Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cassette cases

Options
  • 26-06-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

I have about 40 cassette cases from my zx spectrum which are dusty and dity. Instead of washing them one by one I fancied just popping them all in the dishwasher and let it run it's cycle.. What ya think? Good idea?:confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I seen a video on youtube of a guy taking the casing off his genesis and popping it in the dishwasher. Turned out great although I'm not sure of the long term damage. Maybe throw one or two in and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dishwashers get fairly hot and i would think some of the plastics used in the cassette cases is a bit shoddy so I would only do it if the dishwasher had an option for an ECO or low power wash.
    Try one case out and see how that goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,641 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I would imagine some of those plastics have very low melting points alright. You might end up breaking the dish washer too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

I'd say give it a go - many guys (myself included) have used dishwashers to clean pcb's. (without the detergent obviously). Most dw'ers have a few cycle options with the hot ususlly being about 60C. That's a bit hot really - like was suggested an eco wash should suffice. (probably 35C).

If you want to check the plastic first - fill your sink with water that is just about too hot to keep your hands in - that's about 60C; stick in your cases and see how they perform. They shouldnt "melt" (even at slightly higher temperatures) - but they probably will warp and deform, so easy does it.:)

Best of luck.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I put a few of them in the dishwasher anyways and let it run through.. Turned out alright actually. Although 1 of them had a crack in it, but I am not sure if the crack was already there or not before hand... My dishwasher does not have an eco setting so I could only use the norm.
    I'm gonna stick the other 30 odd cases in and half way through the cycle I will switch it off. Should be alright :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I'd go for it but remove it for the dry cycle
    I've personally washed Jammaboards(Make sure to remove roms 1st) and the Casing from my NES without any trouble

Advertisement