Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet dating scam?

Options
  • 27-06-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some input, has anyone ever heard of a scam off a dating site. Theres this girl Im in touch with, she gave me her email, and now from the email wants me to download yahoo IM, thing is, all of her replies have been generic messages that look like theyve gone out a few hundred times. Feels scammy..but dont know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If it feels scammy, then it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Yup - could be a bot - download the file she sent you and you could be opening up your PC for their control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

If they haven't checked out your profile and sent you a message saying they like your profile and gave you their IM or email, then it's almost always a scam. You can tell as well as they spell their email addresses something similar to the following:

@ h 0t male

Basically they spell them that way to avoid the spam filters.

Google her email.. Some scams get posted around the web so it could show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Maybe she just wants to talk to you, give her your msn but don't click on any links, if she is genuine she shouldn't have a problem downloading MSN or even Skype.. , smells like a scam though so be wary.

Google her name and email as the above poster advised you to do and see if something shows up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 knitwit

Hey,
    I read of a dating site scam in a magazine. The bloke ended up with a whopper of a phone bill cos the phone number the girl gave him was a premium rate number. She was employed by some dodgy agency to pose on sites and give out the number. There was no way of telling from the number either.
    So be very careful. If I were in this situation I would just tell her I don't use IM ever, that email is the way you want it. Ask her specific questions also to see if she answers you specifically.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just looking for some input, has anyone ever heard of a scam off a dating site. Theres this girl Im in touch with, she gave me her email, and now from the email wants me to download yahoo IM, thing is, all of her replies have been generic messages that look like theyve gone out a few hundred times. Feels scammy..but dont know

1) If she wants to chat with you on Yahoo, Download Yahoo's messenger from their own website, not a link she gives you.

2) Does she natively speak English? If not, her written English could be a bit off hence the way it may seem like you are chatting with a phrase book.

Other then that, I don't know how ye came in contact, so can't comment on weither or not it is a scam. But it is looking very likely. Just go by my first piece of advise there if you want to continue contact and see how things go.

Advertisement