Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad luck/Good luck

Options
  • 26-06-2010 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

I am editing this again because i can't really describe exactly what my question is. This might not be paranormal but I am wondering about luck. Does luck exist, what is luck, etc...?

Bad luck is that just lack of luck?

Does luck have anything to do with intuition, trust in that intuition, awareness etc.?

Or is it karma- does bad karma create less intuition and trust?

More luck to the people!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

personally i think luck doesnt exist. its all perception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

google richard wiseman

Nothing to do with the paranormal really, this world is made up of people who make good decisions and bad decisions.

Some people are able to read the game better then other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Luck is a virus that most people contract at some period. They are then 'lucky' until their antibodies fight it off.

[/kryten]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

Good luck charms, are they any good? Should I bring things around that I feel bring good luck?
    I want to but really don't know if I believe in them...

In a way I do.

• Advertisement

albeit wrote: »
    Good luck charms, are they any good?
    they work if you believe in them. There are others alleged to be talismans which have an inherent power of their own. Now don't run off to buy one or google talisman because most are a scam and work on co incidence. After all everyone has some luck eventually and then reason it was the talisman. Many claim to be able to make such things but i only ever met one who i considered could and lost contact with that person a long time ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

they work if you believe in them. There are others alleged to be talismans which have an inherent power of their own. Now don't run off to buy one or google talisman because most are a scam and work on co incidence. After all everyone has some luck eventually and then reason it was the talisman. Many claim to be able to make such things but i only ever met one who i considered could and lost contact with that person a long time ago

I dont believe in good luck charms. Its putting faith in a false charm/idol. The personal belief or "wanting to be lucky" is more than likely the creator of good luck. Or again it could be perception.

Having a lucky charm or talisman does nothing but increase your confidence, which is what causes you to be 'luckier'. You'd be better off saving your money and working on increasing your self confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

'Luck' is a combination of the Natural Laws of 'Cause & Effect' and the 'Law of Attraction'
    As we do and think, so we get back.

Karma is neither good or bad, but another description of 'Cause & Effect' in action. Its purpose is neither reward nor punishment, but education.

kylith wrote: »
    Having a lucky charm or talisman does nothing but increase your confidence,
    occultists, including the one i knew say there is such a thing as a real talisman with an power of its own independent of belief and that such a talisman is not the same as a lucky charm

I am not sure if i believe that.

But even such a talisman can be negated by negative thinking/wrong belief as one will not see/acton on opportunities.it could also be perception or post hoc reasoning

• Advertisement

As in intuition, intelligence or how exactly do they read the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Nothing to do with the paranormal really, this world is made up of people who make good decisions and bad decisions.

That may be partly true.

I believe it is equally true that some people more readily acknowledge their good decisions, and write off bad decisions as "bad luck". In this way, they may consider themselves unlucky even though they are simply experiencing the obvious results of their own decisions, both good and bad.

The ability to "read the game" comes from experience. To learn fully from experience, it is necessary to make both good and bad decisions, or better yet learn from the good & bad decisions of others.

The concept of "good luck" and "bad luck" is almost always just a way of perceiving events, rather than any inherent quality in the events themselves.

This reminds me of a joke told to me by a Buddhist friend. I'll let you be the judge of whether it's funny or not:

John: My father fought in the war; one time a bullet missed his ear by three inches.

Mary: Wow, he was lucky.

John: Not really, it went through his forehead and killed him.

Be at peace,

Z

occultists, including the one i knew say there is such a thing as a real talisman with an power of its own independent of belief and that such a talisman is not the same as a lucky charm
    And I say that that's a load of rubbish spouted by people who've got a whole load of ugly talismans to sell.

If you pick the winning horse at 100/1 it's not because of the rabbit's foot in your pocket.

If you lose your wallet it's not because you didn't forward on a chain letter.

It's coincidence and randomness, not an occult force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

i disagree with certain aspects of this. Not everything in life is controllable with one's own decisions, thus things that effect us maybe due to factors outside of our control. For example, if you decide to cross a road, and a driver decides to break a red light and kills you, then it cannot be stated that you were killed as a result of your decision to undertake a menial act, but rather the bad decision of the driver, which is out of your control, thus you were unlucky that a decision external to your own caused a negative effect.

Also, to make an informed decision, you must know all variables, If you do not, then what you are doing is not deciding, but rather guessing, which can have positive or negative results. In the way that good business plans may still fail due to unforseen or unforseeable circumstances, whereas it could just as easily succeed, due to what is esentiall luck.

That said, I do not believe you can directly influence luck with charms or superstitions. If you could, then it wouldn't be luck, it woudl be an investment.

Just some thoughts about words:

Fortunately=Luckily

Make a fortune=Make a lot of money

Fortune teller=Future teller(?)

Were fortune tellers originally telling people what the luckiest/most fortunate option was in their current situation and how they could make the most money. Now fortune teller seem to equal future teller- they are meant to tell people what is going to happen, and not so much about first hearing their story and description about their circumstances and then telling them what the luckiest decision to take and actions are.

Maybe being able to do what you love brings luck, maybe if you love singing and you allow yourself to just sing as much as you want you, whenever you want to brings good luck. Maybe that brings joy, maybe joy brings luck. Children that are not allowed to do what they want to do very often may become unlucky as adults. Doing what you want (as long as it does not harm anyone) may be a way to generate luck.

I do not know if I want to share this... Ok, I'll post it (not because I want to reveal the secret to luck but because I want to post it)

It may be something to do with the law of attraction but that seems so greedy and boring to do all those attractions-exercises, I just want to do what I want instead;)

...better off saving your money and working on increasing your self confidence.

This was probably the reply that was closest to my own final conclusion. But then of course if I wanted to get a talisman and I got myself one that would be lucky, but if i didn't want to get a talisman but got one anyway in fear of not being lucky, that wouldnt be so lucky. I suppose that relates to the opinion that they work if you believe in them. I am aware that I have started to answer my own questions here and that I have posted three posts myself in a row. It may be time to stop now, but thanks for all the answers they kind of brought out the answer to my questions in me!
    In relation to karma affecting luck it seems that we do experience less joy after we have hurt someone, and also if we hurt ourselves if for example we dont allow ourselves to do what it is we want and love to do, and my philosphy is now that joy affects luck. Of course perception as well, but I would not really equal luck with perception as there are clearly random things in life that we have no control over. Whether we will experience random fortune or misfortune, I mean that which we cannot affect, is basically down to luck in my opinion. Intuition can be used control it though.. Hmm, I think I am getting confused about this again. Maybe intuition is actually automatic instinct and as we grow up we learn to supress it and start doing things that we do not want to do, which makes us loose contact with our inherent intuition. Maybe intuition, doing what we want to do, and joy are closely interconnected...
    Sorry for the rambling.

I suppose I have been very lucky (?) to get so many interesting replies to my original post...
    Maybe it's as simple as decisions based on fear are usually unlucky, and decisions based on love/joy are lucky- but then, that doesn't work when you are crossing the road...

Zen65 wrote: »

This reminds me of a joke told to me by a Buddhist friend. I'll let you be the judge of whether it's funny or not:

John: My father fought in the war; one time a bullet missed his ear by three inches.

Mary: Wow, he was lucky.

John: Not really, it went through his forehead and killed him.

Be at peace,

Z
    I would say it was not very funny for the John's father! LOL

And I say that that's a load of rubbish spouted by people who've got a whole load of ugly talismans to sell.
    the person who said it was not selling anything and did not have even one let alone "a whole load of ugly talismans to sell" You are correct that most of them and maybe all are a con. Certainly any advertised on the net are
    If you pick the winning horse at 100/1 it's not because of the rabbit's foot in your pocket.
    a rabbits foot would not be a real talisman as defined by my occultist friend
    If you lose your wallet it's not because you didn't forward on a chain letter.
    true
    It's coincidence and randomness, not an occult force.
    that i cannot say for sure. As I have said it could be posthoc reasoning

Trashbat wrote: »
    i disagree with certain aspects of this. Not everything in life is controllable with one's own decisions, thus things that effect us maybe due to factors outside of our control. For example, if you decide to cross a road, and a driver decides to break a red light and kills you, then it cannot be stated that you were killed as a result of your decision to undertake a menial act, but rather the bad decision of the driver, which is out of your control, thus you were unlucky that a decision external to your own caused a negative effect.

Also, to make an informed decision, you must know all variables, If you do not, then what you are doing is not deciding, but rather guessing, which can have positive or negative results. In the way that good business plans may still fail due to unforseen or unforseeable circumstances, whereas it could just as easily succeed, due to what is esentiall luck.

That said, I do not believe you can directly influence luck with charms or superstitions. If you could, then it wouldn't be luck, it woudl be an investment.
    but the person who crossed the road did not know the driver would break the light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

My grandfather once told me that luck is when opportunity meets experience. I've never been able to disagree with it.

Advertisement