Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping the burglars out

Options
  • 26-06-2010 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Last week my home was burgled, they got in through the back door. It's an aluminium door and was supposed to give good security - three-point locking etc. But the burglars got in very easily, they simply bent back the door frame.

I'm convinced this aluminium door presented less of an obstacle than the old timber door it replaced.

So now I'm loking for a new back door, probably timber (or possibly steel with a timber veneer), but at any rate it needs to be a lot stronger than what I've got now. Any advice on what's available and what it might cost? Would it need professional fitting or could it be done DIY?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PVC with 3 point locking would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Look at how they managed to get leverage on the doorframe to bend it. Maybe if it could be recessed a bit they would not be able to get leverage with a crowbar?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Maybe start looking at a decent alarm system first, as based on what damage you describe the door as taking it should have set an alarm off if one was connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I equally would have said a better alarm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

2 big dogs....hungry ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved to the new Home security systems forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

When you get your new door ask them to fit anti bump and anti snap locks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Jnealon wrote: »
    When you get your new door ask them to fit anti bump and anti snap locks

Anto snap locks are the dogs danglies indeed.:)

Advertisement