Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously thinking of emigrating but afraid of family

Options
  • 28-06-2010 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

my problem is that I have become fed up of living in Ireland.

I have lived in Galway for the whole 28 years of my life and am tired of it. My only decent friend lives in England, and I would love to be nearer to him than I am now.

However I am afraid of my family and upsetting them. I think that they have been holding me back.

How can I get over this dilemma and move on with my life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Funky Kingston

Hi!

Sometimes you have to do whats best for YOU ! Do you think your family would want you sitting about home being miserable ? I don't think so . Just explain that you are thinking of them and worried to leave (i know how hard it is to leave , especially if your parents are older or alone) but you need to do this and it will make you happy . Try to get home as often as you can and it will be all good .

The UK is a stones throw away . Your family should understand that this will make you happier . They can visit .... you can visit !

I say go for it .... no point having regrets:)
    jeoun wrote: »

I have lived in Galway for the whole 28 years of my life and am tired of it. My only decent friend lives in England, and I would love to be nearer to him than I am now.

However I am afraid of my family and upsetting them. I think that they have been holding me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭seenitall

jeoun wrote: »

If you are thinking of going, make sure you are going for the right reasons.

Won't there be a lot of pressure on this friend of yours, once you turn up there, with no other friends and family around you to support you - it can get very lonely, you know, and I speak from experience.

That bit in bold really jumped at me, I do hope that you have a bigger reason to emigrate to a foreign country than to be nearer a friend? There is always Skype, you know. Or are we talking about a "friend"? - Which would bring us back to the pressure on him of being your only friend in a foreign place.

Advertisement