Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! iPhone stolen, how to get it blocked?

Options
  • 26-06-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭

So after selling my iPhone on ebay to a woman in Germany, she is claiming the phone was not in the box and there was no tampering of the package before she opened it. She is demanding a refund.

She is obviously lying or the phone was swiped before she got it by a very cunning postman. Either way the phone is AWOL so I'd like to get it blocked.

I don't have the imei number but this was bought from o2.

How do I go about getting this blocked? Is there any way I can get it blocked without knowing the imei?

What about Germany, who should I contact there?

I'd like to get it blocked in the UK too.

Is there a way I can inform Apple? Obviously the phone will show up on their system via iTunes more often than not. Can they block it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

had ya got insurance on it, if so the insurance co will have the imei, if ya only have the one syncing with ur itunes account, ya might be able to ring aplle and have them look up the imei and block it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

No insurance on it. I do have proof of purchase from O2 though.

I doubt Apple will give out the IMEI that easily??

Actually now that I think about it, I had the phone replaced by Apple under warranty, so even the details O2 would have on file would be incorrect (different phone).

Am I screwed here?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Elessar wrote: »
    Actually now that I think about it, I had the phone replaced by Apple under warranty, so even the details O2 would have on file would be incorrect (different phone).

Am I screwed here?

Call Apple. They will have the IMEI recorded under your contact details. They *might* give the IMEI to you - it's worth a shot.

why do ya want the imei anyway, will apple blacklist a phone for an individual,
    maybe ring 02 and ask them to request apple to blacklist it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Most common scam on ebay.
    Even apple block the ph it will only be blocked in ireland IMO.
    worth a shot though, don't give her refund, let her claim through paypal and you both provide your details, you provide posting recipt and pics etc if you took any of package, and she provide and prove the ph was actually missing from box when she received it and let Paypal solve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Without the IMEI number you will not be able to block the phone.

The IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a unique 17 or 15 digit code used to identify an individual mobile station to a GSM or UMTS network. The IMEI number provides an important function; it uniquely identifies a specific mobile phone being used on a mobile network. The IMEI is a useful tool to prevent a stolen handset from accessing a network and being used to place calls. Mobile phone owners who have their phones stolen can contact their mobile network provider and ask them disable a phone using its IMEI number. With an IMEI number, the phone can be blocked from the network quickly and easily.

@ guil

Apple will not be able to do anything

It's like the manufacturer of your car will not be able to do anything about your car being stollen and registered in another persons name, it's up to the motor transport authority(phone network provider) to stop the car being re-registered by another person.

guil wrote: »
    why do ya want the imei anyway, will apple blacklist a phone for an individual,
    maybe ring 02 and ask them to request apple to blacklist it

Wrong info, see the 2 posts above

deep1 wrote: »
    Most common scam on ebay.
    Even apple block the ph it will only be blocked in ireland IMO.
    worth a shot though, don't give her refund, let her claim through paypal and you both provide your details, you provide posting recipt and pics etc if you took any of package, and she provide and prove the ph was actually missing from box when she received it and let Paypal solve the issue.

All the details are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055950365

I'm awaiting paypals response.

I'll call apple and see what they say but I doubt they would give me the IMEI.

I wonder would it have been recorded by iTunes in the backups file?

• Advertisement

All the details are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055950365

I'm awaiting paypals response.

I'll call apple and see what they say but I doubt they would give me the IMEI.

I wonder would it have been recorded by iTunes in the backups file?

Did you check the receipt, if might be on receipt.

Did you check the receipt, if might be on receipt.

Yes but this is a replacement phone.

Yes but this is a replacement phone.

Good luck and have a look here, might be some help regarding imei
    http://www.sinfuliphone.com/archive/index.php/t-22110.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Try ringing o2. Maybe they will be able to block it for you. Or Apple. Maybe they will be able to do it.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Wrong info, see the 2 posts above
    care to read the whole thread before quoting me twice

One more, hope it works out for you.
    http://supercrazyawesome.com/

Good luck and have a look here, might be some help regarding imei
    http://www.sinfuliphone.com/archive/index.php/t-22110.html

Holy Sh*t! I downloaded that program and it found the IMEI and serial number of my 3Gs instantly!! (from a backup I made months ago on my PC!!)

A BIG THANKS TO DEEP1!!

I have it, finally! So what do I do now? Just call O2?

Once again these IMEI blacklists are not shared internationally, we dont even share lists with Northern Ireland.

So unless our dirty scamming German friend wants to live in Ireland unfortunately the phone will register without problems on German networks.

Well I plan to call Germany and get it blocked there aswell! And the UK.

I'll do everything I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Am I right in assuming that the IMEI blacklist isn't applied in all countries?
    The English blacklist wasn't in operation on Irish networks IIRC. Maybe apple could shut her down remotely for you. Or blow it up or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

lalee17 wrote: »
    that only works if ya have a mobileme sub afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Well I plan to call Germany and get it blocked there aswell! And the UK.

I'll do everything I can.

I don't know how well that will work.

Think about it. What if somebody got your IMEI - what's to stop them from ringing up your mobile operator and then blocking your phone?

While I have sympathy for you, I don't know if they will listen to you if you are not a customer of theirs.

Holy Sh*t! I downloaded that program and it found the IMEI and serial number of my 3Gs instantly!! (from a backup I made months ago on my PC!!)

A BIG THANKS TO DEEP1!!

I have it, finally! So what do I do now? Just call O2?

Glad it worked.

Yeah Just ring o2 or if you have access to forum, post it there that will be quicker.
    Afaik paypal can't take money out of credit card and also contact buyer through ebay and tell them that you are gonna block the IMEI internationality , that might scare her.

i presume ya registered the post or insured it, if so she would of had to sign for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

yeah unfortunately the phone wont be blocked in germany, it could only be blocked in ireland.

pity, i hope you get it sorted, but, i'll just say one thing, ebay has been known to protect buyers, as opposed to sellers unfortunately.

hopefully you'll get it sorted though mate, i hate it when folks on ebay try to scam normal honest people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I'd ring apple if I were you.

They might be able to do something for you considering the circumstances, ie: upon update with iTunes the phone is blocked or something.

Advertisement