight and tomorrow night if i am involved. should be good for goals anyway if needed this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I'm in Sligo on friday but should be back in time for this so count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm out for this one, away down the country.

will we need some back up?

i can ask Mick, Art and Declan who have played for us before anyway if we are short. Let me know anyway.

we need a strong 13 or 14 out for this one, if we go out with a bare team with a few lads carrying injuries, we could struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'll get my brother up for this aswell if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

I am in for this one at the moment unless things change with the other half

these lads are on a bit of a bad run, they only have 1 win in 4. looks like they were top a few weeks ago, but down to 5th now, although have a few games in hand to move back up again....

we are up against it, but maybe we can spring a shock!tuesday is more important though first to get the 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm down in Kerry this weekend so will miss this. All the best with it lads, I smell an upset!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

8 Confirmed

2 50/50 but looking unlikely with injuries

Waiting on Ciaran to get back to me.

I've asked Ed to get some players,but if anyone else knows anyone, get them down.

Here's how it will work.

If we get 11 of our own lads, we'll start with them, that's fair.

• Advertisement

Art is in, he will be there. waiting to hear from Dec and Mick.

Ciaran is in as far as i know...he text me last nite saying he would be there anyway.

if needed, i will also ask one of the girls in the house to ask her fellow to come, he was asking me a few weeks ago for a game, he plays grass at at good standard, LSL.

I'll get my brother up just waiting for him to confirm, he's a Gav type player pretty quick and pretty fit.

Art is in, ye know where he plays!
    Declan is in also, he has played 2 or 3 times for us when were short, plays center mid mostly for Rocco, but plays upfront or can play on the wing also. has 6 goals so far this season for us and scored in both the friendlies v Boardeaux.
    Mick is out, he is not about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I can get a few lads off my astro team if needed. It sounds like we have enough now though.

so weve 9 boards lads, with anto injured.

4 more then coming in to help us out. 13 should be enough ya? will i ask that lad i was on about that plays in the LSL?

uphill battle to win this regardless of who we have anyway now, we cant expect lads just to walk into the team and do miracles! best to go 10 at the back and go for pens :)

na, lets just go out and enjoy it and try frustrate them.

I can grab a couple more if needed, I've another game at 7:15 and I've asked a couple of those lads would they be interested

edit: Playing for penalties ED:)

maybe 13 is enough. if lads are coming down helping us out, they need to get games, we cant expect lads to come as a favour and then not get a game or only get a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Good luck tonight lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TevezAnto

Lads, the very BEST OF LUCK tonight.. gutted to be missing this see you Tuesday for our road to "Recovery" in the league..

Eoin is injured now too, and I've not had a text from Ciaran confirming, just Ed saying he was coming??

Clay

Keith--Ed--Dan--Andy

Conor--Dec--Kenny--Keith's Bro

----xxxxxx---Art

Might go 4-5-1, pack the midfield, or else 4-2-3-1 with speedy players like Art, Conor and Keith's bro playing off Ciaran holding the ball up, basically play 6-0-4, we do need to take a defensive approach tonight I feel, I mean they are 7 divisions above us, it's like Forest Green playing Aston Villa.

Also, we need to take into account that we'll have 2 players who've never played regularly for us, and Art coming in, he'll know most of us.

• Advertisement

Ciaran's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'll come along if I can play up front :D Nah, have no lift. Good luck lads!

Got two more lads.

Gary, played with us before.

Niall, a friend of mine, very good Centre Half.

Clay
    Andy
    Dan
    Ed
    Keith
    Conor
    Kenny

Art
    Gary
    Dec
    Keith's Bro
    Niall

My brother can't make it but I'm dragging 2 lads from the other team along, one will play left mid he's a lefty

My brother can't make it but I'm dragging 2 lads from the other team along, one will play left mid he's a lefty

names?

and which one is the lefty?

kev the lefty a friend of my brothers he's decent enough other lad is Tom

jaysus tis confusing now!!!

at least we have a team anyway, look strong anyway. lets give them a rattle. try hold them as long as possibkle and work our boll*x off. last time we took on a team from the top tier, the game was over after 3 minutes, we were 3-0 down. need to make sure this doesnt happen again.

I've a handle on it Ed, don't worry ;)

What's your friend's name?

Clay
    Andy
    Dan
    Ed
    Keith
    Conor
    Kenny

Art
    Dec
    Gary
    Niall

Kev
    Tom

Ed's mate

OK, I'm giving "new" people preference for games in the order that they made themselves available, which is the list above right now.

However, I'll ask each of them their preferred position, if one says "striker" he'll be next in line if one of the starting strikers gets injured, and so on. This is just so I can't be accused of playing favourites with lads because of who sourced them.

also, I know exactly what I'm getting from certain people, having seen them playing before.

5-2 loss but a reallly pleasing performance, we were well in it with 8 minutes to go, they knocked in 2 late goals. even at 4-2, gary had a great chance that scraped the post and they scored the 5th from the next attack.for the majority of the game, we more than matched them, but one difference - cuteness.

they knew when to boot the ball 60 yards and they had 3 lads who won ball no matter how it ws played to them. we also did the same and caused them alot of problems, alot. we had them on the rack until it went to 3-1, i was sure we would get back into it.

but we made 3 mistakes where we were under no pressure to clear and we gave possesion to them, 3 goals. realistically, they made no mistakes, we made 3. silly goals, had we put the boot behind it, we wouldnts have condeded them. harsh lesson.

and lads, these are a top team. they can match when needed to. they had some super ball players, but they were not afraid to go route one. astro is not jsut about the best football team winning, its about who wants it most, closing down, not give the oppostion any time on the ball and sometimes, alot of the play comes from direct play. we saw that tonight, had we played the same approach as them, we would not have conceded 5 goals. i think jules pointed it out last week, we need to be more ruthless when defending and not be afraid to hit it long. when the option is on, we do it nice and neat, but its harsh lesson learned.

overall though, great performance against a top team and we did well for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Fair play lads, that sounds like a really solid performance with a mix and match squad, great to still be in it as a contest in the closing phases. Kind of game where you take plenty of positives by the sound of it.

They were playing after my match for my other team in St. Judes there last Wednesday - they are clearly a top quality team and I noticed what Ed said straight from the off too: they can clearly play ball but they don't choose to do it in their own half when under pressure. I'd call it a pretty pragmatic style of play and it works. This idea of playing it out of defence regardless of the pressures around is total nonsense. Our match on Wednesday was actually against IONA - another excellent team who play in a similarly pragmatic way but are lethal in the final third. We went 3-0 down and their centre-half was joking that our team think there's points awarded for number of passes completed in your own half. Totally different game in the second half when we started playing direct right back at them. 3-3 but we should've won it.

Advertisement