Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 jailbreakable by Spirit

Options
  • 27-06-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

http://twitpic.com/20dln4

Good news for all who wish to use facetime on 3g.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andrewshawire

I'm running a 3g : ios4 jailbroke and unlocked to meteor, I used the new redsnow and ultrasn0w for the unlock. Why do you think FaceTime will be out for 3G ?

Edit: sorry I see now. 3G network not the iPhone 3G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Right so people I'm on 3gs old bootroom I'm back on 3.1.2 with shsh all backed up. Can I use this and unlock with ultrasn0w?? This 4.0 jailbreak is more for confusing than ever .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Right, this mean that people with the new iPhone (aka the iphone 4) will be able to jailbreak them in a short while.

@keysersoze_88 You can already jailbreak and unlock the iphone 3gs with 3.1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Right so people I'm on 3gs old bootroom I'm back on 3.1.2 with shsh all backed up. Can I use this and unlock with ultrasn0w?? This 4.0 jailbreak is more for confusing than ever .

JB first with blackrain, and then make a custom IPSW with Pwnagetool.

• Advertisement

bkehoe wrote: »
    JB first with blackrain, and then make a custom IPSW with Pwnagetool.

Pwnage tool only for mac though isn't it ?

kjl wrote: »
    Right, this mean that people with the new iPhone (aka the iphone 4) will be able to jailbreak them in a short while.

@keysersoze_88 You can already jailbreak and unlock the iphone 3gs with 3.1.2

I'm already jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.2
    and I want to update to 4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Can 4.0 be unlocked on 3gs?
    while on 5.12.01.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 johnsmith1974

Hi - is there anyone out there that can help with an non booting 3.1.2 3gs? Just stopped working. If you can help please email me or PM me....

Need the phone for work, but cannot take the risk to upgrade to 4.0 on the iTunes - it wants me to upgrade, but I am pointing to the old 3.1.2 using Shift Restore.

Am willing to pay someone to walk me through it over the phone (landline)!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

* If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
    * If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01

This is confusing.

It seems to suggest that a 3GS running iOS4 can be jailbroken though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

depends how the 3GS was previously jailbroken

Wossack wrote: »
    depends how the 3GS was previously jailbroken

So if you jailbroke with Spirit previously you can't JB now? Is that what it's saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

keane2097 wrote: »
    So if you jailbroke with Spirit previously you can't JB now? Is that what it's saying?

Yes thats what they are saying!

That doesn't make any sens to me tbh :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

keane2097 wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sens to me tbh :-/

The reason for it is when you used comex's spirit jailbreak, you upgraded to apple stock 3.1.3 which gave you the newer bootrom(I dont knwo the version # and cant be arsed looking for it) anyhow this bootrom has not got a functioning exploit through which they can jailbreak the device. Well not a public exploit yet, ih8snow and comex claim they have a new hack so a JB is coming its just whne they get around to it. Or so their twitter says

So anyone who used the older blackra1n to jailbreak and kept their older bootrom version can use the exploits they have because these interface with that older bootrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The bootrom is not upgradable (it's read only, thus ROM ;) ), it remains the same no matter what firmware you use. I believe you're mistaking it with the baseband, which is upgradable.

If you have a 3GS with the old bootrom and have the 3.1.2 or earlier SHSH on file with Cydia/saurik, you can simply downgrade to 3.1.2 official, jailbreak with blackrain and then upgrade with the custom 4.0 IPSW made with Pwnagetool. That's what I did and it works fine.

bkehoe wrote: »
    The bootrom is not upgradable (it's read only, thus ROM ;) ), it remains the same no matter what firmware you use. I believe you're mistaking it with the baseband, which is upgradable.

If you have a 3GS with the old bootrom and have the 3.1.2 or earlier SHSH on file with Cydia/saurik, you can simply downgrade to 3.1.2 official, jailbreak with blackrain and then upgrade with the custom 4.0 IPSW made with Pwnagetool. That's what I did and it works fine.

Awesome.

Advertisement